Won't regulate. Need Advice & Help

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Paula, Jul 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

Hello all,
    Michael won't regulate. It has been 4 mos since he was diagnosed with Diabetes.
    Please look at Michael's SS.
    It seems he has good days & bad days. Sometimes it looks like the excessive eating, drinking & peeing is tapering off.
    Other days there seems to be no change. I am so confused!
    He is losing a lot of weight, and I'm afraid he will get to thin to grab his skin for a shot.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks to all in advance.
    Paula & Kitty Michael

2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

I see from your SS that you are using Lantus.

What food are you feeding?
    When are you feeding? How often, how much?
    What meter are you using for testing?

3. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

Hi Deb,
    Thanks for responding so quickly.
    Michael has hyperthyroidism and is allergic to tapazol. Because of this, I have to feed him y/d wet. He eats about a can a day.
    1/2 in the am and 1/2 in the pm
    I use the Relion Confirm meter.
    Paula

4. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

Deb,
    I forgot to mention he has been on the y/d for 2yrs, and his thyroid is normal. (T4 is 1.6)
    Paula

5. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Paula,

I do remember now about Michael having Hyper-T and his Tapazol allergy. If you would be willing to add those tidbits of data to your user control panel signature, it would help us to help you better. Once the info is in your signature, it's there at a glance.

We like to see your first name, kitties name, Diagnosis date, meter used for testing, insulin used, any complicating medical conditions, food being fed. You should make a special note that he's allergic to the Tapazol. Hope you will consider doing this, so we won't keep asking you the same questions over and over again.

Unfortunately, with such a high carb diet, it makes regulation that much more difficult. I'm just not sure what to tell you here.

6. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

Deb, I updated my profile.
    Thanks,
    Paula

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

A thought: you might look up the iodine content of various meat, poultry, and fish protein sources. Then, you could cautiously test if adding up to 20-25% plain protein to the Y/D helps reduce the carb load, up the protein without adversely affecting the thyroid levels.

A nutrition consult (there would be a fee) with Dr Pierson of Cat Info might be useful if it can fit in your budget.

8. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

BJM. Thanks!
    I will do that.
    Paula

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.