Won't stop licking cath sites on legs

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Complick8d, Feb 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Complick8d

Complick8d Well-Known Member

When Willow was in the E-vet last night they shaved both arms to place an IV cath. The cath is now removed, but he has licked one leg completely raw and bloody and is working on doing it to the other one. I don't have an e-collar, plus I know with him, an e-collar will backtrack on the little progress we've made with eating. Any tips on getting him to stop??

2. janelle and Nomad

janelle and Nomad Member

There is a product called bitter apple you can spray on the area that will discourage the cat from licking. It tastes bad but is harmless to the cats. Most pet store chains should carry it. There are several other brands along the same time but be sure they are safe to use on cats.

There are e-collars made out of softer materials. .Several of my cats go nuts with the stiff e-collars and will scratch the skin raw around the collar trying to get it off.

The other alternative would be to try and keep the cath. Site wrapped with gauze and surgical tape for a few days. This also has limitations because most cats can work off a bandage in a day or less and you have to redo it frequently.

I hope you find a solution . I can relate to DKA being difficult and expensive to deal with. As you can see from my signature, my cat Nomad has dealt with DKA twice.

3. Complick8d

Complick8d Well-Known Member

Thanks Janelle... he's luckily stopped for the moment. He decided that sitting in front of the sliding class door and people watching was more appealing. I do have bitter apple, which I thought about, but was worried it would sting since the area is so raw now.

DKA is definitely no fun! Glad your kitty made it through both times.

4. Julius' Mom

Julius' Mom Member

I have a cat with a history of allergies. He licked him self bloody and raw in several places. I did put an E collar on him but he would find places he could reach even with it on. I tried different sprays like Dermacool but I think it hurt him. I recently had my cat Julius diagnosed with Diabetes and switched all the boys to a raw diet. I had been feeding Science Diet D/D and Z/D low allergen diet before but he seems to like the raw better and he has not licked at all! If he licks to the point it is bloody then you have the issue of infection, that of course has to be resolved and keep them from licking in the mean time... my vet gave me some antiseptic wipes Chlorhexidine and Synotic Otic solution to put on his wounds twice a day, it didn't make him cringe and run away from me and his scabs healed and disappeared in about a week. He has completely stopped licking.... hope this helps!

5. Lori in Ohio

Lori in Ohio Member

a homemade collar can be made out of a chinet paper plate.
    I had to do that when my cat was spayed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.