WOOHOO...pet sitter will test

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kris10mo, Jul 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kris10mo

Kris10mo Member

All my cares are washed away.........well maybe not so much. But the pet sitter volunteered to test Calley. I showed her how to do it and Calley was relatively good at cooperating. Got a reading of 193 at +4.

I told her to not give insulin if below 200. So she is going to come each day at 7am/7pm and test her and then feed and give insulin as needed.

A much relieved Kristin and Calley

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I'm glad you found a pet sitter who tests.

3. dirtybirdsoaps

dirtybirdsoaps Member

That is GREAT news. It definitely relieves some stress while on vacation.......didn't you say they have a diabetic cat as well? If so maybe you can convince them of the benefits home testing :D

4. Kris10mo

Kris10mo Member

She does have a diabetic cat. In fact I will be giving her cat insulin shots when they go away on vacation when we get back. :)

Her cat is regulated....maybe someday Calley will be too.

5. dirtybirdsoaps

dirtybirdsoaps Member

Don't short yourself there....don't hope for regulation......hope for remission :mrgreen: and she might be on her way

6. SweetAngel

SweetAngel Member

I'm so relieved. I was wishing you were in UK and could bring her here!!
    x

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Hallelujah!!!

8. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Yeah! So glad to hear that your cat sitter was willing to learn to test Calley. It must be such a relief that Calley will not be getting any insulin if her BG readings are too low. It's so much better that Calley will be tested while you are away for 10 days.

"Better too high for a day, than too low for a moment."

9. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

A few things I've learned from taking trips and having "surrogate testers," as I like to call them :lol: :
    • Lower the dose by .25 to .5u while you're gone. Mikey always eats less and runs lower numbers when I'm gone.
    • Make sure they don't give a shot if under 200. Yes, your kitty might run a little higher while you're gone, but it's better to be too high than too low. When you return, it might take a couple of days to get back on track, but it's worth it for safety and peace of mind.
    • Be okay with skipped shots. Mikey is sometimes not as cooperative with his surrogate testers as he is with me. If they can't get a pre-shot test in, then I tell them to skip (unless they were able to get a mid-cycle test in earlier in the day and he shows he's been running high already).
    • Leave clear instructions for what to do at specific BG levels (in case the kitty drops low while you're gone).
    • Fill a sample syringe with colored water to the proper dose level for them to use as a reference.
    • Try not to worry and have fun!

Here's something I wrote up and pin to the fridge for my pet sitters that I modify whenever I leave town that might give you some more ideas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.