Worried about civvies

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Squalliesmom, Oct 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

My oh-so-clever civvies managed to get into the sealed container housing the Stella & Chewy's freeze dried food last night. As you can imagine, they scarfed it up. That was a lot of freeze dried food for three kitties. Do you think they will be okay or could this cause a problem that would need veterinary attention?!?

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Only problem is that they may feel very full when they drink water and the food expands.
    How large are their bellies?

3. Squalliesmom

Not exceedingly large, not yet, anyway.

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

You might see some diarrhea.

Daphne and Squalliesmom like this.
  5. Squalliesmom

If that's all they get from their little midnight mischief, I can live with it, lol!

I know this is really not related, but the part of me that worries over my babies makes a connection, anyway: I once had a show horse who, through no fault of overfeeding, died in the middle of the night from a ruptured stomach (an autopsy discovered a defect in his stomach-he was a ticking time bomb) so I panicked at the thought of the dehydrated Stella & Chewy's causing the kitties tummies to expand too much! :nailbiting::eek:

6. Daphne

Daphne Member

My best guess is they'd vomit if it was too much for their tummies.

Regular dehydrating reduces the size of the food considerably, but freeze-drying doesn't reduce the size much (if at all). I took a piece of a freeze-dried chicken (Pure Bites) and soaked it in water. I didn't notice it getting any larger once saturated.

They'll probably be fine. All I'd expect to happen is diarrhea, hard poop, or perhaps they'd vomit due to the quick diet change.

Of course, keep an eye on them just in case. Theoretically all the food should move out of their tummies and into their bowels within 12 hours, and I'd imagine it'd leave their bowels in another 12-24 hours.

I have to put all my treat baggies into a tight-sealing plastic container. I prefer the kind that twist to close rather than snap together. Otherwise my guys will sniff out the treat bags and team up to tear them open! Bad kitties! Yes, they have accomplished this feat before.

I'm sorry about the loss of your horse. That's very sad. :(

7. Kris & Teasel

What a horrifying way for a horse to die! On a lesser note, don't even get me started on horse issues - my guy is a real hot house flower!

Squalliesmom likes this.
  8. Audrey's Momma

Audrey's Momma Member

I hope your civvies are ok Squalliesmom.

Methinks they get out of this situation just fine and they've probably very much enjoyed their low carb midnight feast.

Whenever I say 'Midnight Feast', it reminds me of the antics of the characters in the iconic UK author Enid Blyton's books - 'Malory Towers' and 'Famous Five' that I so loved as a child here in Canada, where they would plan elaborate feasts by candlelight or torch (flashlight) with teas, cakes, potted meat, eggs, ginger beer, slabs of butter and ham, cucumber sandwiches, creamy milk, loaves of crusty bread and and much more!

Audrey almost decimated a nice sized slow cooker Roast Beef in the middle of the night not long after her diagnosis during her midnight feast. It was a long story....and a crazy one at that. She also made a pretty big dent into a loaf of home made bread a dear friend brought by and I mistakenly left out.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...f-the-missing-roast-beef.132183/#post-1361254

Hoping for any updates on your civvies!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    Squalliesmom and Critter Mom like this.
  9. Squalliesmom

Thanks. Thinking the dehydrated S & T's doesn't seem to expand very much is all that kept me from bundling them all to the vet this morning, lol. I was surprised that they ate their breakfast (half-rations this AM!) and lunch. They have slept all day today, lol, especially my little stinker Bengal girl who is a terrible thief and probably the one who got the container open! She has opened all sorts of bags, boxes, tins, plastic containers and even drawers to get to treats.

Yes, it was a terrible shock to wake up in the morning and find what we believed to be a healthy, fit horse, dead in the field.

Daphne likes this.
  10. Squalliesmom

Oh, I have no doubt they enjoyed every bite, lol! I love the idea of the characters in the novels planning their midnight feasts - it immediately brings to mind my suspected ringleader:
    IMG_1997.JPG IMG_2068.JPG
    She even looks likes she's plotting something, lol.

Love the story of Audrey and the roast, that's hilarious! That sounds like my other Bengal, also a thief, but one of opportunity rather than planning! So funny that they always know they're in trouble, too, silly kitties. I know my third civvie had no hand at all in any of the planning or execution, he's too scaredy, poor sweetheart, but I'm sure he helped eat some of it!

So far no diarrhea or other bad-poop issues, thankfully!

Critter Mom and Daphne like this.
  11. Squalliesmom

Yes, it was awful. The vet said it would have been very quick, fortunately. It was a real shock, that's for sure! What kind of horse(s) do you have?

12. Kris & Teasel

I have a 14 year old quarter horse. He's my second horse. My first was a Belgian/quarter horse cross that I lost to colic at 26.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  13. Squalliesmom

Quarter horses are nice, one of my best show horses was a Quarter X (she was also just one of the best all-around horses, a real sweetie), she lived into her 30's. I'm sorry you lost your Belgian X.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  14. Squalliesmom

I had a friend with a Belgian mare, one of the nicest horses ever. I had a Percheron, he was sweet but probably the most stubborn horse I ever worked with, lol!

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  15. Kris & Teasel

I adore quarter horses and drafts or draft crosses!

Squalliesmom likes this.
  16. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Another Quarter Horse mom here!

Squalliesmom and Kris & Teasel like this.
  17. Squalliesmom

I had one full QH mare and the one QHX. I've had lots of others, too, though, mostly Arab or ArabX. Couple of Thoroughbreds (both crazy), a really handsome Appaloosa-TBX, Tennessee Walker, Standardbred, etc............
    I really miss my horses, wish I had one now.

Sharon14 and Kris & Teasel like this.
  18. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

When I was growing up, I had a mustang cow pony. Just like the old wild West you see in the movies. He was a beautiful brown and white paint that looked like he needed an American Indian on his back. A friend had to move and he just gave Charley to me because he knew I would take good care of him.

19. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

How goes the poopwatch, Lucy?

:bighug:

Mogs

Squalliesmom likes this.
  20. Squalliesmom

I have a very soft spot in my heart for pintos, or paints. My first pony, and also my first show horse, were both paints. I swear they were smarter than all the other horses I have owned!

21. Squalliesmom

Poopwatch is still ongoing, lol, although everybody seems to be okay. I figure a 24 hour watch should be good, if no problems develop in that time frame I think we're going to be okay. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Critter Mom and Sharon14 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.