Worried about Coco's Numbers! D:

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by CocoButterBall, Mar 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CocoButterBall

CocoButterBall Member

Please someone look at his spread sheet. He normally goes up b4 his PMPS, but tonight he didnt, he stayed blue all the way til the PMPS. I didn't know what to do at all so i went ahead and kept his dose the same. I have no idea if he is going to go too low or what. I have never had him blue like this before, someone please help me D:

He is high dose

I dont know hat i should do, i feel so nervous that i gave him that 7 units 30 minutes ago.

2. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

i think he's just fine. you don't actually do any intervention until he's down to 60ish . . . he's actually doing really great. you want him to get numbers in the 100's - that's super for him.

if i were you i'd let him be and check him at +2 or +3 after this last shot.

how does that sound to you?

3. CocoButterBall

CocoButterBall Member

I'm just worried that because he started at over 400.. and went this low.. maybe since hes starting in the 100's hell go too low .. I don't know.. its new territory for me. I prolly should give him a test break . i guess.. Been at it every hour..

4. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with high dose cats, but from what i understand the goal for them is a little higher than for simply FD cats...

giving your post a bump for more experienced eyes...

celi & binks

5. CocoButterBall

CocoButterBall Member

From what i thought i understood, you don't want them green.. he is a suspected Acro.

6. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

I don't know that much about high dose kitties, but your SS looks like the current dose decided to work. This is good. I know it's scary when you shoot those first lower pre shots.

So get some more tests. But so far Coco is looking good. :D :mrgreen:

Notice that in Julie's post there are links to how to handle low numbers... If you need a refresher on that helpful info.

I will cheer you on but may not be able to post again as I am in an airport waiting for my next flight.

7. CD and BigMac

Are you pretty sure that Coco may be Acro?

If so, then you are correct... Green is not what your goal should be.
    Test and if the number is getting close to green feed HC. Don't bother with trying LC. Go straight to the high carb food.

8. julie & punkin (ga)

i'm trying to remember your name - is it laura?

i know coco has some symptoms that pointed towards acro and IAAA or ? and you don't have the results yet - so i really can't speak to that. punkin is getting 7.0 twice a day also and we are starting to move downward. i'm so far from an expert it isn't funny, but as far as the little bit i know, coco is absolutely fine where he is.

if you look at some other spreadsheets you'll see that there are actually a lot of kitties that go way up and way down during the day.

yeah, i put those links in my sig line so i could find them. hahahaha, otherwise i'd never be able to turn them up! :lol:

hey CD! have a great trip home!

9. CocoButterBall

CocoButterBall Member

He has many symptoms of Acro. the tests are in the lab right now.. still waiting on results. But i'm not 100% sure he is. If he gets close i think ill have to run out and buy a high carb food. i only have his low carb ones.

10. CocoButterBall

CocoButterBall Member

My name is Andrea. :]

11. julie & punkin (ga)

you're no where near needing to give him anything high carb or sugary yet, but it's something you should get and just keep.

you don't treat til he's below 60 usually. they don't consider numbers low until 50 - again, i don't know about the special acro, etc.

do you have honey, pancake syrup, karo syrup or laxatone (hairball) med in your house right now?

12. julie & punkin (ga)

hi andrea! sorry i didn't remember!

13. CocoButterBall

CocoButterBall Member

I bought some karo a while ago. so i have that.

14. julie & punkin (ga)

for tonight, that's all you need. it will get you through an emergency. you don't have one yet, mind you, i'm just reassuring you! you don't need to run out!!!

while you're hanging out waiting to retest, why don't you look at some of the other spreadsheets. you might feel a little bit better if you saw them.

15. CocoButterBall

CocoButterBall Member

Alright, thanks.. Looks like I'm not sleeping at all tonight..

16. tessielou

tessielou Member

Hi, I don't have any experience either, and my cat is dipping into the 100s at shot time these past couple days, too. I'm just well stocked with low, medium and high carb fancy feast, for when/if she goes into the 50's or lower. It's scary, isn't it? But there's lots of experienced help here, so we're not alone.

Hang in there--I'm really impressed that you've gotten such good data. Good for you!

17. julie & punkin (ga)

i'll be up for at least another hour and keep checking with you. if he were mine, i'd go to sleep after a few more checks.

you probably want to change your subject line (edit the first post here) to say 3/17 Coco PMPS 175.

18. CD and BigMac

Just want to say this once again.... If there is a real good chance that Coco IS an acro kitty, then you do NOT want to go green.

An acro kitty's pancreas is working and the body responds in a different way than regular diabetic kitties. I don't have my notes here to explain it better, but your initial instinct was correct. Sometimes (I repeat sometimes...) an acro kitty will drop lower with LC food. That is why HC is recommended when the blue numbers start to head to green territory.

But we don't know yet about Coco. I'm just saying all this so you can play it safe. Right now things seem stable and healthy for Coco.

Keep testing and you can keep your kitty safe. You are doing great!

19. CocoButterBall

CocoButterBall Member

Alright, will do. Ill get his +3 and decide what to do (sleep wise) from there.

20. CocoButterBall

CocoButterBall Member

I rather him be high then green.. I do think he really has Acro. If he gets to close, i think i should take action. And higher sounds safer then lower to me. We shall see how his +3 test goes.

21. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

hi andrea. since this appears to be the lowest preshot number you've shot, you'll want to get those early spot checks done (+1 and +2). the +1 *should* reflect a food spike. the +2 *should* be about the same as the preshot number. this is just a guideline. not all kitties react the same.

if you suspect coco is an acro and you're seeing the numbers drop... skip feeding lc and go right to feeding hc. remember, acro's pancreas' work, so feeding low carb won't accomplish much, if anything.

here's some info from carolyn/spot (an acro mom) which may be helpful to you:

Food for green acros

Cat = acro.
    acro = functioning pancreas.
    functioning pancreas = HORRIBLE hypo's. we're talking hours-long and can be fatal.
    acrocat hypo symptoms = can start as high as 70

(Most acrocats do not feel comfortable being below 100 and will act very agitated.)

Why am I saying this? Do NOT mess around with spoonfuls of gravy mixed in lc, hc gravy no meat, hc meat no gravy, 1tsp hc, or a little mc with lc. Drop 1/2-1 CAN of HC, depending on what size can she has. ESPECIALLY if green shows before nadir. An acrocat will eat and eat so don't worry about filling them up. This is very serious.

Those feeding recommendations are for cats going off the juice and Lanky's goal is not to go off the juice. It would be nice if it happened, but the goal is safety, and acrocats do not react to HC the same way a diabetic does. Remember that essentially Lanky is not a diabetic. Tight regulation, which is what LL does for diabetics, can not be used on acrocats without enticing danger.

the entire post can be found here: http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16618&view=unread#p164748
    hope this helps...

22. julie & punkin (ga)

i'm glad you guys said all that - andrea, they are experts!

but jill, she said she hasn't got any high carb food at home - but she does have karo.

23. CocoButterBall

CocoButterBall Member

I do have some dry food from b4 he Had diabetes.. Im sure its high carb. . dont now if he'll eat it though.

24. Jill & Alex (GA)

if his +1 or +2 is lower than his preshot number, i'd go get some canned hc... presuming a store is close by.
    kibble takes too long to "kick in" and raise the numbers.

if worse comes to worst, you can mix some karo in lc, but the effects of the karo wear off quickly. if coco is an acro, you're much better off using hc to control the curve.

25. CocoButterBall

CocoButterBall Member

Alright, His +2 is coming up . so ill check it then.. 15 minutes from now. I might just go buy high carb either way to put my mind at peace lol.

26. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I'm hoping Jill will check back or there is info inthe link. The problem with dry food is it takes a while to work and then it takes a long time to wear off. If he's acro, you want lots of high carb wet food to start bringing numbers up faster. Karo wears off fast.

27. CocoButterBall

CocoButterBall Member

Alright, I'll not even think of using the dry then. Thanks

28. Jill & Alex (GA)

ok, post your +2 after you get it. let's see if it tells us anything...

29. CocoButterBall

CocoButterBall Member

His +2 was 265.. I Feel better with that. But i think its because during his shot i fed him 2 cans of food cuz i was worried.. i fed hm a type that's still low carb (6%) but hes obsessed with the taste.(it is a gravy and fish one) friskies flaked tuna in sauce.. he ate both cans in like 15 minutes. I usually only give it to him when i really want him to eat cuz he luvs it so much. He usually eats a 3% or 4% carb friskies special diet. so I'm still kinda worried he might drop during his +6 or +8 usually he would still be way higher then 265 though at this point..

I think ill check his +4 also..

He is a grazer also . he eats almost every hour.. sometimes more.

30. CocoButterBall

CocoButterBall Member

I didnt know if .. it was ok to feed him a gravy even though it was low carb or not. . I did it b4 posting here. I'm sorry if it was a wrong choice of food.

31. Jill & Alex (GA)

ok, good. no drop yet.
    i think your plan to get a +4 is good. looks like cocco has sometimes dropped the lowest as late as +8.
    if i were in your shoes, i would continue to get spot checks and feed accordingly. try to get some power naps in between spot checks tonight.

going forward, please get at least a before bed spot check every night. many lantus/lev kitties have a lot of action at night. without PM cycle spot checks, you're missing half the pieces to the puzzle.

i have an early appointment in the morning so i have to get to bed. if you need help during the night and no one appears to be in LL, please cross-post on Health for help, k?

ps - save those feeding instrux from carolyn/spot in case you find out coco is an acro.

32. CocoButterBall

CocoButterBall Member

Alright. thanks for your help. I tend to usually go to bed right after his PMPS. that's kind of the problem with me getting those. and it cant be shifted because i have classes that go til 10:30 pm starting soon. and so that it the earliest i can give it to him. Im going to have to buy an alarm clock and try to get a low point every night i think.

33. CD and BigMac

Number could be from a food spike and he may come down as the hours go on. But so far he's a lot safer. :D

Had to smile a little about the lo carb gravy..? I didn't know there was such a gravy. Kind of like a low calorie doughnut... I wish! Hahahaha!

It looks like your choice of food was ok.

More tests to see how Coco is doing are in you future. Good luck tonight... Morning??
    Got to go... Sitting on the plane now.
    Good chatting with you and I have confidence in you.

34. Sarah and Simba

Sarah and Simba Member

hey, glad to see his pm +2 gave you a little peace of mind. Looking forward to seeing his +4 :smile:

35. CocoButterBall

CocoButterBall Member

36. Sarah and Simba

Sarah and Simba Member

nice :)
    maybe he'll level out a lil this cycle

37. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

HI Andrea,
    You did just fine; Coco's high was likely his bouncing back from your nice blues yesterday. It's looking like this dose is working well for Coco, and I expect that you will see less and shorter bounces now.
    You are correct to know that you do NOT want to hit green and best to be safe till you get your test results next week.

As your background may not be known to others, and many know little about insulin resistance, you may get some who say that it's OK to get green but they are very wrong. If you see numbers steadily dropping, get out a can of HC and be ready to open it and give the WHOLE CAN to Coco.

It looks like Coco was just doing one fine looking surfing on blues. He was pretty much where you wanted him to be. Because his numbers were up and down, it's sometimes hard to decide what to shoot, but you did fine to shoot the full dose, I think.

A dose of 7u is quite high, and there are acros who are low dose - my Shadoe surfed around 7-9u doses for quite awhile, but she is now at 17u. Cats who are getting doses around 7u should maybe look at the cause for such a high dose, be it need of dental, some illness, current meds, or even just needed food changes.

In some cases, a late nadir can give you your lowest BG right at ps; I usually wait for 2 rising BG numbers to be sure my Oliver is going in the right direction. Coco's rise to 175 looks pretty safe as he was on his way up.

38. tessielou

tessielou Member

Andrea, congrats on a good night with Coco! I was up, too, so I was watching his progress and had my fingers crossed for you both. :smile:
    Hope you have a nice even day today.

39. CocoButterBall

CocoButterBall Member

and.. +8 is 340 :] Def sleeping the next 4 hours lol. Thank you all for your advice/help.

40. tessielou

tessielou Member

Yay on +8! Now, get some zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzs!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.