Worried about Cricket

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Talullah1065, Jan 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Talullah1065

Talullah1065 Member

We are now on 3 units of Lantus (don't know if I should be posting under Lantus section) but Cricket's numbers still aren't going down. I did a curve on her the other day (accidentally missed one check so have a 4 hour lapse in there) but no significant changes anyway. Part of me wonders what the point is of testing her glucose every morning and evening when it's always too high. I just don't know what to do. She's on a mainly wet diet that is carb/potato/tapioca/anything bad free. She is also on Young Again Zero Carb dry because she is a crunchy addict. She's not overweight. I'm so frustrated and my son (16 years old) is beside himself with worry. Any words of wisdom or advice? She is 1.5 years old and was diagnosed on November 30, 2016.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

A high, flat curve typically means the dose is too high. You had lower preshots with lower dose than the current 3 units.
    You never tried 1 unit of Lantus. I would drop the dose to 1 unit twice daily and see what happens

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I agree that your dose might be too high. You're also making dose changes in whole units and could well go right past the best dose. I really think you should repost on the Lantus forum where there are many experienced users to help you.

4. Talullah1065

Talullah1065 Member

I started Lantus 1 unit on the night of December 15 and moved up to 2 units on the 26th. I will repost on the Lantus forum though. Thank you.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  5. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Please be very careful in raising dosage levels at such low levels (under 5.0 units). We just had another cat hypo death on the forum on the past 2 weeks. It was very unfortunate, and sad. Hypoglycemia from too much insulin can, and will kill a cat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.