Worried about how to handle this!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tucker, May 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tucker

Tucker Member

Hi There, I'm at my wits end. Tucker was diagnosed a couple of months ago and we are desperately trying to do the right thing for him but it's not going well. He is on Lantus and initially started on one unit (using the pen for his injections) and the vet has moved him up every couple of weeks until now he is at 4 units twice a day. He has seemed pretty happy but sleeping in the laundry because he can't control his urine yet-which is very sad as he's a lap cat and wants to sleep with us. Each blood test has been in the 18-22 range, so the insulin doesn't seem to be doing it's job-yet he has seemed pretty happy apart from not being trusted in the house yet. Today he took a bad turn and seems lethargic, has vomited water, seems very unhappy. I tested his BG and it came up 9.6. Rang the vet and they said that this was finally a good number and he would be fine. Err...my cat is flat and vomiting. How can that be good? Is there something I am just not getting??

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome. How is he doing now?

3. Tucker

Tucker Member

Hi there, Thanks for the reply. Tucker only ate a couple of teaspoons of his dinner (Science Diet md wet) and the vet told us to give him a reduced dose of insulin (2 units down from 4). He is not himself, sleeping in a box and being very quiet tonight. The only improvement is when we go over a sweet talk him we get a little purr. I took a blood glucose test 6 hours after his morning dose and it was 9.8, then 3 hours later it had climbed to 17. I'm just going to test him again to see if the evening dose of insulin has helped bring that down a little bit. I've just done his blood test and his BG is 17.6 now. This is very scary.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

5. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Have you tested him for ketones? Please come to the Main Health forum as FurBabiesMama suggested.

6. Tucker

Tucker Member

I have tested him for ketones and it was negative. He's also had his pancreas checked at the vet and his numbers came back perfect. I just read a bunch of articles that have been referenced on this site and am a bit concerned that we are giving him both dry and wet Science Diet food for diabetic cats........and it sure sounds like that is one of the most expensive but not best products, and we could be doing him more harm.

Sharon14 likes this.
  7. Tucker

Tucker Member

Ok, I could use a little help here. I have been feeding Tucker Science Diet and have read through all of the advice on wet food only (we have been giving him dry and wet). I went to our local Pet Barn and found the Fancy Feast Classics. I'm thinking our labels may be different than yours? I'm looking at the Fancy Feast Classic Tender Chicken and Liver. It says Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein (min) 11.0%, Moisture (max) 78.0%, Crude Fat (min) 4.0%, Crude Fiber (max) 1.5%, Ash (max) 3.5%. It does not align to the label info that is posted on the link I've seen from this group. It does say it is a product of the USA (and "analysis" is spelt the American way...) so I am hoping this is the same food that is recommended over there! Can I get some help on this please? I don't want to feed Tucker anything that could harm him. Thanks Guys!

8. Tucker

Tucker Member

I'm trying to attach a photo of the tin of food. I really need some guidance here.

Attached Files:

9. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Yes that fancy feast is ok. Anything that says classic on the label is going to be ok to feed. I'm so sorry Tucker isn't feeling well. I'm glad you reduced his dose as it's clear he was being raised in whole units and not the 0.25-0.5 unit increments we recommend. Sometimes too much insulin can look like not enough. By jumping whole units you run the risk of skipping the ideal dose.

I'm glad you are testing for ketones and testing bg at home!

We have info in two dosing protocols. Please read them and decide which is a better fit for you. TR (tight regulation) or SLGS (START LOW GO SLOW). http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/lantus-glargine-levemir-detemir.9/

Scince this is just an into welcome section, please post any dosing questions either on the main health forum or lantus forum where you will get more eyes on it.

10. Chrissy66

Chrissy66 Member

Welcome Tucker's Mom and you come to the right place. Everyone here is wonderful and can help answer all your questions. I hope you get his numbers under control nothing more than worrying. As Janet said Fancy Feast is good and might I add, much better than that from Science Diet or any Rx canned food. I was talked into getting Candi some but I agreed to just one can. Got it home, yes, she liked it but then when I noticed the ingredients, I was like WHAT!!! I immediately threw the can in the trash when I saw it had Meat Meal in it. I feed Candi Nulo and it has been good. Also

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.