Worried about Lucy

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by jkzimm, Feb 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jkzimm

jkzimm New Member

Hi, I posted an intro a few days ago. I haven't got a spreadsheet started yet (I had trouble using my IPad because it's an old one and my son is away and has our laptop with him). I will hopefully have one set up next week. Lucy was switched from 1u once a day to 1u every 12 hours two days ago (Thursday). It's been going well, her numbers yesterday were the lowest I've seen yet, amps was 23.7, +4 was 14.2, +6 16.4, +10 13.9, then pmps was 25.5. She threw up last night, then her +6 from the last dose was 22.3. This morning she was acting somewhat off, amps was 26.1, she ate a small amount of food so I gave her 1u. She then threw up her breakfast about an hour after her shot. She's had a few pieces of kibble since then, has mostly been drinking and sleeping. She did take a wander around and do some grooming. Also I noticed earlier she was in her litterbox quite a few times, but only one pee is in there. Should I be worried? Or am I just freaking myself out...

2. jkzimm

jkzimm New Member

I should add that she was hospitalized 2 weeks ago for refusing to eat for 2 days. She was on the last day of antibiotic treatment for a UTI. After being hydrated she was sent home with Lantus. Since smoking home her appetite has been good, until last night when she threw up and since then it's been little to no appetite.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Without eating the one unit may drive BG too low. Have you measured BG since the shot?
    The not eating and high BG of 26.1 (469 USA) can live to DKA which is life threatening and expensive to treat. One symptom is note eating. There is also panceratitis.

4. jkzimm

jkzimm New Member

I measured her blood at +6 and it was 18.1. In the last half hour she's had about 1/8 cup if dry kibble (and was asking for more). I have been in contact with her vet and will keep him posted on her progress. So far she has kept the food down. How often should I be checking her BG? It's possible that I'm completely over reacting...I've been on edge about her appetite since she quit eating the first time. I will keep a close eye on her today and let you know how it goes. Thanks!

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

She's not too low at this time.
    You want the lowest glucose to be above 50 mg/dL on a human glucometer and above 68 mg/dL on a pet meter.
    The reason she is hungry is that she can't use the food she is eating due to too high carbohydrate and not enough insulin.
    A change to a lower carb dry food may help reduce the glucose further while you wait to speak to the vet. The 3 options in the US, from lowest to highest carb content (as near as I can tell!) are Young Again 0 Carb (online only), Evo Cat and Kitten (specialty pet stores), and Epigen 90. Otherwise, she will need an insulin increase and Lantus is pricey. It can be obtained less expensively by mail order from the Canadian pharmacy Mark's Marine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.