Worried about Newkitty -- -- UPDATED, see last post

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by allie and newkitty, Dec 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allie and newkitty

allie and newkitty Member

Newkitty has had some trouble with her hips/legs this year. I noticed she was walking a little bowlegged after getting out of the litterbox and jumping down off stuff. The vet put her on Dasaquin. She seemed to be better, I haven't seen bowlegs in awhile. About 2 weeks ago I backed off her Dasaquin dose as I am always worried about supplements and her pancreatitis. Then last week I came home and she was limping pretty bad on her back legs. So I went back up on Dasaquin and within a few days, better.

Tonight she got out of the litterbox and very noisily announced she had done #2 (she likes us to know). She went to go up the stairs and then started crying 1/4 of the way up. I went to pick her up and she did the boneless back end thing. We carried her upstairs and she did walk but only for a few steps and then laid down, a few steps and then laid down. She is limping and seems to be holding her left leg funny. We felt/squeezed her back leg and she did not cry out but it did tremble.

When she uses the box for #2 there is a lot of straining in a bowed-up position. She goes more than once a day (2 times I would say is normal) so I don't think constipation is an issue.

I am worried and don't know what to think. Obviously xrays are in order but what could this be? Does this sound like arthritis??

She is 13.5 years old and just over 13 pounds. She is on a hefty dose of steroids.

2. SaraJaye

SaraJaye Member

Re: Worried about Newkitty -- hips, legs? :(

Has your cat been tested for diabetes? Back leg neuropathy is a classic symptom. You mention pancreatitis, which often is a precursor to - or accompanies - feline diabetes. Do you have any recent blood tests where your vet has tested blood glucose levels?

3. allie and newkitty

Hey SaraJaye! Thank you for posting. Newkitty has been diabetic for six years and is regulated on 1/2 unit (actually just a hair less than 1/2 unit) Lantus BID. Her blood sugars are generally under 150. She is on Xobaline for neuropathy. We have never seen hock-walking but she does have trembly front legs--not as bad as when her BGs were highter.

4. allie and newkitty

Update: Newkitty is at the vet waiting to be seen. The vet asked if her back feet were cold, which I had not checked. That worries me that she looked at her walking and asked that. :( They had an ER case come in first so I am just waiting.

5. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

No advice.

Just prayers and purrs for you and Newkitty. Hopefully the Vettybean will get it all figured out and she will be feeling better soon.

Mel, Max & The Fur Gang

6. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

Wrapping you both in cyber hugs (((((((((((((((((((((ALLIE)))))))))))))))))))))))

7. maryjoandsmokie

maryjoandsmokie Member

I'll say prayers for NewKitty.
    HUGS,
    maryjo

8. SaraJaye

SaraJaye Member

Awww... I'm really hoping the vet gives you good news and that all this can be treatable...

9. Dale

Dale Member

If Newkitty has a favorite place to lay, can you put a heating disk or hot water bottle there so she can lay on it and help her arthritis?

Can the vet do an ultrasound of the heart to rule out any problems there that might cause circulation problems?

Hoping you hear a good report soon from the vet.

10. allie and newkitty

Hey all, thank you for your well-wishes & prayers. She has luxating patellas (left leg worse than right) and it has caused arthritis in her knees. Her bowing up in the litterbox puts a lot of strain on it. I need to get her slimmed down a bit (13 pounds is a little...round) and up her Dasaquin and some other med I can't remember at the moment. Her kidneys look ok, creatinine is 1.2 I think. Her bun was 37. Liver values were all good (which almost never happens, at least one is usually up). She needs a dental so now I have to work up the courage to have her under anesthesia with all her issues. I'll work on that.

Yes, Dale, she has a couple Snuggle Safes that I have been using. I wish they were softer. While I am awake, I will offer her the human heating pad on low and see how that goes.

Thanks again for all your good vibes!

11. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Can you add some pet ramps or stairs to help with the athritis and patellas? My senior kitties use them very often.

12. allie and newkitty

Hi Tuckers Mom!! I currently have 2 sets of steps. One for the quite high bed, and one for the couch. But she likes to lay on the loveseat and the chair too. So I need some more. So far she is still jumping up--it's the coming down she is not fond of. Her biggest issue seems to be hurting her knees in the litter box.

Do you recommend a ramp vs. steps?

13. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

I prefer steps, unless you can put rings on the ramps. The one I had for Henry was carpeted and he couldn't get his footing. I bought sisal rope and added a rung every few inches to it would stop his paws from slipping. We also made sure the ramp wasn't a steep incline. With the knee problem you have, a ramp may work out because she wont have to bend and lift, it might be less stressful for muscles.

For our bed we put a bench at the end so the cats can jump on that and then onto the bed and we can use it to. For couches and lower furniture I can get away with the cheap two step pieces that I've found at Walgreens, nothing too fancy. We also keep self warming mats throughout so anyone can rest on them when they want to. Henry was my last athritic cat, but our seniors like the self warming mats too.

I'm Jennifer, by the way, it's in my signature and I keep saying I'll make it larger so folks can see it, but I never do :oops:

14. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Allie, I think steps would be better than using a ramp. She can at least sit on each step if needed. If you put the discs between a thick blanket, it softens the feel up and the heat does come through..eventually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.