Worried about Nuzzles

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by RobinCot, Sep 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobinCot

RobinCot Well-Known Member

I am a little worried about Nuzzles today. She is not eating as much as she has been and was struggling to poo in the LB. She did get out some feces though so she is not blocked. I am putting Miralax in her food to help her with the diet change but she is not too keen on eating although she did eat most of what was left overnight. Her overnite +6.5 was at 75 and this morning she was at 305 so I am a little concerned that if she doesn't eat much today that she could go low. Ugh... it is tough being so far away and not knowing what is going on.

One good thing though is that her backbone is not so prominent. I am hoping that it is just her body adjusting to the new food and that she is not as hungry as she was before.

2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Come on Nuzzles, get better so you stop scaring your temp foster mommabean Robin.

3. RobinCot

I am saying a lot of prayers today nailbite_smile

4. RobinCot

Do cycles flatten over time?

Snoball has such a flat cycle but Nuzzle's is swoopy! I want to get excited about her low PS numbers but it's scary to think of how low she might go at her nadir. Last night she went from 459 to 75. That's a 384 pt drop.

I just hope I don't run people off the road trying to get home tonight!

5. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Flatter cycles over time? Depends on the cat.

That sure is a huge drop. Did she bounce back up this AM? Didn't look at the SS first.

Please drive safely home. We want you to be safe. I know you are really worried about Nuzzles, but if you get stopped for speeding or something, it will take you even longer to get home.

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Yes, the cycles may flatten over time if nothing else is going on. There is the occasional cat that does better on Levemir than Lantus, when it comes to extreme dips and rises.

7. RobinCot

Yes but only up to 305

Oh now that's interesting. I will keep that in mind. I do think she has upper respiratory issues (gloopy eyes, ear infections) that will have to be attended to later on.

I did drive safely and came right home and ran upstairs and there she was poised at the top. She got a stellar 281 for her PMPS so the +6 tonight should be interesting. She still is lacking an appetite though which worries me. I might try some other beef foods like chopped grill. I know that she is eating because the dishes are depleted although not licked clean as before. It is a lot of food and she just may not be as hungry with the lower bg. I could get different foods for her to try tomorrow evening. I am still planning to hand her over this weekend. If I can hold on to her until Sunday, I will do a curve.

She is still at 1.5u BID.

Thank you all for your great advice on her care and survival.

8. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

How much approx is she eating per day now?

9. RobinCot

Nuzzles is very sick. She is not eating anything now. This week she was eating about a half of a 3oz can of FF and a third of a can of BG during the day and a little less than this at night.

I am very worried. She is not eating or drinking. She has no energy. Her poo is runny and she is wiping the floor with her butt. She vomited anything she tried to eat last night. Her ears are very warm. Poor dear. I am trying to arrange with the rescue agency to get her to the vet this weekend.

Her numbers were great too. She only dipped to 129 last night from a 281 preshot (with a 305 at am preshot).
    Now she is back up to 559 :sad:

I have decided that I can't transfer her out to a new foster in this condition. Gosh, she was doing so well. I am worried that all those months without insulin and with HI bg may have messed with her other organs. I would be devastated if she doesn't pull through this but her suffering is so hard to watch. I feel so helpless...

10. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

11. RobinCot

I finally got permission to take her to the vet. I have an appointment tonight.

She just started all of this yesterday.

How is this treated?

I put a stick in her puddled urine last week and came up trace. Maybe these aren't the right sticks.

Oh, I see the primer - thanks. I will study it.

12. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Can you test for ketones today? Its important - anything more than trace needs urgent medical attention.

13. RobinCot

I am not home today so I can't really test her. I have enough time tonight to run in the door, put her in a carrier and get to the vet.

14. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Okay, please remember to ask the vet to test for ketones while you're there. It is always good to rule those out.
    I hope she is feeling better and eating more food tonight. Sending wisdom to her vet and good vet visit vines to Nuzzles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.