Worried about Sushi 10/3 AMPS~130|+6~271|PMPS~255|+4.5~249

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sushi (GA 5/05-3/14), Oct 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sushi (GA 5/05-3/14)

Sushi (GA 5/05-3/14) Member

Helloooooo!

I have to keep this short--it's wayyyy past my bed time! I've so wanted to post, but it's been one thing after another getting internet set up at my new apartment, and my work is VERY strict about using the computers for personal use. I hate typing on my phone; and I wasn't able to edit Sushi's spreadsheet from my phone either... Anyway, here's what's going on:
    Sushi is having a hard time adjusting to our new place. He raises hell all night every night, opening and hanging out in all the cabinets and the drawer under the stove, he's barely eating, he's having diarrhea, urinating a lot (but drinking a normal amount of water), and I can tell he's lost a lot of weight. For the most part, his numbers have been in the high yellows, so the diarrhea, large amount of urination and lack of appetite are strange to me. There have been a few times where his numbers were all over the place. His overall demeanor doesn't seem anxious, but he's definitely exuding anxious behavior. It's almost like there's too much going on around for him to focus on eating; like he keeps getting distracted. I bought some Feliaway (is that right?) spray and it sort of helped...I've only used it once, and wouldn't expect that I would need to now that our furniture is all moved in.
    Tonight it's to the point where he won't even eat out of my hand, and I'm worried! Plus I SO badly need a good night's sleep without his yowling and banging and clanging all night!
    I've GOT to get to bed--sorry this post is all over the place; I just wanted to hop on and ask for help ASAP!

Thank you! Hope everyone is well!! : )

2. Complick8d

Complick8d Well-Known Member

Re: Worried about Sushi 10/3 AMPS~130|+6~271|PMPS~255|+4.5~2

Sorry, I'm new to your condos, so excuse me for being clueless, but how long have you been in the new apartment? I'd continue to Feliway, BUT if this persists I'd think about having the vet check out Sushi just to rule out the possibility that something else is going on.

When we first moved from the house to the apartment, Willow spent a lot of his time in hiding and not acting normal. He'd wake me crying at night and spend time in the cabinets as well. I added night lights to the main areas of the apartment, and then confined his food and litterbox to the bathroom so that he didn't have to venture far from his most comfortable spot (my bedroom) to get to his food or litterbox. He luckily adjusted to it shortly after and I was then able to remove all but one night light. Hopefully, it's nothing more than Sushi being freaked out by the unfamiliar new surroundings.

3. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

Get on top of the lack of appetite quickly. Have you ever syringe fed? You do not want to deal with feline hepatic lipidosis. Cats stop eating for a lot of reasons - anything that causes them stress. Moves are a big one. Changes in food, losses or additions to the family, beans going on vacation, changes in cat litter you name it. FHL hits quickly with a big cut in calories but can also hit with a few weeks of less than normal calories. Your goal is to maintain Sushi's weight so that he doesn't use fat stores. Cats livers clog with the fat unlike human livers. Join the Yahoo Feline Assisted Feline group. You don't have to post or anything. But when you join you will be sent an auto file that provides in depth instructions and tips on safely syringe feeding and an article on tips for a hesitant eater.

The weight loss is extremely concerning.

Others will give advice on minimizing his stress and adjusting. I really jump in when I see a cat at risk of FHL. Maverick was my soul mate kitty and he almost died from this in July 2008. His story is in my signature. His legacy is to help other cats and their owners avoid this disease in the first place and help cats recover from it when they have it.

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

If Sushi responded to the Feliway, I'd use it aggressively and go out and get the plug in variety so it's present all of the time. Rescue Remedy is also for stress and it can be found in some Whole Foods or health food stores and possibly at Petco or Petsmart.

FortiFlora or any probiotic may help with the diarrhea. Some people will add pumpkin puree (not pie filling) to their cat's food and this may help. If your cat will eat plain yogurt, that may also help.

If these symptoms are not changing and it's been a few days, I'd get Sushi in to see the vet.

5. Christie & Willie (GA)

Christie & Willie (GA) Well-Known Member

I'd echo the use of the feliway diffusers. Coupons.com currently has a $10 off coupon for them, and you can generally print two. (if you don't have a printer or if you could use more than the two, PM me... I've got a couple in the car and can scan/email them to you right away or can get them in the mail ASAP). I've found that they have made a huge difference for Willie when he's had stress issues.

I hope that the move has otherwise gone smoothly and you are settling well into your new home!!

6. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

the feliway plug ins are the best since they emit a constant amount in your home I would get some of those and from the sound of things I would go to the vet you need to get that diarrhea under control and try syringe feeding if you can, like others said forti flora is a great product and you can also try activia yogurt in vanilla

Hope as time goes by things settle down for you and Sushi :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

7. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

Hey Ashley -

Been wonderinig about you two.

I'm jsut addinig my voice to the chorus here - I'm very concerned about the lack of appetite and weight loss.

I too recommend the feliway plug in iin addition to the spray, as welll as a probioticc (I use culturelle). Like Sienne said, if things don't turn around iin a couple days get Sushi to the vet. Heck, make an appointment now to get something on the books - you can always cancel.

8. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

in your sig line it says that sushi has a history of FHL - is that feline hepatic lipidosis? i don't know if that's like some issues, where if you've had it once you're more susceptible to it, but it would say that he could get it.

as i was reading your post, i was thinking that i would pull him into your bedroom at night. maybe you could take a benadryl or dramamine or something like that so you sleep through him moving around, but i think it would reassure him to be near you. i can't remember if you ended up sharing the apt with your friend and her 2 cats or if you're in an apt on your own. if you're with the other cats, i think it would be especially valuable to have him in with you. just move his box in too (yay for cat box in the bedroom! hahahaha)

for the next couple of weeks i'd try to spend all the time at home as possible except for work - he needs to get reassured that he's not going to be left. after having the pet sitter and making the move, he's probably completely unsure what's going on in his life.

if he beats the bedroom door to try to get out, you can block off the door by hanging a towel or blanket over it so he can't drum on it. i'd put a pillow against the door first, then add a fluffy robe, blanket, towel, whatever, over that. they don't get nearly as enthusiastic about drumming on walls as they do on the door. you can also hang a washcloth over the top of the door so it closes in the door when you close it - that would muffle sounds too.

to tackle it on all fronts -

get him eating, syringe feeding, put it on his whiskers or feet so he'll lick it off, heat the food, add tuna juice, parmesan cheese, whatever will entice him
    get the diarrhea stopped - try fortiflora, probiotics, all the suggestions from everyone above
    use more feliway - either spray more or get a diffuser
    spend more time with him to reassure him

if all of that doesn't clear it up pretty quickly, especially the eating issue, see a vet.

btw - on your ss - is the 3-35 meaning you're giving 3.0 units and it's the 35th cycle on that dose? or i guess what i'm asking is what the dose is? his numbers are kinda zig-zaggy - although not terrible. you want to work towards an identical dose morning and evening without having to skip, so maybe even a tiny bit less, or instead of skipping shoot 1/2 dose. you can also stall without feeding to see if the BG is rising and go ahead and shoot. when he hit 82 on 10/1, then 328, that was a bounce. but he cleared it quickly and was down to 130 the morning of 10/3. it looks like that was 45 minutes earlier than the day before, though, so he might have come up higher and been ok to shoot by 7am. do you see what i'm saying? it might've been better to either wait that 45 minutes and then shoot, or if you couldn't wait, to shoot 1 unit or 1.5 units so he wasn't 271 a few hours later. 271 isn't terrible though.

are his low numbers related to him not eating?

9. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

Good catch Julie. I should look at signatures ohmygod_smile FHL is Feline Hepatic Lipidosis.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.