Worried about weight loss

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Squalliesmom, Apr 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Squallie has been steadily losing weight for the past few months. It all started in December of last year, when his BG first started to become out of control. At first it was a few ounces here and there but he would always gain it back. In the past month he has lost over a pound, and is not gaining it back. It looks to me like he is losing muscle mass around his spine, as well, while having a bulgy tummy, and his fur is rough and almost greasy-looking, accompanied with dandruff. I am becoming very worried about him.

We have been through a nightmare of finding the right food for him. He did very well on FF Classic but I started to look for foods that had lower phosphorus, since he does have an enlarged kidney. We have tried all manner of other foods, mostly expensive ones that promise things they don't really deliver, as far as I can determine. I am feeling very disheartened. Could this weight loss be from changing foods? Could it be something else wrong with him, like cancer or kidney disease? Could it be his age? I don't know. He still plays happily, more now than he did when he was younger! He grooms and does all his normal cat things, and he purrs a lot, so I don't think he's in any pain. He eats fairly well, except at dinner-time (for some, only-a-cat-knows, reason).

I wonder about putting him back on FF since that's what he did the best on? Just how worried should I be about the phosphorus? I don't want him to keep losing weight, especially not at his age, as it's harder and harder for him to gain it back.

If his symptoms trigger an idea or association for anybody, please let me know what you think! I foresee a trip to the vet in his near future, but would still appreciate any input from the folks here; vets don't always get it right, no matter how good they are!

Thank you all in advance!

2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

I think a vet trip is the right way to go, Lucy.

Sometimes the so-called ideal food is not ideal for a particular kitty. If Squallie's doing better on FF then if I were in your shoes I'd be looking to ask the vet about the impact of higher phosphorus levels in the absence of kidney issues. I'd also get a full senior panel done - make sure B12/folate, kidney and thyroid tests are included (and liver might be a good thing to include, too).

I know how worried you are and how tricky things have been for you in recent months, and I really feel for you. You're a great critter mom, Lucy, and your little ones are beyond blessed to have you as their Person.

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Mogs

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Have you had complete bloodwork done lately? If there aren't any signs of kidney disease, there's no reason you have to watch the phosphorus

Just having one small kidney doesn't mean kidney disease...you can have only 1 kidney and still not have kidney disease.

If the bloodwork shows a problem, you can always use phosphorus binders and continue with the FF

4. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

I am sure you will get much wiser answers than mine--
    Squallie seems like he is feeling pretty good:cat:
    My first thought is if he has been checked for cushings disease?
    As far as the food--Rico gets whatever he will eat (usually ff or NV Pride or ID-AD) and he has been CKD for 6 years-he remains 11 ish pounds.
    Dre is low carb wet and he is 20 pounds-:confused:
    Although I do believe food can enhance or hinder I also think genetics play into the whole food thing-just my opinion.... :bighug:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  5. Squalliesmom

He had bloodwork done not quite six months ago, if I can get it scanned into the computer I'll post it. I know they covered liver and kidney, don't know what else was also checked, but that's when the vet found out he had a slight potassium deficiency and put him on a K supplement. He doesn't really have a smaller kidney, per se, both his kidneys are enlarged but one more so than the other.

@jayla-n-Drevon I did wonder about Cushings, myself. It would seem like he has a lot of the symptoms of it.

6. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

From what your describing it really does.....
    I don't know the current recommendations for treatment but I know some people do not treat it because it can help "mask/soften" other issues by releasing cortisone.
    As far as I know it is not painful---I never had a cat with cushings only a dog and the treatment was pretty harsh-(we refused it)
    If it was me I would get another blood panel done. Hopefully all is good and you will have peace of mind:bighug:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  7. Chris & China (GA)

If you have the bloodwork, you can enter the numbers onto your spreadsheet....there should be a tab along the bottom for "labs" (I know there's one on China's)

Squalliesmom likes this.
  8. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

If you need to go back to feeding FF you could also add a phosphorus binder to his food. I agree, you may need to visit the vet. Cats can hide their pain very well.

Barri & Sonny likes this.
  9. Squalliesmom

Here are the results of his last bloodwork:
    cat1.png cat2.png

10. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Maybe not totally go back to previous diet. What about one meal a day of the previous food, do you think it would help?

Squalliesmom likes this.
  11. Chris & China (GA)

His BUN and Creatinine are both normal as of that bloodwork.....I'd strongly consider having it repeated though since it's been close to 6 months

IDEXX has added a new test to their full blood panels called an SDMA that is the most state of the art test we have for early kidney failure

12. Squalliesmom

How do I get the date to enter on the top line? It just stays blank. Also, how do I highlight the high/low values in red or another color?

13. Squalliesmom

Thank you, Mogs, I really appreciate that!

Critter Mom likes this.
  14. Squalliesmom

I will ask my vet about it when Squallie goes, thanks for the heads-up!

15. Chris & China (GA)

I JUST did it and to tell you the truth, I don't remember how I did it!!

You enter the numbers and then if you want to change the color to (for example red for high and green for low) you click on the icon along the top that's directly to the left of the "tipping paint can" that has the capital A ...that changes the TEXT color

Squalliesmom likes this.
  16. Chris & China (GA)

Now I remember!! The "text" color is set at white for those "date" boxes.....you need to go in and change it to black so you can see what you're typing!!

Squalliesmom and jayla-n-Drevon like this.
  17. Squalliesmom

AH, okay, thanks! :):)

18. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Have you had Squallie's thyroid levels checked? I can't see a T4 report on the blood work. Hyperthyroidism can cause weight loss.

Critter Mom and Squalliesmom like this.
  19. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Has Squallie every had a ultrosound?

Squalliesmom likes this.
  20. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

Sending prayers and vines for Squallie. I understand where you are coming from with the bony areas. I don't have any answers or suggestions but I would take him to the vet and do bloodwork. Please keep us posted. Hugs.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  21. Squalliesmom

I guess he must not have had it checked. I will ask his vet, thanks!

22. Squalliesmom

No, he's had x-rays, but not an ultrasound.

23. Squalliesmom

Thank you! :bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.