Worried and scared

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Juliet, Dec 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Silver has lost so much weight and the more I feed him he’s still not gaining. I increased his dose to 1u bid last week and his numbers came down a bit bit still in the 300’s. Tonight I tested him and he just vomited up the treat he got after test. His coat is also losing its good condition. What else can I do?

I planned to do a curve today but I gave him a fur shot this morning so will do it tomorrow. His numbers aren’t horrible - I’ve seen worse. Should I be increasing dose again?

I don’t understand how he was getting blues and yellows sometimes a green on 0.25 but now at 1u I’m mostly seeing pink and occasionally yellow.

Can someone help? I am so scared I’m making him sicker by wrong dosing.

He’s not himself tonight.

2. Mum of two felines

Mum of two felines Member

What insulin is he on and how old is it? Silver is adorable by the way!

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I assume you're using Lantus because your signature text says you're following SLGS. It's possible that the time away where you lowered the dose and allowed his BG to run higher has resulted in the development of some glucose toxicity. If so, careful increases on 0.25 u at a time according to the SLGS guidelines should get you to a dose where he shows a decent response. I suggest you post on the Lantus forum where there are a lot of experienced members to help.

Juliet likes this.
  4. Juliet

Juliet Guest

He’s 11 and on Lantus

5. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Thanks. My posts disappear on the Lantus forum as there’s so many posting.

6. Mum of two felines

Keep bumping your post. You may want to put ??? In the prefix to get help.

Juliet likes this.
  7. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

That's why we recommend posting a daily thread on that forum even if things are going well. It guarantees that it'll be seen by someone each day. If you have an urgent concern, add the blue question mark icon to the front of your thread title (see menu at the left end of the thread title bar).

Juliet likes this.
  8. Juliet

Juliet Guest

I posted there too.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  9. Mum of two felines

I have no experience with Lantus. I am sorry I can't offer anything.

10. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Just looking at the spreadsheet. Recent numbers show that Silver is not regulated. Effectively you are not getting enough insulin to drive down the blood glucose into the 80-150 range during nadirs. As a result, Silver's body is not soaking up enough calories.

One thing you can do is to ensure that Silver gets overfed. Weight is a concern in unregulated cats.

Juliet likes this.
  11. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Ok I’ll feed more. I was concerned that his numbers were bad now when they had been better on a lower dose.

12. Waheeda

Waheeda Well-Known Member

My cat was also losing weight before he had good numbers. I gave him food whenever he asked for it and I opened really many cans in a day that I got scared.
    He wasn’t himself either, just hide and very quiet. But when he had good numbers, he was back to his old self.
    So don’t worry about feeding him more.

13. Juliet

Juliet Guest

I’m more worried I don’t know how to get him in good numbers :-(

14. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

I can see from the past that Silver was regulated, but currently is not. Also the current dose does not appear to be dropping Silver's BG much during nadir. You can carefully increase the dose just a bit (ie 0.25), and measure over a period of days.

For the weight thing, it doesn't hurt for your sugar kitteh to have a little fat. It helps get them thru trouble times. Actually we intentionally keep all 3 of our cats slightly overweight. If they ever require extended vet visits, the fat helps.

15. Juliet

Juliet Guest

When was he regulated? I had one low day in blues but mostly it’s pinks. It’s been so frustrating since he came out of remission.

Should I increase now after today’s curve or wait until the 7 days since last increase?

16. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Oh sorry, I was looking further back. Now I see you have 3 compressed years in the spreadsheet.

Generally you can do a dose increase after 7 doses. I would also ensure there are 2 hour gaps after each time Silver eats, for a BG test.

17. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Yes he was OTJ for three years. Came off after a round of antibiotics and steroids.

Silver doesn’t get free fed as I have a second cat who is overweight. They get fed at shot time twice a day and Silver will get a little extra at bedtime as he’s lost so much weight.

18. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

For low-dose cats like Silver, it doesn't take much of a dose change to affect the curve. I bet you are close, and a little dose increase could get Silver back into a regulated state.

Juliet likes this.
  19. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Oh I hope so. Thanks for the encouragement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.