Worried & Frustrated Re: Difficult Cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Louellen, Apr 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Louellen

Louellen Member

I'm SO grateful to have this forum to turn to as our vet is not exactly the best at giving us information on Feline Diabetes and it's turning me into a nervous wreck with a VERY difficult cat to deal with.

Morrigan has held her weight at 14.4 lbs (she's a mix of long furred breeds, born feral). She was originally 15.8 lbs in December of 2014. Held her weight thus far at 14.4 lbs.
    We've had her in for 2 curves at the vets as we insisted that we change diet FIRST...then, go to insulin and titrate it to the proper levels for the diet change (after reading things here about diet changes and insulin).

I am Canadian so my measurements are in Canadian measurements mmol/???

Her first reading was 21/23 (can't remember) BEFORE the diet change.
    First curve numbers were 17, 15, 13, 17 WITHOUT insulin...only the diet change.
    Yesterday, after a very nerve wracking ride to the vet's office,
    19, 17, then, I took the last one at the vet's with the glucometer we will be using at home as practise. That was at 15.

So, today was her first shot of Lantus. The vet originally wanted to go with 2 units BUT...Nervous Nelly here...was concerned as she is not always "an eater" at meals in spite of taking up her food for 6 or more hours. She is a "grazer" and has been a "free feeder" on kibble for nearly 10 years. (She'll be 10 in May).
    The vet conceded to the idea this morning when he called that perhaps, starting off with 1 unit would be best for our peace of mind (and, I'm sure...HIS too as I am a real worrier).

I gave her the first injection after getting her to nibble on some wet Fancy Feast (we're still working on the conversion to totally wet foods...a work in progress over 2 weeks). She only ate maybe, about 1/4 can but, went back to nibble on m/d kibble (yeah, I know...NOT ideal...but, I can't do more than give her the food and am still trying with different flavours/textures i.e.: pate, flaked etc from the list of foods below 10% and every brand available up here in Canada, recommended....doing my VERY best with her).

I have yet to try the home glucometer as doing so, would have turned her completely off of eating and had her hiding for hours and I wouldn't have gotten the shot into her. (I'm using the Lantus Solostar Pen...something the pharmacist recommended as "more accurate" using the actual pen itself as the injector). Ok, got the shot in by giving her 3 Luv's treats (I know...I know...NOT ultimate but, she won't eat the freeze dried stuff at all and turned her nose up at even tuna flakes in water but, going to try that tonight...at least I got the shot into her).

I'm going to try taking a reading later on but, I cannot have her turning away from me and hiding for hours, not eating etc. when it comes time for the next injection so....what to do???? She holds a grudge BIG TIME!

Question: Reading all of the above (so sorry!!!) and giving only 1 unit....can you offer any suggestions and help? I'm really a nervous wreck and at this rate...I am going to end up being hospitalized for either a break down or something else. (I really need to calm down).
    Am I doing badly at this?

Thank you all for putting up with such a lengthy cry for help...make that BEG for help.

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

See my signature link Secondary Monitoring Tools for some assessments you can make, while you work on the home glucose testing. They'll help you monitor her condition.

Louellen likes this.
  3. Patricia & Noodle

Patricia & Noodle Well-Known Member

Have you tried the Orijen freeze dried treats? I find the texture more similar to a "regular" treat than other freeze dried treats.

Give yourself a big hug. You're doing GREAT by even bothering to learn any of this. You're an excellent mom to Morrigan and are doing the best you can in what is a very difficult transition for every one of us who have been there. A few links you may find useful (sorry if this is redundant!):
    Transitioning Dry Food Addicts to Canned Food
    Where Can I Find....? (an incredibly useful post featuring a collection of lots of important information on the board)
    Testing & Shooting Tips
    More Hometesting Links & Tips

And this, which did so much to help me when I first found myself here:bighug:
    A Letter from Your Kitty to You

4. Blamethecats and Hannah

Blamethecats and Hannah Member

NO, you absolutely are NOT doing badly at this! You're acting quite normal for a newbie, believe it or not. I know this all seems so overwhelming at first. So many things that you mentioned sound like my own experiences when Hannah was diagnosed. You have a lot to learn, but you'll get there. It really does get better. It doesn't seem like it right now, but it will. First and foremost, you've come to the right place for encouragement and answers. Just start reading what others post and you will get quite an education. If you have questions, ask away. Someone will be along to help.

When Hannah and I began this journey in May of 2014, it scared me almost to death. I thought I was going to lose my sanity but knew I had to hang on for my furbaby. My blood pressure went up and I lost a lot of weight I couldn't afford to lose. I lost my appetite and I couldn't sleep at night. I was afraid to do BG testing on my sweet girl, and I absolutely couldn't do the injections without almost passing out. In short, this bean was a major mess! Little by little, with the help of the good folks here, I got "educated" about feline diabetes and started to regain my composure. I'm not 100% there, yet, but I'm much, much better.

Initially, Hannah didn't handle all the home testing and the injections well, either. She was a very sick kitty and spent most of her life hiding under our bed or in the fireplace wood box. Now, almost a year later, the testing and injections seem quite common place and she handles the routine like it's no big deal. Offering her favorite treats as a reward has helped with that. Since Morrigan doesn't like the freeze-dried kind, perhaps others here can offer advice on an alternative she might enjoy. And don't forget to pet her and praise her and scratch her under the chin for putting up with "the ordeal" ... Hannah loves that and immediately starts to purr. It makes me feel better, too.

Together, we have learned how to deal with this disease, all because of information, advice, and support we have gathered here. Hannah (a former kibble junkie) still has eating issues, but we continue to work on them, insisting that wet food is better for her and her dry kibble is history. And she's still a long way from remission or even regulation, but she feels so much better than she did almost a year ago. Me, too. I won't kid you... I still have days that I get flustered and discouraged, but things are sooooooo much better than they were when we first started on this journey. That will happen for you and Morrigan, too. Hugs and best wishes.

Tiger-Hobo, Louellen, bsmith and 2 others like this.
  5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

China doesn't like any of the freeze dried treats either...what worked for her was for me to just buy chicken at the store, bake or boil one piece, chop it up and put some in the refrigerator and the rest in the freezer to use as needed.

Here's a link to other Low Carb Treats....hopefully you'll find something that she really loves!

Tiger-Hobo and Louellen like this.
  6. Louellen

Louellen Member

I want you ALL to know that I am sitting here, crying like a baby right now, SO grateful for all of your help, encouragement, consolation, pats on the back and most of all, HOPE! More than anything for understanding what I am going through because you have all been there and for some, continue to try to improve both kitty and techniques. I can really feel the love coming from ALL of you and I cannot thank you enough (now, if I could only see the screen for the tears LOL...a MUCH needed "release" right now).

Are you sure all of you aren't "Earth Angels"? it sure as heck feels like it right now. I've always said that pet lovers are the best people on this planet and it's proving me right. :)

Letter from Kitty...oh my goodness. I'm afraid I will need a new computer if I read that right this moment. I'm going to save that for later when I can compose myself better.

I look into her little face and I talk to her, wondering if she understands me somehow, hoping that she'll forgive me and continue to love me for what I'm doing to her, knowing how much I love her. I wish that they could understand that it likely hurts us more than it does them. Hours later after pricking her for blood or jabbing her with a needle, I'm still a mess and she's off sleeping or grooming herself or nibbling on her dinner. I can't even get mine into me. I think BlameTheCats and Hannah knows what I mean as my blood pressure and appetite are both way out of whack as is my sleeping. Wow...and people say, "she's just a cat"???? Not to all of us, it seems.

Thank you all, I have some more reading to do from all of the links that you have all so graciously and lovingly provided for me to go through. I appreciate it more than you'll all ever know. And, besides sending my vet on yet another vacation...I'm going to need to work a third job to pay for a new computer as I've soaked this one with tears of gratitude to you all! :)

7. Blamethecats and Hannah

Awwwwww, it's okay to cry, so go right ahead. You're the proud and loving bean of a sugar kitty and that earns you the right! As a matter of fact, I just had of spell of tears about a week ago when Hannah's numbers were worse than usual. Sat down with my cup of morning coffee, cried my eyes out, then picked up where I left off and got on with the day. Worked for me.

And isn't it wonderful how cats manage to do this?! I agree... I think they often handle it better than we do... and thank Goodness!!! And YES, she will definitely continue to love you. It amazes me how they manage to do that, but they do. I think they know we're trying to help.

Could we get you to set up a spreadsheet for Morrigan? It will help you (and the rest of us) to know how well she is responding to her insulin and whether or not changes in dosing are required. It assists in figuring out how low a particular dose takes her and how long it takes to start wearing off. Lots of folks here (unfortunately, I'm not one of them) are experts on interpreting spreadsheet info and can help you figure out if a particular dose is too much or too little for Morrigan. To keep things simple, most of us use the same spreadsheet template. Instructions for setting up a spreadsheet are HERE. If you can do that, it would be a really big help. It would also be helpful if you could set up a Signature that is automatically included at the end of every post you make. For that purpose, BJM has provided good instructions, HERE.

Again, don't be afraid to ask questions if you need help... or even if you just need a little hand-holding from time to time. Post away! Someone will be along to answer your questions and offer advice. Sometimes it takes a little while for a response, but there will ALWAYS be one. You can count on it.

8. bsmith

bsmith Member

I had not seen this before. Thanks for linking it @Patricia & Noodle. @Louellen you can probably go ahead and read it now. It's definitely good for a few chuckles. In the meantime, hang in there. It does get easier with time and practice.

I definitely second @Blamethecats and Hannah on getting a spreadsheet set up. It really helps other people on the board to help you with issues or questions that may come up.

Louellen likes this.
  9. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Don't worry about her not understanding you. She knows you love her and are trying to make her feel better. Many of us find that the bond with our sugar kitty becomes stronger. I am sure that Morrigan's bond with you will grow too.

Our cats are not "just a cat". They are our 4 leg children. :cat:

Voula, bsmith, Louellen and 1 other person like this.
  10. Louellen

Louellen Member

I finally got up the nerve and just read "Letter From Kitty" (not sure how to link yet in here but, I'll learn that too).
    To the author and Patricia and Noodle...for pointing me to this....I have forever gratitude. I laughed, cried and laughed again! And, all of this was at WORK! I feel like hiding under my desk (like Morrigan hides under the end table in the living room when it's her "poke time") hoping my boss won't see me and fire me for personal stuff or being a total NUTCASE! I really do think people think I'm going insane. Maybe, I am...well, temporarily... ;)

I will try to get that spreadsheet up, BlameTheCats and Hannah. And, I've just seen the "like" button so, I need to hit those "likes" now. :) I do have to tell you though that in spite of trying...I've yet to get a home reading. I only have numbers from the vet's. Getting a sample at home is like chasing a cat down under things, trying not to upset her so that I can use shaking hands to try to hit that "sweet spot" on the ear. I will try again today...when she comes out of hiding or stops running the moment she sees either one of us (hubby or I) coming into HER territory. But, I will work on both of those things now (spreadsheet and signature). :)
    I AM so sorry that Hannah's numbers were still up. I have no real clue where Morrigan's are right now as we JUST started the Lantus yesterday and I couldn't get a reading from her yet. When she comes out of hiding from her spot (I'm home right now) later on today, I will try again. I guess she and I and hubby all have to get used to this.
    I think besides technical support, I need the emotional support. I'm falling apart and I can see that Morrigan is not at all trusting of us in any way as she once was. The only time she distrusted us was in seeing the carrier come out to go to the vet's. Now...we just have to walk past her and she runs so, I'm trying hard, knowing that at 1 unit, she's likely not going into hypo state, to just let her be more than trying to poke and prod and upset her 17 times a day right now. Some cats may take easily to this...but, I've got to go with my gut with Morrigan's temperament and weigh out when to try and when to not try and just leave her be or go to try to give her some loving so that she doesn't feel that everything to do with us is about getting stuck with a needle. She was a feral cat and her temperament has never changed. I have to remember this about her personality as well and work with it or, I'm working against it...and HER. I also have to accept the idea that while I'm trying my heart out to be "ideal" in technical terms, it may not be possible for me to do that with her...now...or maybe not fully ever???? I am trying so hard but, I think I need to slow it down, recognize that I can't be "perfect" because she isn't being "the perfect patient" at this moment and hope that we all settle down and into this better. (Hoping that i get more than 3 hours sleep and actually eat something more than soup) :)

By the way...I LOVE the term "Sugar Cat". Hubby is diabetic too (not on insulin or meds for it...just diet and exercise) so, I just called him my "Sugar Honey Hubby" and he laughed.

Well, I think I will try to actually eat something now and recognize that I have to take the time to learn. One day isn't going to do it. I have to go easy on myself and 3 a.m. to get to sleep while watching her every eye blink, chasing her under tables and around the house, just isn't working for either of us (as the letter has so wisely said) :)
    I will work on that spreadsheet with what numbers I have from the vet, learn more about these forums and how they work and will catch up with time. :)

11. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

I think it's very, very important that you still keep some regular time with Morrigan where she just gets the love and cuddles that she's used to. They really do adjust to the testing - Rosa went through a stage where she'd hide and then growl when I found her and went to get her, though at that point I couldn't really back off on the testing because she was already on her way down the dosing scale. But she came around fairly quickly. I just made sure that at least half the times I went looking for her I didn't do anything other than love her and tell her how good she was. Try and test when you get the chance, but not so much that she thinks that's all you're going to do every time you go near her. And monitor her secondary signs when you can't test so you're aware of her normal behavior - that way if she goes low you'll spot the subtle signs that she's not feeling 100%. When I look at Rosa now, scrambling at top speed to get on my chair before me so she can get cuddles, even though this chair is where I also do all her testing, I know that cats, even difficult ones, do come around to this whole routine - it just takes some longer than others, and you have to give her and you time to find a routine that works for both of you. :) And above all, try to relax around her - if you're tense because you're planning on trying to test her, she'll pick up on that. The calmer you can be (I know how difficult that is, I really do) the calmer she will be. You can try singing to her as well - that can calm some cats because they can hear your voice. :) You will get there just as the rest of us have - and so many of us thought we'd never be able to test or inject our cats - but it is going to take longer than a day or even a few days, so please be understanding with yourself as well as with Morrigan. :bighug:

12. Chris & China (GA)

We all just do the best we can! You'll do fine too!!

Couple of other things for you to try to cram into your already overloaded brain...LOL

Regarding testing...What you can try to do is decide on one spot in your home that's going to be your "testing spot". (I liked the kitchen counter because it was a good height and already blocked two escape routes due to the wall and the backsplash) You can use anyplace though....even a rug on the floor as long as it's consistent

As many times a day as you can (and I understand right now she runs from you but you can only do your best!) take her there, give her ears a quick rub and immediately give her a treat she likes (hopefully you'll find one she really loves!!)

The more you can do that, the more she's going to associate that "spot" with the treats and she'll gradually learn to not care what you're doing with her ears.

For really hard to deal with cats, you can use things like Burrito Wrapping. Here's a quick video on how to do that

There's also the Cat in a Bag

Last for now is that I noticed you're using the syringe with the needles that come with it. We don't recommend that because when we do our dose adjustments, we do them in .25 unit increments and the needles that come with the pen only work in whole unit doses. You can just buy regular insulin syringes (WalMart's Relion brand are cheapest and they have half unit markings on them) You'll need U100 3/10ml insulin syringes with either 30 or 31 gauge needles

Your just pull the cap off the pen and use the little vial inside like the little vial it is! There's a rubber stopper just like a 10ml vial would have.
    syringe in pen pic.jpg

Keep asking questions!! You've already made a huge step in caring for your "extra sweet" Morrigan by coming here and we'll do all we can to help you!!

13. bsmith

bsmith Member

You're already doing a great job by coming here and educating yourself about Morrigan's condition and what you will need to do to manage her diabetes. Even if you haven't been able to hometest yet, you're at least willing to learn about how to do it. With some cats it takes a bit to get them adjusted to such things, but hopefully you'll find a method that works for both of you.

Hometesting is an important tool that allows you to have a fuller picture of how your cat reacts to insulin and other changes. It will also help to keep her safe. Your willingness to learn and to try hometesting, even if it's difficult at first, is a wonderful thing. Also, at least you're able to give her injections already. That's definitely a step in the right direction.

@manxcat419 has some wise words about testing. Regular cuddling time is so important. My cat Edwin got to where he would run every time I came near him so I started making sure to stop and cuddle him at random times. I wanted to reassure him that every time I came near him that I was not wanting to "do" something to him.

@Chris & China's suggestions of a schedule and a standard testing spot helped greatly with Edwin too. The holds she's linked can be very helpful for some cats. Edwin's a bit of an oddball though in that the more he's restrained, the harder he fights. I actually find that the minimum amount of restraint is what works best for him. You'll just have to try a few different types of restraint on Morrigan until you find what works best for her.

Here are my thoughts on some things that will get you moving in the direction of being able to hometest. Maybe some of them might work for the two of you. Hopefully you'll be able to ease into testing.

1. Start by just playing with and cuddling your cat. Especially play with her ears so she gets used to you handling them. Play with her in the spot where you plan to do the testing so she gets comfortable being there. Some people test on a counter, but I chose to test on the floor. There was a spot on a rug where Edwin already liked to sit. He also really likes when I get on the floor with him. Testing then became let me play with you on the rug, then poke you a bit, and then more cuddling. A good time for all. Find a spot that works for both of you. Maybe some good treats in the designated testing spot will also help.
    2. Get some practice testing by testing on yourself. At least you know why you're poking yourself ;) . See if using the lancet device or just the lancet alone works best for you. I always just hand held the lancet as I was pretty sure Edwin wouldn't go for the clicking noise of the lancet device. Sometimes the capillary action in the test strips is not enough to draw the blood in and you'll need some gravity action too. This should help you get comfortable with using the lancet, the strips, and your meter without having to involve your cat yet.
    3. About the test strips and the meter, I find it easier if you put the test strip into the meter just far enough to hold the strip, but not far enough in to turn the meter on. Do this before using the lancet so, once you do get blood, you don't have to fumble around to get the test strip into the meter. If you put the test strip all the way into the meter, thus turning on the meter, before finding blood you end up playing beat the clock to get blood before the meter times out. The pressure, the pressure! With the test strip just held in the meter, just push it the rest of the way in to start the meter once you have blood.
    4. Warming your cat's ears makes testing easier. Raw rice in a sock or one of those microwaveable sinus packs with beads in them (I used this as I already had one) work well. Maybe try getting Morrigan used to you warming her ears, before you try starting testing, will help her get used to this.
    5. If you've got to the point where you're ready to test on Morrigan, Neosporin (the petroleum jelly based kind) or Vaseline will help her blood to bead better and makes it easier for you to get a sample. Take a look at the back of her ear too as sometimes a good bead of blood is back there instead of on the front. Sometimes two pokes close together or massaging the ear to get the blood flowing can help also. Eventually her ears will "learn" to bleed better and testing will get easier. The practice helps too :) . As far as worrying that poking her ear is really hurting her, keep in mind that I've been able to test Edwin while he's sleeping without waking him up (though he's an old man who sometimes sleeps really hard and I'm really sneaky).
    Hopefully some of these things will help ease Morrigan, and you, into being able to hometest. Also, remember to breathe. It will get easier and better.

In the meantime, monitoring Morrigan's clinical signs will be very helpful. If she's acting oddly there are a few things you can check. For hypos it's like a drunk test. If she's sleeping you'll have to wake her up. Check if she's alert, if she can walk normally in a straight line, and if her pupils are overly dialated. For high blood sugar, see if she's drinking and urinating a lot. Also, check to make sure that her breath does not smell fruity or like nail polish remover, which can indicate keytones. @BJM's Secondary Monitoring Tools, which he mentioned previously in this thread, are very helpful.

And then breath some more. :bighug:

14. SuePea

SuePea Member

The ear is so tricky, I tried it once and gave up. I use the "palm" of Charlie's paw and it works just fine. It's a lot easier to control and I get a sample just fine. I do have to use a larger lancet though.

Mogmom and Goofus and Louellen like this.
  15. Louellen

Louellen Member

I might try the paw once...but, she is VERY finicky about touching her feet. Even nail clipping is a nightmare!
    Thank you Sue Pea!

16. Louellen

Louellen Member

Thank you so much Bsmith! I'm trying to breathe. :) I'm taking everything you've said here into action plan! :)

17. Louellen

Louellen Member

Thank you so very, very much Chris & China! That was a lot that you've provided and so very much appreciated! :)

18. manxcat419

Yep, Rosa's another one like that - I absolutely cannot restrain her without her getting terribly distressed and fighting me, but the more she's learned that I'm going to test her whether she likes it or not, the more she's learned that sitting still while I get it done will make it quicker and easier on us both. Even when she went through her little phase of really objecting to being tested about 3 or 4 weeks ago, I didn't and couldn't restrain her - she'd let me test, but she grouched about it the whole time and would get a little nip or scratch in if she could.

19. Louellen

Louellen Member

LOL Manxcat....I love bandaids and polysporin...for ME! I need 'em and am looking to buy in bulk!

20. Blamethecats and Hannah

LOL, indeed!! Hannah's GA civie, Daisy, had major cattitude. I can't even count the times I was bitten or scratched. No restraining her, either. Glad she wasn't a sugar kitty. There would have been NO WAY we could have tested or given insulin. When she went to the vet for blood work (she was hyperthyroid), they always had to sedate her. Never heard a cat yowl and growl like she did... even under sedation. No towels for her, either. Heck, she even got grumpy when she watched me fold laundry. Still, she was one of the most amazing animals I have ever known. I cannot explain it. She definitely had her good side, too.

Louellen likes this.
  21. manxcat419

Maybe we could put in a joint order to get a discount! ;)

Louellen and bsmith like this.
  22. bsmith

bsmith Member

Ohhh, you make me laugh. :) Moving towels, even dish (tea) towels, make Edwin freak out. Stationary towels are to be closely watched too. They could jump out and grab you at any time.

23. manxcat419

Of course they could - you can't trust towels you know. Regan would completely agree with Edwin about those. And many other things too - so many of our normal household items are apparently very untrustworthy and dangerous to cats!! ;)

24. bsmith

bsmith Member

You mean like the broom and the mop? Those terrify Edwin, though the vacuum cleaner seems to be better. You need to watch it closely, but at least you don't have to run from it. The kitty I grew up with actually loved the vacuum cleaner and would come running so you could vacuum her.

I attribute this deviant behavior to my kitty living with grandmother for a few months (to see if it would help my allergies). My grandmother would vacuum the cat everyday. Though never with the TV on at the same time. You do know that vacuuming next to a TV that's on will electrocute you, right? That's what my grandmother always claimed. ;) Strangeness abounded in that house.

By the way, if you and @Louellen need bulk medical supplies I could probably point you in the right direction. Luckily for me I inherited, from the same grandmother as above, her complete collection of bandaging supplies including all sort of different types of tapes and gauze (I know you're jealous). When trying to give Edwin the hated tramadol this has really come in handy. Plus, sometimes my skin just falls off on its own, you know, like happens to normal people.

25. manxcat419

Oh definitely those - and Regan's really not sure about the vacuum either. I think she's decided it's safer to hide from that just in case! ;) We keep threatening to vacuum the cats to help Michael's allergies but none of them really seem too keen on the idea!! We should probably be extremely careful when vacuuming though - the number of computers, games consoles and TVs in the house it's a miracle we're still alive! ;) My grandmother had some strange ideas like that too - I think because she'd grown up without a TV she didn't really understand how it worked. :rolleyes:

I am very jealous of the medical supplies - I've had to buy so many bandaids recently that I've taken to buying the novelty ones with Hello Kitty or the Smurfs on them just for some variety! Michael came back from New York with a whole box of medical supplies from finishing off cleaning out his late mother's house ready for it to be sold but they really didn't last very long. And yes, the only allergies I have are skin ones so I'm all too familiar with having skin fall off for no apparent reason.

Louellen likes this.
  26. bsmith

bsmith Member

You could always try soaking your cats in water for 20 minutes as that is proven to reduce dander levels. Though, given your cats' attitudes, that may be a "bloodbath" after only a few minutes (now that was a terrible pun). There are also products like allerpet that reduce dander, but you have to saturate your cat with them. That probably won't work really well for you either.

About the novelty bandaids, watch out for the glow in the dark ones. Years ago I had some of those. I woke up in the middle of the night and, half asleep, proceeded to freak out because there was something glowing on my hand and I couldn't get it off no matter how hard I shook my hand. Another special moment. I just stick with Scooby-Doo now, much safer.

Louellen and manxcat419 like this.
  27. manxcat419

Yeah, I think I'll have the ambulance on standby before I try that one!! ;) Fortunately Michael does pretty well with zyrtec once a day so I'm not sure we have to resort to dangerous tactics just yet. :)

Oh, I haven't seen the glow in the dark bandaids - that's probably just as well though. Being as sleep deprived as I was while Rosa was coming down the dosing scale, I have no doubt I'd have had a few freak out moments if I'd tried using those then!!

28. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

I have one suggestion that will help you.
    Either find a bunch of shoe boxes or cut and tape boxes of your own to fill most of the space under your bed. You want it to be the right height.
    Just leave about a foot or so on each side so Morrigan can still think she's hiding but you are able to grab her if you really need to.
    That might come in handy on a day where you are worried about low numbers.....

29. SuePea

SuePea Member

Or get some of those under-bed storage boxes. We got one of those just because we needed it, but it sure did reduce Charlie's ability to hide.

Louellen likes this.
  30. Blamethecats and Hannah

This comment makes me chuckle and brings back additional memories of Hannah's GA civie, Daisy. She LOVED to be vacuumed and came to check it out whenever she heard the cleaner turn on. I smile each and every time I watch this video. It's a little long and repetitious, but I'm so glad I have it to share. Daisy crossed over Rainbow Bridge on July 16, 2014. :rb_icon: Oh, and we DID vac next to the TV when it was turned on and as far as I can remember, we weren't electrocuted and didn't get abducted by aliens. :D

bsmith and manxcat419 like this.
  31. Chris & China (GA)

@Blamethecats and Hannah ...that video is awesome!!!

I'd give just about anything to be able to vacuum my cats, especially this time of year with winter coats shedding!

32. Lori & Lulu

Lori & Lulu Well-Known Member

Hear, hear! I even have an 'animal vacuuming' attachment thingy for my Dyson, but my crew would disappear and not come out of hiding for days if I tried to use it on them.

33. Blamethecats and Hannah

LOL... I had one for my vac, too. But, wouldn't ya know... Daisy preferred the common and ordinary dusting brush, so the pet attachment went to the local animal shelter's annual yard sale. :cat:

Louellen likes this.
  34. bsmith

bsmith Member

I thought you were already using the correct attachment in that video. That's the upholstery/cat attachment, right? I had no idea that they have an actual "animal vacuuming" attachment for pets now. Will wonders never cease.

I'm glad to hear you weren't electrocuted or abducted by aliens when vacuuming by a turned on TV. I'd suggest a tinfoil hat, but that might just make things more dangerous. I had a friend who as a kid made an "electron collector" out of tinfoil to collect the static electricity off of the TV screen. He managed to shock himself pretty good. In order to build up that much of charge you'd need one of those older tube type TV's and a lot of patience. Those new LCD/LED TV's just don't produce nearly enough static. On second thought, if you have a newer TV go ahead and put that tinfoil hat on. Wear it with pride.

35. manxcat419

Oh that made me laugh - thank you for the mental image of all of us vacuuming with tinfoil hats on...LOL!! :D :D

36. SuePea

SuePea Member

oh, no... the Laser Lady lives....

Louellen likes this.
  37. bsmith

bsmith Member

Laser Lady? I'm not familiar. Googling "Laser Lady" shows a comic with a superhero who is often made to remove her clothes, laser engraving, or laser hair removal. I don't think I've found the correct reference. Sooooo confused.

Louellen likes this.
  38. Blamethecats and Hannah

I love how these posts can sometimes turn around and get silly every now and then. We all need to laugh, especially since dealing with feline diabetes sometimes can take that away from our daily lives.

This brings back another memory. (OMG, I'm turning into my mother and living in the past, something I always said I would never do!) The last time I put on a tinfoil hat was when I was about six. Made myself a tinfoil crown, complete with "authentic" paper jewels. Thought it would turn me into a princess. It didn't!

bsmith, Louellen and manxcat419 like this.
  39. SuePea

SuePea Member

The Laser Lady was an actual person; she passed away several years ago, but she was a paranoid schizophrenic who would call police stations and tell them that the aliens were shooting lasers into her head and we needed to turn up the shields. She was mentioned in Joseph Wambaugh's "The Choirboys".

bsmith and manxcat419 like this.
  40. Louellen

Louellen Member

OMG...I am laughing so hard at the idea that she would get upset at even watching you fold the laundry! Morrigan isn't quite that bad but...close! ;)

41. Louellen

Louellen Member

Wait...you mean that putting tin foil on your head while vacuuming isn't normal? I never vacuum without it.
    And, I wear "Glow In the Dark" bandages just to find myself at night. (The ones on my feet kind of freak me out a bit though. I keep thinking something is in bed with me...besides hubby. I'm plastering a few of them on him too now. )

42. Louellen

Louellen Member

My dog, Cassidy (a Havanese) is in the groomers being fully shaved down today. I think Morrigan will think we've brought in another dog and freak out even more. I think I can just hear her saying..."no...not another one of those things. I was just tolerating the other one!"

And yes...I needed to laugh so badly. Like was said, taking care of Sugar Kitties can and does become all consuming. My life and I feel totally upside down right now so, laughing really DOES help quite a bit. :)

43. bsmith

bsmith Member

I agree wholeheartedly with the need for some silliness to help take a break from the pain and the worry. It's definitely a needed outlet.

By the way, the reason that tinfoil crown didn't turn you into a princess is because you forgot to make a magic wand too. Try it again with the wand. If it doesn't make you into a princess at least it will keep you from turning into your mother. I also find it disturbing when I hear my mother's words come out of my mouth. You're not alone there.

Ahh, now it makes sense, sort of, I guess. Well the reference makes sense, but the whole needing to turn up the shields is pretty odd. I'll have to look that book up.

Louellen, you sure do like living on the edge. A tinfoil hat while vacuuming AND glow in the dark bandaids? You indeed live a dangerous life. ;) Good thinking on plastering glow in the dark bandaids on your hubby too. That way you can tell he's a "friendly" rather than an "enemy" in the dark. He may be confused about why you're putting glow in the dark bandaids on him, but just assure him that it's for his own safety.

44. Blamethecats and Hannah

Hmmmmm, never thought about a magic wand! How could I have forgotten that?! First thing tomorrow morning, I'm heading to A.C. Moore to get a dowel stick, cardboard, silver paint, and lots and lots of glitter/magic dust. Must have an overabundance of magic dust, you know. I've heard it's very important. And if the wand project doesn't turn me into a princess, I am very sure it WILL keep me from turning in to Mom! There's absolutely no way she would ever have put on a tinfoil crown and tiptoed around the house with a wand in her hand. :D (However, I do remember her standing on the front porch of our house in her underwear in the middle of winter, trying to cool down from a hot flash. Oh, gosh... looks like the little apple hasn't fallen so far from the tree, after all.) :arghh:

bsmith and Louellen like this.
  45. SuePea

SuePea Member

He describes her quite well. I had to speak to her at least once, working as a dispatcher for LAPD back in the 1990's. I once actually saw her at a Police Commission meeting and was floored to see a neatly dressed elderly lady. W

46. Blamethecats and Hannah

Okay, setting the fun aside for a bit and getting back to the subject topic of this post. @Louellen, how's it going? Good job at setting up that spreadsheet. I notice that Morrigan is still being fussy about eating canned/wet food. Don't feel alone with that issue, as there are many of us here who have that same problem with our sugar kitties. Transitioning from kibble to wet can sometimes be tricky. Hannah is still really picky when it comes to eating her FF classics and would go back to her dry kibble in a minute, if offered. It's been a real challenge for us, but I'm trying to hold my ground. Just be patient and see what develops. Lots of kitties do finally adjust to wet food over time. Hopefully, Morrigan will be one of them.

I also noticed your comment that Morrigan has taken to hiding and not wanting to be around you. Sorry to hear that. I know how sad and frustrated that probably makes you feel. But there's a very good chance she will get over that, given a little time. Hannah did a lot of that early on, too, but she's now pretty much gotten over it. It took a while, but she finally decided she wanted to be a part of her family once again.:cat:

So keep doing the great job that you're doing. This whole thing takes a lot of patience. I think that's the hardest part of it all. If you can manage to put on those "patience pants" that everyone talks about here, that's so important. Best wishes and we'll be checking in to see how you and Morrigan are doing.

47. Louellen

Louellen Member

Thanks Blamethecats....But, don't stop the joking around, please! I love it! For the first time in a few weeks, I was actually sitting here, feeling much lighter and laughing as I was reading along.
    I'm usually popping Advil, confused and ready to go hit someone. ;) Now, I've got out my 100' roll of aluminum foil and was about to make myself a crown and wand! I've been feeling more like a "cat butler" so, I figured a crown and a magic wand might make me feel a bit like a princess for a change. Well...at least until the guys with the white coats come to get me. ;)
    Honestly, humour has been the ONE thing that has gotten me through a lot in my life so, I love it! :)

Yes...Morrigan has been more than a handful. She has been hiding and refusing to eat more than 1/8th of a can of food (the 5.5 oz) at a time. But, I got into BIG trouble with her when I refused to put out the dry kibble for 2 days! She stopped eating, stopped urinating and the vet was furious at me. He simply said...."give her the m/d kibble, leave it out as you usually did and offer her the canned foods as often as you need to get her to eat". I did and she finally returned to normal. Phew....that scared the living daylights out of me. Even then, she really doesn't like the m/d kibble and I so wish that Canada would supply us with more low carb foods than the prescription formulas. I know it's impossible really to get a low carb kibble but, we really are in a mess here in Canada.

And, yes...Morrigan has hidden from us and run and stayed in the basement (fully finished family room) and won't come upstairs unless we are in bed (she knows there is no more poking past that point) and the dog is downstairs in his crated area (not locked in, just gated off with his crate bed in the area so that Morrigan can roam freely and he doesn't mind it one bit.)

I did speak to the vet yesterday (hubby thinks we're having an affair since he calls if I don't now) and told him what numbers I was getting and what her demeanour was like. His suggestion was that at these numbers, there's no need to test her quite so often...maybe, every other day for now and once or twice...not as often as some members in here test. He said that it's "establishing trust with her in the shots first, eating then, testing can be done more regularly if I want to". He was saying that people can get carried away with numbers and testing and it's not always necessary. He was calmly trying to stop me from having a break down by telling me that many patients only bring their cats in once every 3 months for a curve and NEVER get a number at home...they don't even own glucometers...something that made me gasp with a "I couldn't do that" response. He said that he likes it that I'm trying so hard and that I'm getting the numbers at home (as that is a truer measure than while in his office) but, that going overboard in testing is not necessary at this level and it's only turning Morrigan into a nervous mess with her personality as it is (he has needed glow in the dark bandaids with her too). He said that with more placid and trusting cats (who don't hold grudges like Morrigan does), testing is up to each individual and that while he totally advocates home testing for those who can and will, it's not necessary to be fanatical about it if we do....unless they are near the low end of the scale in which case, it's better to test more frequently.
    And, being me...the Nervous Nelly that I am...I also called our previous vet (now moved quite a distance and only in practise 2 days a week but, I trust with everything in me), asking HIM too. He gave the SAME answer as our current vet, not knowing what the other had said.
    He also said that it's important to get a gauge but, not be obsessed with it all and not to feel guilty in taking a rest or doing it every few days....and the only time that they want more frequent home testing is when a dosage is changed (up or down) or the cat/dog seems to be "off" (in action or eating). So, that kind of made me feel a bit more relieved in taking a rest yesterday from doing meter readings and letting her just get her shots. I did watch her like a hawk though and tested this morning pre-shot. Both of them said one thing that struck me...."what good is it for you or her in having a cat that dreads you and won't come out of hiding?"

So, I'm walking the tight rope of trying to get her to eat (we are trying Wellness Core Grain Free canned Chicken & Turkey & Chicken Liver) and if I sprinkle some FortiFlora on it...she'll nibble at it. She loves to try new foods and will eat it more at first or second trials, then trails off after a feeding or two. I'm resigning myself to the idea that she needs to eat (after the trouble we ran into, trying too hard as mentioned above) and if she'll eat the m/d kibble AND SOME canned food...I have to let her and keep on trying.

I have to remember that Rome wasn't built in a day and today is only one week of all of this. It's new to her and to us. We're all going to have to adjust with a bit of patience and a lot of love, I guess. Even Hubby, the "it doesn't bother me...it needs to be done, cavalier man" said last night..."I HATE doing this to her!" Somehow, that made me feel a bit stronger. I guess it's knowing that my feelings aren't that far off. But, I am going to take our vet's (the 2 of them) advice and just relax a bit with the testing and just concentrate on getting her to eat, trust us and come out of hiding! I don't even know that I have her until it's time to hunt her down, give her a shot/test. That's no life for her or us.

How are all of you doing?

bsmith likes this.
  48. Blamethecats and Hannah

Well, I'm certainly glad to hear that you've enjoyed our little trip down memory and tinfoil lane and that it's helped you to smile. Actually, it's helped me, too. I'm pretty sure we'll run into more of this silliness along the way, somewhere, sometime. It's bound to happen again. It always does. :D THANK GOODNESS!!!

I agree that it's first and foremost that you get Morrigan to eat. At this point, she really needs to eat, so feed her what she likes... within reason, of course. If it boosts her BG, then you can always adjust the insulin accordingly (with the help of your vet or someone here) while you continue to work on finding an appropriate food that she likes and is better for her. Granted, she may need a bigger dose of insulin for a while, but she's got to eat. A diabetic kitty that doesn't eat is lined up for additional problems the two of you do not need.

Yes, some of us do go overboard on testing, but many of us have very good reasons for that and you'll figure the reasoning out if and when the time comes. At the very least, in spite of what your two vets say, I would recommend ALWAYS testing prior to giving insulin, just in case Morrigan decides to give you some much lower numbers that you wouldn't see coming without testing. And it's good to get in at least one mid-cycle test, too, as that will give you an idea of just how low a particular dose takes her and how long the insulin lasts. I'm not familiar with using Lantus, but there are folks here that know it well and can guide you as to how to best use it. Don't be afraid to ask for help and to trust the advice given.

Hmmmmm, I guess that statement has some validity, but I don't agree fully. Yes, it's no fun for either you or Morrigan if she spends her life scared and in hiding, but neither one of you will get past that if you don't slowly start to work your way out of the situation. And... what good is it for you or Morrigan if she stays in hiding and remains sick? That doesn't work, either. Hannah was like that for quite a while, mostly because she was feeling scared and crappy. Once we got into a routine and she started to feel a bit better, she gradually got over it. That can happen for you and Morrigan, too. It's just something you both have to keep working on. You'll get there. Take a break every now and then, that's fine, but keep in mind that you can do this.

You've included a lot of wise insight in this paragraph. You're one week in and on the right track! You're in uncharted territory, at least for now. It is a BIG adjustment... yup!! And it definitely takes time and a lot of patience to regain the trust you mentioned. We know, we've all been where you are, now. None of us LIKE doing this to our fur babies, but if it can give them a better quality of life, then we just have to go for it and do the best we can.

Sending lots of hugs and encouragement your way,:bighug::bighug::bighug:
    Carole

49. SuePea

SuePea Member

I have got an enormous amount of respect for you, fighting like you are! I have 2 cats and the one with the problem is the most laid-back animal I have ever met. I can do almost anything with him. I don't know what I'd do if it was my spunky younger one. He'd slice me to ribbons the first time I tried to get a BG sample from him. You are doing an amazing job & don't let yourself tell you otherwise!:D

50. bsmith

bsmith Member

@Louellen, I'm glad the humor has been helping you. I laughed at the thought of your hubby thinking you're having an affair with the vet since you're calling each other so frequently. Keep making those tinfoil crowns and wands. However, you and @Blamethecats and Hannah should be wary of using glitter. You do know that glitter is the herpes of craft supplies, right? Once you use some of it, you will never be able to get rid of all of it and bits of it will continue popping up in odd places for the rest of your life. BEWARE THE GLITTER!

Seriously though, I think that you've expressed some wonderful insights in your post and @Blamethecats and Hannah's reply was everything that I would have liked to write too (though I would have used more commas and ellipsis ;) ). Dealing with illness and trying to get your cat to eat the appropriate foods can be so difficult. I had a little meltdown myself last night after learning that I need to switch Edwin's canned food again. I've spent so much time in the past month already dealing with food (combing through the food lists, standing in the cat food aisle reading labels and cursing, and trying to get Edwin to eat the food that I've brought home.) I'm almost to the point of going to the pet store and buying a bunch of feeder mice and releasing them into the house. I think that a fabulous idea, don't you?

As far as the dry food to wet food switch, you could also try sprinkling a little of the dried food that Morrigan likes on top of the canned food. You could also try grinding the dry food up and sprinkling a bit of that on top. This might make the canned food more appealing. In the meantime, here are a few links on getting your cat to eat more and transitioning your cat from dry to canned food:

How to Stimulate Your Kitty's Appetite

Tempting Your Cat to Eat

Transitioning Dry Food Addicts to Canned Food

I went through both the appetite lists trying to get Edwin to eat. Once you start garnishing your cats plate (a little sprinkle of catnip around the edges with an amuse bouche of freeze dried beef liver), it starts getting a little ridiculous, but I would have done anything if it would just get him eating. I was considering the addition of spinning plates on sticks to the act, but my lack of coordination and, thus, the plates falling to the floor would have probably scared the cat. Now it's better living through chemistry and adding Cyproheptadine to Edwin's meds has him eating much better.

Hugs to you and here's hoping that Morrigan starts eating better and becomes more comfortable with home BG testing soon.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  51. Louellen

Louellen Member

Oh dear, Blame....I just realized how my recounting what the vets said to me yesterday, sounded. I'm so sorry. I did NOT mean to say that everyone who was testing often was "off side" or "wrong". Not by any means! I know it sounded that way and I DO apologize (now that I've re-read how I wrote that).
    These 2 vets were responding to MY personal issues with Morrigan and her personality and how stressed it was making both of us. They were both trying to reassure me that I was doing ok and that it's ok to relax a bit right now, given the type of insulin she is on (the Lantus) and the levels she's at right now (meaning that she's not likely to go hypo or too far out of range in highs) at this particular point in time. They were both trying to stop me from running to my doc for a script for Valium. ;) I have been a total wreck over this. Part of it is because (as I was speaking with another member via private message) I've lost so many family members and so many much loved pets over the past 15 years now that I am TERRIFIED of doing something wrong and losing another much loved member of my life. I feel terribly guilty because I can't get the readings that a lot of members here are getting and having a mini-breakdown over it. They were simply trying to reassure me that if I can't get them, not to worry and that the main thing is (as you've said) to get her to trust us, EAT and come out of hiding. Then, the monitoring can be done more often. I'm SO sorry that what I wrote sounded as it did. I truly didn't mean it to sound that way. It was really just reassuring me that it's "ok" right now to NOT be "obesessive" with it as there is no need at this point and doing more harm than good to her and myself. That's all...it's MY personal situation that they were addressing and, I'm sure...they don't want the "freak outs" coming from me. :)

And, yes...you're right. I see by some member's charts that their cats have reached a point of "normalcy" or closer to it and they "could" go hypo or...need a reduction or even quit the insulin soon. I see WHY the testing are as they are. And, I know that Morrigan will eventually have to be upped on her dosage and will require more testings than I'm doing. Certainly what you're saying about testing before each shot and a mid-range is necessary when that happens. I am just worried silly (sick) about her not wanting to eat much and being so skittish with us that we barely see her. I need to back up the horses just a tad and try to get to a point where that eases a bit, get her eating and hope that she'll come around to feeling comfortable around us again.

I don't disagree with anything anyone says in here and that's why I'm here....I need the support, information and help and I DO enjoy everyone here that I've met.
    Please disregard the way that I said that. I truly only meant it to pertain to MY personal situation with Morrigan's temperament and the trouble I'm having in getting her to comply with things. It's just going to take time for both of us. :)

Thanks Blame. You've been nothing but, kind. :)

52. Lori & Lulu

Never underestimate the beauty of valium :p JK
    When I told my vet that I would be home testing, she mentioned that some people take it a little too far -- become obsessive compulsive. Well, she`s entitled to her opinion, and I respect her very much, but Lulu is MY cat (correction: I am Lulu`s bean) and we`ll do things the way we think is best, with the help of this forum. If you look at Lulu`s SS, some days I test many times, sometimes a few. Depends on her numbers. And there are lot of informed people on here whom I`ve come to trust.
    Just my .02 for what it`s worth (by the way, the penny is no longer minted in Canada).

Glad you`re here, Louellen :)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  53. Louellen

Louellen Member

OMG...bsmith....I think I just about fell off of my chair, laughing at your idea of releasing mice through the house to get your cat to eat out of desperation! You're not going to believe this but...I was thinking of throwing her outside and hoping she would catch a few mice on her own! (I cannot sit up for laughing right now). I think your idea is better. If I could stand having mice in my house...I'd let her go to it! That's how desperate I am too.
    And, talk about insanity...I SING to Morrigan to get her to eat. I'd do the spinning plates on sticks act for her too...but, like you...I'm afraid the crashing would send her into a nervous breakdown for months on end. ;)

I was in the pet food store the other day, sunglasses on my head, reading glasses hanging from my shirt collar and fishing through my purse for my glasses, mumbling (with non-G rated mutters) about where my glasses were. Some poor older woman, put her hand on my shoulder and said, "there they are, Dear", pointing to my shirt collar.
    Out came my cell phone, trying to find the calculator function to do the math to find the carb percentage and I thought I was going to go postal in there. I must have at least one, if not 2 of every brand we can get up here that fits the numbers. I had forgotten to bring the list with me (my bible of cat foods) so, I had to do the calculations...some with print so fine that I couldn't see it with my glasses on and had to get a store associate to try with a magnifying glass. They even offered me a seat to do it with. All that I could think of was....what's the use? She's NOT going to eat it anyway and walked out with yet another credit card receipt to magnetize to my fridge so that I can take back the dozens of unopened cans. I have even cried in stores through sheer frustration, confusion and not knowing what to do.

You know the oddball thing is...there's many of us on these forums, trying SO hard to keep our cats safe, doing the right things and trying so desperately. Yet, there's millions more people out there with diabetic cats (and other ailments) who are listening to their vets, feeding what they'll eat, upping the dosages as needed through vet office curves and not as stressed out as I am. Yet...I can't "un-know" what I know now so, I persist and try.

Meanwhile...setting feeder mice free through the house is looking better and better as an option right now! ;)

And, thank you so much for the links. I've got more reading ahead of me now.

But, I had to laugh. One vet (my favourite vet) asked me, "what does she really like". I had to answer..."everything that is bad for her to be eating and I'm sure..for me to go dunk my head in the toilet until I can't breathe." He laughed. I thought some more (I've tried the tuna, tuna water, low sodium broth, heating, chicken pieces, freeze dried treats, crumbled freeze dried treats sprinkled, parmesan cheese, real cooked liver pieces, sardines in water, heck...I'd even fry a mouse up if I had to!) Finally, I said, "cat nip...she LOVES cat nip". He said..."then put it on her food!" I said, "ok...but...then, how will I know what is cat nip induced "drunkenness" or hypo symptoms. He answered, "you'll have to test". I stopped, he stopped and I guess it clicked in because he answered..."oh yeah...she's not eating because she doesn't like being tested and you're having problems because you can't relax her.... Oh...forget that idea!" HUGE SIGH coming from him. Then...."yes...she's a difficult patient alright...well let me know what you come up with." I'm sure he's hoping that I'll find the "magic" and let HIM know for other patients. (Tin Foil Magic Wand time Glitter and all? ;) )

I'm going out in a bit with hubby to catch a tea out for a change and try to get rid of this nasty headache. About the only thing that I've had ANY sort of success with..and even that is limited to when she feels like it...is sprinkling some FortiFlora (the canine version) over her food. If I mix it through it...no go but, sprinkling it...she'll eat the top layer so, I have to stand there, singing to her, sprinkling, praying and thinking of ways to keep her amused without thinking that I'm about to give her a shot or test.

I'll take up playing an instrument if it will help get her to eat by being serenaded! ;)

54. Louellen

Louellen Member

Suepea...my first Sugar Kitty was SO placid that I could have pierced his nose as long as he had his food in front of him. He was a total doll and let me do anything I needed to do with him or for him. I was actually so good with doing things with him that the vets used to hand me a script for meds to get at a compounding pharmacy for his needs and tell me...just give him the shots...you can do it. And, sure enough...Topper was incredible with some pretty hefty injections.

Morrigan...we're talking Regan from The Exorcist! I'm waiting for pea soup to be spit at me and the 360 degree head spin! I swear she can do it! ;)

55. Louellen

Louellen Member

Holy crow, Lori & Lulu! I just looked at Lulu's SS and wow! No wonder you are monitoring so closely. It's as though Lulu was in high numbers for a short period of time and with the insulin...within a VERY short period of time...she dropped down into both normal and hypo levels! With numbers like that...I'd be testing silly too. That has to feel like a roller coaster ride. I also see where you had to treat for hypo and just...WOW!

But, may I ask (just to understand...not questioning anything by any means)...I saw that her insulin amounts were going up and down then, up again, now down. Was that on your own accord or what your vet ordered? (The reason I'm asking is that our vet wanted to start off at 2 units and when I ddi the calculation, it seemed too high for her weight so, he agreed and put it down to 1 unit to start with and I'm wondering whether I did the right thing in questioning that seeing as Lulu has come down so quickly). I'm also seeing that Lulu's weight has dropped. If you don't mind me asking...is that because of the diet, the insulin making her appetite smaller?

In YOUR case...of course, you'd have to test often. No doubt. :)

And yeah....we have to go up to 5 cent's worth now as they round off too LOL ;)

56. bsmith

bsmith Member

I'm might have to dial down my hilarity, or take out some sort of laughter induced injury insurance policy rider, if people are going to start falling out of chairs. :woot: That or I'm going to have to find glow in the dark ace bandages for those larger injuries.

Edwin gets to go outside during the day now so he has caught some mice, a couple of moles, and a chipmunk. The problem is that I don't think he knows that he can eat them. He's been an indoors only cat for most of his life. There are never any marks on the creatures he brings me. I'm thinking this issue probably stems from the fact that I've scolded him in the past for ripping up his toys. He doesn't want to rip up his new "outside" toys, which he seems to think belong in the middle of the living room floor. (Those stay outside Edwin, outside. Especially if they're still mostly alive. It's a lovely gift you've brought me, but it doesn't really go with the living room decor. Cat feng shui is much different than the human version.)

Actually, my main concern for Edwin being outside was about his "hunting." Early on, when he was first being allowed loose outside, I was outside reading a book and keeping and eye and/or ear on him. I heard a deer making that noise they make when they're unhappy and looked up to see Edwin closely stalking a group of five full grown whitetail deer (100-150 lbs each in this area). The deer recognized the stalking behavior and kept backing up.

Since the deer know me, I've known a number of them since they were yearlings, and they know that Edwin's my cat, they kept looking at me in confusion and for help. My cat was clearly viewing them as prey, but he's only a nine lbs house cat who's pretty old, has bad arthritis, and has spent most of his life indoors. I'm pretty sure he can't take down a full grown deer.

I tried calling him off, but he was too deep into hunting mode to pay attention. I reminded him that he doesn't even like venison as we've tried feeding it to him in every form possible and he won't touch it. I reminded him that deer bite. (You should sit on the floor to read that link or improvise a seat belt for your chair. My Dad originally read me that story out of one of his hunting magazines.)

I finally gave up on trying to call Edwin off and just told the deer that they were going to have to kick his butt a bit to convince him that hunting deer was a bad idea. I asked them to be gentle about it since he's pretty old and apparently even more "special" than I originally thought. The deer went just went away that day, but one of them later on must have gently convinced him to stop stalking deer. Edwin has stopped going after the deer, but isn't scared of them. It must have also made him think twice about what animals he goes after. When we had wild turkeys in the yard last year his eyes got really big and then he moved to get behind me. I think he's getting smarter, maybe. :)

Boy, that story turned into a whole mini-novel.

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only crazy cat lady hanging out in the cat food aisle and using four letter words that would make a sailor blush. It sounds like a nice pet food store as they offered you not only a magnifying glass to use, but a chair too. Don't worry about that little old lady, she's probably heard those words before ;) .

Edwin's pretty big on catnip too, so I definitely used that in trying to get him to eat. As a bonus it's low carb too! Are you using the canine version of Forti Flora because that's what you already had on hand or because you can't get the feline version in Canada? Either way, I'd be willing to mail you some of the feline version. I already have some of it and Edwin wants nothing to do with it. Let me know if you want me to send you some.

About the people who don't test and just give their cats the insulin dosage and food sold by their vets, I suspect that a number of those cats may not have as good of an outcome, especially with regards to being able to go into remission. As the prescription food is often still higher in carbs than a lot of the foods being fed by people here, I think that's the main thing that keeps those cats from having disastrous hypos. I also wonder how many of those cats have a shortened lifespan due to hypos or, on the other side, issues related to DKA. However, I have no idea about the statistics of the lifespan of cats who are regularly BG tested and have their insulin adjusted and regulated carefully versus cats who go with the no testing and just stick with the vet prescribed dose.

I know that for Edwin, with the somewhat odd way that he reacted to Lantus, he was probably a disastrous hypo just waiting to happen. I hate to think what might have happened if I had not been testing and had just stuck with the initial dose given to me by the vet. He was on his prescribed dosage of 1 unit for one shot and was then immediately droppped to 0.5 unit because of his initial reaction. My vet said don't test, just give him the prescribed dose no matter what his preshot number is. There was no way that I was going to do that. I refused to even start insulin until I had a BG test kit in one hand and karo syrup in the other. However, I guess other cats are just able to deal with insulin better and are better able to self correct their BG if it goes too low.

I hope you and your hubby have had a nice relaxing night out. A little time off and away from the stress should be helpful. Tell your hubby that tomorrow night you'll fry him up some nice mice. Oh wait, those are supposed to be for the cat. :rolleyes:

57. Mogmom and Goofus

Mogmom and Goofus Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    Reason for edit: addition to post
  58. bsmith

bsmith Member

Here's a good post on traveling and camping with your diabetic cat.

Louellen likes this.
  59. Tiger-Hobo

Tiger-Hobo Member

Louellen, I just find your post now and I can see you got already lots of post, respond from great members. Please, don’t bet up yourself. You see.. you gave me so much great information a couple days ago, what I still try to take in, learn and checking into.
    You are doing great!!!I was in the same shoes two years ago when Kangaroo was diagnosed. He was a dry food addict, a junky commercial one. The first month was a hell for both of us. He was running away anywhere where he can, up on the high cat tree under the king size bed etc. and I was chasing, grabbing him, wrestle with him to getting blood from him. That wasn’t easy either - by that time both of us was exhausted. Giving the shots .. I had tons of fur shots because he jumped in that moment when I put the syringe in him. After a month started to change, he doesn’t run away but still was scared. I always used a same place on one of the sofa to check, feed and shot. I tried to sit with him when everything was down and pat him so he would have some pleasant experience in it too. These day he wait me at the kitchen and I follow him to “his place”.
    As Chris mentioned too, He loves the cooked/ baked chicken mostly breast but not that fussy. He always get a little after his meal as a treat or some times when he doesn’t want to eat, I start with that and then he finishing the can too.
    I was bad, I took him off from the dry food from one day to the other. (Oh that crying..)He was hunting dry food peace’s when the door opened and the other healthy kitties finished with the meal. He even eat the dog food when I left it out accidently.
    I know how easy to say that but try not stress out yourself. Your nervousness will go over her and makes thing worse. Give a time and patient to you and to her. It will get easier and that time you will think back, smiling on the present situation.
    As others mentioned it you should check out BJM’s signature link and just ask questions, and vent when needed, there is so many very experienced, knowledgeable member here who happy to help with suggestion, opinion and good advice as you did for me too..

60. Mogmom and Goofus

Thank you so much for the camping tips! We have a fifth wheel camperso it's not so hard that way, but the thing is, Goofus is such a scary cat, pardon the pun. He's terrified to ride in the car, going to the vet is awful for him. I'm afraid he'll be miserable the whole time. Maybe we could try a couple of one nighters first to let him adjust.

Louellen likes this.
  61. bsmith

bsmith Member

You could also try some backyard camping at first to get him used to it. Having a camper definitely makes it much easier than a tent. About the car rides, maybe try to ease him into it with some short trips around town that don't end at the vet. If he's anxious in the car there are anxiety meds and sedatives for cats that you could use, but there are a few other things you could try first. Edwin's a big scaredy cat too. A few things that help him are calming collars, feliway spray, Bach's rescue remedy, and TrueDose calming liquid. If those things fail, play "The Ventures" in the car. Cats love "The Ventures." ;)

62. Blamethecats and Hannah

"Wipeout", "Walk, Don't Run"... that should definitely do it!!

63. Mogmom and Goofus

Thanks bsmith and blame, for good morning chuckle! I'm definitely going to get that pop up screen tent! I already have some calming treats and Goof's numbers run low enough that I'm not too worried about the carbs in them.

Maybe I could even try playing Tom Jones' What's New Pusycat?

64. Blamethecats and Hannah

Hey, there's another excellent idea!

65. Lori & Lulu

Sorry for the delay in responding, I just saw this post now. And please feel free to ask any questions at all, I never take offence as we`re all here to help each other. I`ve actually been using the guidance of experienced members of this forum as to testing and dosage adjustments. I`m using the TR protocol, but still don`t understand it completely, so the assistance of other members has been a godsend. Also, Lulu`s weight is dropping slowly because she needs to lose a few more pounds weight -- she was quite an obese kitty and I suspect that is what caused her diabetes. She lost a LOT of weight in a short period of time, along with some other symptoms, so I took her off to the vet for a full blood panel. Diabetes was the dx. I bought a baby scale so that I can monitor her weight. The vet says that if she loses slowly, that`s ok, but if she loses rapidly then I need to bring her in. Another reason that she`s losing is because she is now on an all wet diet, where she used to eat kibble -- high carbs, high calories in kibble.

Have a great weekend, Louellen and Morrigan.

Louellen likes this.
  66. Louellen

Louellen Member

Oh my goodness....another fit of laughter here over this thread. Bsmith...if you and I went cat food shopping together, we'd be thrown out of the stores. Either that or they'd be calling us "The Crazy Cat Ladies". I can tell you that a drunken sailor in a bar would be shocked at the words that come out of my mouth when crunching carb numbers, trying to read the TINY print on cans resembling the fine print on a legal document and asking out loud (with no one in particular to ask)...."why the #*** they didn't include the ash content?".

I'm not sure if Morrigan and Edwin would be best of friends or sparring buddies. Morrigan is also a "hunter". We had to attach bells to her because she'd come in with mice and birds as well, meowing and dropping them at my feet. And, the best part of this is...I live in a BIG city in an urban setting so, where she got them...I don't know. One time, she brought in a live bird (we won't talk about the live mice that lived with us until I captured them in "humane traps" and set them free). The bird flew, crazed through my house, feathers everywhere and droppings (to be G rated) on everything in the place. I finally opened doors (locking Morrigan, our other cat and the dog up in the bedroom) and the bird eventually flew out but, it took over an hour for it to do so. Then, began the clean-up. It took me 3 days to clean the house again, shampoo the area rugs, the couches and just as I thought I'd gotten it all, I'd find more down the backs of shelves, on walls etc. (one little bird can certainly create a LOT of excrement).

Tiger-Hobo...thank you for your kind words. I did feel badly that my post came across as though I was putting down home testing. I'm not at all doing that as it IS necessary. I just felt badly that while writing that in my "panic mode", it came out all wrong and not seeming as I meant it. I do love everyone in here and it's been my lifeline over the past couple of weeks as have the wonderful people that I've met thus far....including YOU. :) I hope to be able to help others too as I also learn....even if it's only moral support or a laugh or two. Sometimes, we can know all of the technical stuff but, we need "friends" to help us through too. :) So, thank you.

And, while I don't go camping...I'm following those tips too. We took Morrigan and her now, departed brother with us to a rented cottage for a week a couple of years ago (yes, we don't get on vacations often but, we send vets on them!) Morrigan didn't adjust very well to the change. She rammed herself behind the fridge and stayed there for 3 days, only venturing out to hit her litter box (thankfully she did that much). She ate little and took another week being back at home to re-adjust. What a nightmare that was. So, camping...nah...not for me....I would be looking for a fridge to hide behind in terms of the nightmare of trying to find HER. ;)

Keep the laughs coming. I thoroughly enjoy the humour. It breaks up the tension and I love to laugh. :)

67. Louellen

Louellen Member

Thank you, Lori & Lulu....makes perfect sense. Morrigan was nearly 16 lbs too and that's what our vet told us too. When she started drinking and peeing like crazy and dropping weight (went from 15.8 lbs to 14.4 lbs in 4 months)...we knew something was wrong and had a full blood panel done as well as urinalysis. Diabetes and the vet said the same thing...her weight was an issue/factor in the start of the diabetes. She's now on both canned foods but, still clinging to half of her diet as m/d kibble.

Thank you for that answer. :)

68. Mitzelplik's Mom

Mitzelplik's Mom Member

Hi Louellen,
    Like everyone else has said. you are doing great, and try to remember to breathe and relax! Morrigan makes me appreciate how mellow Mitz is. I feel very lucky for that! We've even taken her on a few vacations with us and she's an amazing traveller which I think is extremely rare in a cat! So, Morrigan is clearly a kitty who HATES change. I think your vets made some very valid points regarding easing up on the tests. While I can't imagine not testing at least 3 times a day now, it took me about 8 months to work up the nerve to test every day. You've made amazing progress in just 1 week, don't forget that :). Again as others have said, the most important thing at the moment is getting her to eat. Morrigan might need to make that transition much slower than other cats and thats ok, even if it means that she eats kibble for longer than you'd like. The next most important thing is working up to testing. Don't beat yourself up if you can't get as many tests as you'd like right now. Morrigan needs to get comfortable with a brand new routine and lots of annoying things that she's never experienced before. She might need to do this in teeny tiny baby steps with lots and lots of bribery. If she loves catnip, maybe give her a tiny bit as a reward when you bring her to your test spot and play with her ears several times without even trying to test, for example. If she'll let you handle her feet, maybe paw pad tests would be less stressful. Maybe it means going a day or 2 with out actually testing. I think that would be OK if it helps both of you get more comfortable. You'll get there. As her body gets used to the insulin, she'll probably start feeling a little better and that might help too.

Sorry if I'm just repeating things you've already heard but I guess I just wanted to emphasize the point that every cat is different and what ever works for your cat is the right thing. Morrigan is very lucky girl to have such dedicated humans!
    You most definitely deserve your tin foil crown!:cat:

Joan

69. Louellen

Louellen Member

Thank you Mitzelplik's Mom (Joan). It really helps to be reassured with everything. I'm working my way up with once a day in testing. I have to choose the point at which I test though. I try mostly AMPS but, if I don't get that one, I get the mid-range. Today, I've skipped the AMPS test as she was fairly testy this morning and after a few days in a row of AMPS being 14. something (as well as her having eaten half decently this morning), I figured it wasn't worth her nerves or mine. Besides, I kind of like to have my fingers and arms to give her the shot and not sit in an ER, waiting for stitches. ;)

So, besides skipping one day thus far, I'm getting at least one test in a day. Today, I have to go out and run errands or we'll be eating the cat and the dog for dinner instead ;) But, I hope to get a mid-range reading today and perhaps, a PMPS reading. I'll settle for mid-range though if I can't get the pre-shot tonight and the numbers are still within her usual range as I know the PM reading will be higher than the mid-cycle (that's her best eating time of the day usually).

I am getting better at it....meaning, getting one with a writhing, hissing, growling cat and hubby holding her. :)

Does anyone else seem to hate certain parts of their days (i.e.: testing and shot times) like me? ;) (mind you...I do this for her, knowing that I want her healthy and here with us...even if she hates me for it)

70. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Did we mention giving a low carb treat at every test, regardless of success? It can really help with the cooperation.

Louellen likes this.
  71. Louellen

Louellen Member

Thanks BJM...yes...I have treats for her but, of course...she won't look at the low carb versions that we can get up here. I've tried the "freeze dried" in all the flavours and no go. So, I put down (yes, I know it's bad) about 3 Luv's Tuna treats (which she LOVES but...doesn't eat most of the time. It distracts her, smelling them though for at least 10 seconds). Every once in awhile, she'll eat a piece or 2 but, that's rare. She's too busy, looking at what I have in my hands. :)

I'm going to try real Tuna again or chicken. :)

72. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Maybe try fresh baked/poached chicken bits?

Louellen likes this.
  73. Louellen

Louellen Member

I will try that. Going to have to do some chicken tomorrow and try it. Thank you. :)

74. Lori & Lulu

Lulu is still grumpy about ear pokes and injections. I softly sing songs from my childhood hoping to calm her somewhat. And reward her with treats (she loves Orijen dried boar), scritches and telling her what a wonderful girl she is.

Louellen likes this.
  75. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

My old civie sometimes gets fussy with food and his "food fix " is a few bits of pan fried chicken. I know I shouldn't do it, but a few little pieces seem to trigger his appetite. Baked or poached don't cut it. Everything is better fried! I also had a cat years ago who would climb all over us to get some smoked oysters! Gotta think outside the box with some of these babies. That said, Menace my diabetic is still not falling for any of my oddball ploys! HUGE SIGH!!! Caviar anyone???!!

76. Beth61

Beth61 Member

This is an interesting thread!

Louellen likes this.
  77. Louellen

Louellen Member

Pan fried chicken....hmmmm...haven't done that in years, MrWorfMen's Mom. I'm going to have to give that a shot because roasted isn't cutting it for Morrigan either. Mind you, Hubby is also diabetic and watching cholesterol so, I'll have to keep him out of the pan. But, you just gave me an idea! I wonder about chicken LIVER fried? She loves that. Thank you for the idea! (mind you...I'll have to slap my hand to stay out of the pan if I do those!)

Lori & Lulu....oh yeah....last night and this morning has seen one cantankerous cat. My singing could likely clear a room so, it's no wonder SHE doesn't like it. ;) She gets all kinds of pats, "noogies" (head rubs), treats and the like. Nothing works when she doesn't want to get the ear poke. At best, I get to do the right ear but she won't let me touch the left for some reason though...it seems fine. I hate poking just one ear all of the time but, I did get some Polysporin ointment with Lidocaine to use only when she won't sit well. It's supposed to take some of the "ouch factor" away. I mainly use Vaseline though.

We're using the injector needle right now with the pen as she's on 1 full unit (will have to switch to syringes if her dosage goes up to a half point).
    Hubby gave PM shot last night but, the needle portion bent so, we can only assume that it bent at the skin and may not have gotten in at all. We're questioning a "fur shot" even though I couldn't find any trace of it in the fur.
    This morning's number was ridiculous (19.2) and she's been nibbling on food about a half hour prior to testing and now, thinking that the shot didn't get in last night at all. I haven't seen it this high since before we began insulin.
    Then, I tried to do the test and give the AM shot and what a mood she was in! She tried to run as I got it in.... but, thankfully, I hadn't injected yet (that pen injector really does work in that aspect of things as it shows that there hadn't been an injection). I had to poke again but, she tried to run just as I pushed the button. I'm not sure I even got that in.
    I guess we are having a bad day and I will have to re-check her numbers mid-cycle. Not sure why she was so uptight last night and this morning (I mean...more than her usual upset self). Very difficult cat to deal with. Even her vet has said that he's not seen many cats as difficult and wishes us well.

I just made an appointment with my chiropractor for tomorrow (Tues) as my back, neck and shoulders are so tight I could snap if I try to bend. It's all from struggling with Morrigan to calm her and get the tests and shots. This HAS to settle down somehow as I'm ready to throw something through a window with it closed soon. ;)

78. MrWorfMen's Mom

@Louellen Have you tried Feliway? It's feel good synthetic pheromone that helps calm some cats. You can get a diffuser that plugs into an electrical outlet or spray to use where ever and whenever needed. I don't think it works with all cats but it might be worth a shot since Morrigan's world is unfortunately being rocked a little more than she's comfortable with these days. It might just save your back and your windows!

Louellen likes this.
  79. Louellen

Louellen Member

Yes, thank you MrWorfmen's Mom. My previous vet now works for the manufacturers of Feliway and I've tried the spray that he gave me for free. He suggested that I try spraying myself and Karl with it as well as the blanket that she gets put on for the shots and tests. It doesn't seem to work for her for some reason. Even he admitted that it doesn't work for every cat. But, you have given me an idea! She LOVES catnip so, I might try rubbing some into he blanket she sits on. Mind you...that might cause her to try to "roll through it" but, it's worth a try. :) Thank you! :)

How does one tag someone with the link like that? Got to figure that one out next. :)

(My head hurts from learning now! ;) )

80. Louellen

Louellen Member

@MrWorfMen's Mom

Ha! just figured it out! :) Look above MrWorfmen's Mom :) XO

If new members are reading this (as I am still a new member)....you "tag" by typing in the "@" sign then type in the name of the person you wish to tag (or start). A drop-down menu will open up with the person's name or similar names. Just click on that name and it will enter it as a "linked tag". :)

We learn something new every day. :)

81. Blamethecats and Hannah

Hannah also prefers the right ear, and I've never been able to figure out why, either. However, she does allow me to do the left if I insist on it. She just keeps turning her head from left to right, up and down, when I do. Guess she figures if she makes it challenging enough, I'll give up... but I don't... only once in a while. Fortunately, that's about as difficult as my furbaby ever gets. Guess I'm blessed to have such a good patient.

Again, best wishes. Next, we're hoping Morrigan will let you grab a few PMPS numbers. You might not think you're making much progress, but I can see that you are. Those yellow numbers on her spreadsheet aren't all that bad. :cat:

Louellen likes this.
  82. Blamethecats and Hannah

There's a little bit of everything here, isn't there?! Something for everyone! A smorgasbord of information... and even some humor, too.

Louellen likes this.
  83. manxcat419

Rosa usually prefers the right ear too. Though for some reason, I also find I tend to get a better "hit" with the lancet on her right ear as well, so maybe she's learned that it's over quicker when I use the right instead of the left. I can only think that it's something to do with the angle with me being right-handed - there's no way I could use the lancet left-handed to get the same angle on her left ear!

84. MrWorfMen's Mom

@Louellen - If the catnip doesn't work, try to some honeysuckle scent and see if she likes that. I had never heard of it but a friend told me her cats, who aren't overly affected by catnip, love it. Pretty bad when we end up trying to "drug" our cats to give them their medicine. catnip.png

Louellen likes this.
  85. SuePea

SuePea Member

the mention of snacks reminded me, years and years ago, I used to be able to buy whole, dried little minnow type fish for cat snacks. They may even have been sardines. My cats loved them! I haven't seen them in so long I forgot about them. Has anyone seen anything like it? They ought to be low carb, it's just dried fish...

Louellen likes this.
  86. manxcat419

Oh - I'd completely forgotten about those type of cat treats. I had some for my 2 once, years ago, as well - I think they were whitebait...very small and they were the whole fish. I haven't seen them in years, though I can't say I've looked for them either!

Louellen likes this.
  87. SuePea

SuePea Member

it would be so nice to find them again. I think it could be good for their teeth, kind of crunchy--and possibly really nice for any cat who misses crunchy kibble.

Louellen likes this.
  88. manxcat419

If I do find any anywhere (of course I'm going to have to check all the stores for them now you've reminded me they exist as my 2 used to love them too) ;) I can buy some extra and send you some. I'll let you know if I manage to get hold of any. :)

Louellen likes this.
  89. SuePea

SuePea Member

Or just let me know where you find them, if you find them at a big store! I'm going to check PetSmart and PetCo next time I get a chance. I know WalMart doesn't have them; I'd have seen them if they did.

Louellen likes this.
  90. manxcat419

Will do! :) Our Walmart here doesn't have them either...in fact the only kitty treats they sell are the horrible high carb ones (which unfortunately cats seem to love). If neither of us can find them in any of the bigger stores, we do have 3 or 4 locally owned and run pet stores near here that I'll check at too.

Louellen likes this.
  91. SuePea

SuePea Member

Louellen likes this.
  92. manxcat419

It looks like the same stuff (or as close as we're likely to find) to me. And a good price too! :D Thank you for finding them...off to order a couple of packs now - see if my 2 like them as much as they used to! :D :D

Louellen likes this.
  93. SuePea

SuePea Member

You're so welcome!! We're gonna have some happycats!! :bighug: & headscratches for the kitties!

Louellen and manxcat419 like this.
  94. manxcat419

Oops - got distracted on Amazon as usual! ;) We are definitely going to have very happy kitties! :) :cat: :cat:

I never think about buying cat food on Amazon - where I used to live in the UK it was easier to get it locally so I don't think I'd ever have thought of looking there if you hadn't found it. :bighug:

Louellen likes this.
  95. Louellen

Louellen Member

Wow, we're going the whole gamut for our kitties, aren't we? I mean...who is doing that for us?
    Anyone want to come back as one of our cats? I'm thinking I might have a nice life! ;)

Really, as much guilt as I feel in having to do this to her (mainly because she just wants what she wants and not what she doesn't want...spoiled brat that she is ;)), I figure that having people chase me around with bowls of food, treats, checking in on me, patting and loving me, singing to me, getting me "high" (catnip/honeysuckle scent...thank you @MrWorfMen's Mom for that suggestion...now to find it), hugging me, (watching them go red eyed and stuff up because of allergies to us and laughing at them), having them up all night, checking on me, getting them to come home early or leave later to ensure I'm ok, having them turn cartwheels to get me out from my several beds/hiding places, serving us "breakfast, lunch and dinner in bed", cleaning my toilet, being able to be grumpy, hit, whack and snarl and still have them love me, being able to watch them travel the 4 corners of the earth to find special foods and treats for me then watching that puzzled look as to how they're going to pay for it all....yeah...I think I could live my cat's life and be pretty comfortable and put up with a few "pricks" on the ear or butt...how about you?

Would you believe that I HAD to know what she was feeling so, I took one of the needles (not loaded with anything) and stuck it into myself several times to feel what she might be feeling. You know what? It's nothing (just in case you haven't tried it and been as stupid as I am). ;)

So, besides chicken frying, chicken liver frying, I'm going to be ordering dried fish and honeysuckle scent. Anything for our babies, right? :)
    Ok...pass the Valium and sleeping pills, please as I'm going to need to take on another job to pay off my credit card debts.
    Does anyone know if Amazon sells Valium and sleeping pills too? ;)

96. Louellen

Louellen Member

I see that Amazon ships for free on orders over $35.00. Given that the Canadian dollar is worth nothing...that means that each bag of dried whole fish is $1.99 U.S. so, after 5 bags of that...I'll need to spend another $26.00 U.S. to get the free shipping. Uhhhh...either I go shopping on Amazon or, I wait to see if your cats like 'em first. ;)

97. Louellen

Louellen Member

@Blamethecats and Hannah ...I'm going to try to get a PMPS reading tonight. :)
    I haven't been able to get one at night as she is really grumpy at that point and my patience has worn thin by that time as well as not being able to see straight from being tired and worried that I'll poke myself first....but, yes...you are right. I'm going to need a number there sometimes too now. :)
    And, yes...for me it is the right ear as well that she'll sort of...let me get to. The left...she somehow contorts herself into some sort of angle that just won't let me get it. It's as though it's more sensitive or something??? Maybe, I'm going to have to somehow change positions so that I can get the left ear now and again? I know she hates it but, I can't always hit the same ear. That poor thing must be sore. :(

98. SuePea

SuePea Member

Lou, the manufacturer is Hagen and if you go to their website, they will tell you where you can get their products in Canada. I am about dead certain this is the same snacks that I used to get for my cats 20 years ago.

Louellen likes this.
  99. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

My dad once did some market research, went to a pet food manufacturer, and the product development folks there said if you put the right fat on it, a cat might eat sawdust ... and did you ever notice the 'diet' foods sometimes have methylcellulose in them?

Louellen and MrWorfMen's Mom like this.
  100. MrWorfMen's Mom

Hmmmm! Next time I roast a chicken or turkey, I'll try putting some of the pan drippings on canned food to see if that will entice my kibble addict. I can't for the life of me understand why any living creature prefers to eat kibble. Just the smell of it puts me off and the texture is somewhat like sawdust! Maybe I should get her nose checked!

Louellen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.