Worried mom :-(

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by KittyMom777, Nov 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KittyMom777

KittyMom777 Member

I'm worried about Silver tonight. He's not himself and swishes his tail when I pet him. He's has gone off to lie in the other room. Usually he's by my side. Took a test and he's not low by any means - 17.8. He's had diarrhea for two days and he's just out of sorts :-(. He's also back to drinking much more than he had been.

2. Charlotte & Prop

Charlotte & Prop Member

The drinking are because of his numbers, but it sounds like you need to take a trip to the vet to figure out what is going on. Everytime my cats act different i get really nervous too, so i understand your concerns.
    I hope Silver will be better soon.

3. tibbs5

tibbs5 Well-Known Member

hi Juliet
    yes i would also trust your instincts. if you feel something is off with your baby, go to the vet. i don't recall if you were testing for ketones. you can buy strips to test the urine or i use this meter for a blood test. for me it's easier to get at same time i test blood sugar. i don't do it every day strips are expensive but it's good if u can't get urine sample. hope u can get to vet soon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0050Z48I ... SY165_QL70

4. phlika29

phlika29 Well-Known Member

I agree you want to test for ketones and take Silver to the vets if you are worried. When remi was drinking a lot because his bold glucose was high I noticed that his poo was quite wet. Not diarrhoea though.

I think we talked about potassium levels yesterday And I wonder if his stays might have changed because of the diarrhoea. Bizarrely remi got weaker and weaker once he was on lantus and Mel explained that some diabetic cats under treatment can end up with low potassium levels. Again if you go to the vet you could ask for that test. You shouldn't need to run an expensive test to check for that parameter but I totally get the money situation. The trouble is if you just leave it you will worry and worry anyway.

5. KittyMom777

KittyMom777 Member

Thanks all. He seems back his normal self today.

I can't test for ketones with two cats in the house and the only litter they will use is the absorbent kind. I rarely see him in the box so couldn't tell which one is using it.

Can't afford the vet right now. I literally have used up all my savings and maxed out my credit cards on the vet. Nothing left. I have to do this myself for now.

The vet said he had no infection so Im stopping the antibiotics. He was on them for 9 days.

I still don't understand at all why the vet got low numbers on his curve. He was at the vet for it only a week ago. I've never seen low numbers ever. I really think they must have got it wrong.

Now I'm back at work I can only do preshot tests and possibly an evening +2 so won't have a clear idea of his numbers again until next weekend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.