Worried Newbie

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Loretta Palmer, May 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loretta Palmer

Loretta Palmer New Member

Just found out 3 days ago my 10 yr old Layla has diabetes. She is on dry food (which is diabetic, but I will just keep her on wet after she eats all this). I cannot afford to get rid of it because I have all this regular food to get rid of. Since she does not handle drama at all, the vet said just try to control it by diet. After reading all the posts I am afraid she will die w/o the insulin. She doesn't seem like the same cat. Her fur is coming out like crazy. I really can't afford another vet visit now either. Does anyone know how long it will take for her to feel better? I am worried sick.

2. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Shiloh & Rhonda (GA) Well-Known Member

Loretta,
    Mine was newly diagnosed about two weeks ago, so I am definitely not the most knowledgeable here, but I"m learning. What was her blood sugar at the vet? And what do you mean that her dry food is diabetic? Do you mean low carb? Are you home testing?

3. Loretta Palmer

the vet told me her bs level but I thought she gave me a paper with it written down, but she did not. So I cannot remember.. The food is Hills m/d. No they sent me home with just food because Layla really goes nuts if you mess with her like that. She will not even eat today. I am just so worried.

4. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Did the vet give her an insulin shot at the office? As you will see from searching the forums, the Rx food is not necessarily best. And alot of cats (previous ones that I have owned) won't eat the Rx food. Get a couple of cans of Fancy Feast or Friskies, just make sure no gravy. Check the carb % on the label. Can you call the vet and find out what her BS level was?

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  5. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

6. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

And Loretta, you may want to post to the Feline Health message board for a quicker response?

7. Loretta Palmer

the vet did not give her a shot and vet is closed. I will post to other msg board. thank you so much

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.