Worried over 1 of my civies

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MommaOfMuse, Jun 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Now I'm worrying over one of my big civie toms Patches has been vomiting for about 3 days now...He is eating fine, drinking fine and as far as I can tell acting fairly normal...But my big concern is that was what I first saw in Muse..What he is throwing up is white or clear, so no signs of worms, hairballs etc. Should I check his BG or am I just being an over protective momma after losing Muse?

Mel & Muse (GA)

2. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

How old is he? The first thing that came to me was Hyperthyroidism, my hypert's usually vomitted clear liquid. A full blood work up may be in order to check hypert, kidneys, liver values. It may be nothing, but just in case, bloodwork is a good start.

3. MommaOfMuse

I have no clue how old he is...he was a feral born and I'm not his first momma...I can safely say he is over 4 since I have had him that long but he was already an adult when I got him. He came from friends who were the first to tame him down but no idea how old he was when they finally got him indoors (tiny I think). But can't confirm that with them, as we have lost touch after they moved. I don't think he is over about 5 or 6. But he is nickname is Pudgly for a reason he is HUGE. Not as bad as when he first came to live with us, but still a monster, he tips the scales at 18lbs. When I got him he was over 25lbs and literally waddled when he walked. He is utd on all shots expect rabies, (which he can't have allergic). The thing that concerned me the most is this morning I actually had to call him to breakfast, normally this guy is on the counter and opening the cupboard for his Breakfast. The other thing is that it has been really hot and humid here and the AC is broke, but we have ceiling fans and box fans running and all the kitties have free run of the basement where it is cool. I told Jon the other day I'm just about ready to grab all 8 and BG test them all.

I may be over protective and paranoid (still can't help feeling like I let Muse down by taking so long to figure out what was wrong with her) But maybe for just the peace of mind I'll test them all.

Mel & Muse (GA)

4. tuckers mom

I've been thinking about getting this cooling bed for Tucker.

http://www.petedge.com/product/Cool-Bed-III/47054.uts

Not sure how it would work with cat claws though. I'll keep looking, they must make something similar for kitties somewhere.

Check his BG, it certainly won't hurt. If you can't go to the vet for blood work, give some Pepcid, I believe a half tablet and that should help with the belly ache, but if things continue, a vet visit would be in order.

5. MommaOfMuse

Okay now I feel much better finally corraled Sir Patches and after several failed attempts finally got to check his BG it was a nice healthy 55 (deep sigh of relief). However my little dumpster rescue is still in the safe area but higher than the rest of the civies she is 110 should I keep checking her? Does age make a difference? Angel is approx 9 months old.

Mel & Muse (GA)

6. tuckers mom

Check her again in a few days but at a different time. Could be food spike, could be she saw the other kitties getting tested, could be nothing at all. It's hard not to worry.

One day you'll be doing something and you'll get a cut and the first thing you'll want to do is grab your glucometer and test yourself :lol:

7. MommaOfMuse

lol been there done that in fact I was the first one I checked...lol Just wanted to show the fur kids that it didn't hurt and I wasn't asking anything of them that I wouldn't do to myself. And yes it is very hard now not to worry over the other 8. They have all come to us with such hard luck stories and after losing Muse I'm now constantly checking everytime someone it too vocal, overly sleepy, sneezes or just not acting completely "normal". I'm probably driving them all crazy. I'm sure that will eventually wear off some with time.

Thanks again for helping with the silly worries.

Mel & Muse (GA)

8. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Hi

If he has been vomiting for several days and/or his appetite has changed significantly, he needs a vet visit pronto. It could be any number of things, all of which would benefit from treatment.

9. MommaOfMuse

Well whatever it was he seems to be fine as of last night as I heard a loud crash from the kitchen only to find Sir Patches happily knocking cans of food on the floor so Sophia could open them. Sophia's nickname is "The Paw" as she is a complete master at the "Snatch and Grab" she is also highly adept at opening doors, drawers and cat food cans. Got the AC fixed yesterday as well and as soon as the house cooled down the vomitting stopped so here's hoping he was just too hot. Somedays I swear that Sophia and Patches are like living with Mungo Jerry and Rumpleteaser from Cats....lol. However, to be on the safe side I will be keeping an eye on him, should the vomiting start again he will be going to the vet pronto. Just hate to take him if it is nothing as it is such a fight, he is one of the reasons I started giving my own vacs.

Mel & Muse (GA)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.