Worried sick

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by pamelamh, Jan 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pamelamh

pamelamh New Member

Hello! Our little boy cat, Jack, 10, was diagnosed as diabetic about two months ago.
    He's had mostly good days, but some bad...like today.
    He ate this morning at 630, got his shot at 7, but then got sick at 930; not all of it, but mostly liquid. I went to work so hubby watched him.
    He did eat more, but then got sick again. We skipped his evening shot after given baby food he got sick again. (4 times today)...
    Hubby feared hypoglycemia; so he gave him a silver-dollar sized dose of maple syrup.
    Right now I'm just watching and waiting. If he's like this in the morning, it's off to the vet for sure!
    Very worried...is this normal for anyone else? He got sick for two days back at New Years. confused_cat nailbite_smile

2. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

First, how long after eating is he sick? He could be eating too quick and it comes back up.but I worry about low blood sugar too.

Are you home testing? That will give you a really good idea of what's going on.

Also What kind of insulin? And how much

Tell us more and we will see how we can help

Wendy

3. pamelamh

pamelamh New Member

More info:
    He got sick the first time about 2 hours after his shot, which is 2x daily lantus 1.5 units (tiny amount). he does eat too fast too sometimes and pukes it right back; but I don't think that was the case. I didn't get many details from hubby, he just wrote down the time and when he was fed. (eye roll).

we were going to home test, but the kit was incomplete (GRRR) and has to go back.

he's ok right now I think...he got sick about 1/2 hour after the baby food I gave him at about 9:30pm

4. pamelamh

pamelamh New Member

It's my bedtime now; and he's calm and kept the syrup down....sleeping right now.

I've changed his water and am gonna offer a small can of food; maybe 1/2 a can?

Cross your fingers!

5. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

How is your glucometer incomplete?

6. pamelamh

pamelamh New Member

It said that it came with test strips....but there's weren't any in there. :-x

7. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Oh. Yes, I would give her as much food as she wants. How many hours has it been since her shot?
    Leave some extra food out for her, just in case. It's always better to be safe.

8. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Sorry, him.

9. pamelamh

pamelamh New Member

OK, just woke up...he's eaten 1/2 of what I gave him, and had some illness (all liquid)....and not much at that. I'm not gonna risk a shot this morning either. his tummy needs to calm down 1st.

10. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hmmm...I might go to the vet. He could get dehydrated and if he is throwing up liquid...well a vet visit couldn't hurt. Are you testing for ketones? If he doesn't eat, or is getting sick, there are lots of complications like DKA or hepatic lipidosis. Since this has happened before, it might be best to have a vet visit just to see what's up. Just my opinion! Hope he feels better!

11. terri1962

terri1962 Well-Known Member

He could have ketones as Rachel said or could be having a pancreatitis attack, anyhow I would get him to the vet as soon as possible.

Terri

12. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

See my signature link "Secondary Monitoring Tools" for some for dehydration assessments you can make, as well as other assessments which can help your vet diagnose him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.