Worried Tigger isn't drinking enough.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by vbc2000, Sep 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vbc2000

vbc2000 Member

Hi all,
    My Tigger is doing well thank God, but I am concerned he isn't drinking enough which could put him at risk for DKA.

He is eating two cans of low carb Fancy Feast per day, and I've tried adding water to it to get more in him but he doesn't like the watery consistency and will not eat a lot of it. We have had some appetite struggles so I don't want to go backward by turning him off food...which is another problem that would worry me for DKA also.

He has never had DKA, is eating well, but I never see him drink and only notice him going to the bathroom say once per day (it's a bit hard to tell with having 3 babies, but I kind of know his tell-tale signs of peeing). So I believe he is not drinking that much. Am I worrying for nothing? Is there some other way besides syringe to get more water in him since he doesn't tolerate water in the food?

Also, one of his favorite foods is 12% carb FF. Is that horrible? He gets that one when his PS is on the lower side. Besides that one, they are all below 10%.
    Thanks for any input.

P.S. Ketostix are on thier way to me.

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Ketostix are a good idea.

As a cat becomes more regulated, their thirst decreases. That said, have you been testing for dehydration? You tent the scruff on the back of the neck, then let it drop. The skin should fall back into place almost immediately. If it stays tented for more then a few seconds, that is a sign of dehydration. You can also check the gums. They should be moist, and not dry or sticky.

3. vbc2000

vbc2000 Member

Thank you for the tips. I have not done that, but I will tonight.

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I have been a little freaked out myself by the lack of drinking going on here. I cannot say that I have actually seen either of my two cats drink from their water bowls since I changed them to wet food.

5. vbc2000

vbc2000 Member

It's hard to adjust to after the excess of drinking before regulation and diagnosis. I'm by nature a worrier so I didn't know if I was just worrying for nothing.

6. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I totally understand and have been wondering the same thing about myself. :)

vbc2000 likes this.
  7. vbc2000

vbc2000 Member

I had the same reaction to his decreased appetite and panicked...$1K later, come to find out nothing was wrong with him and that it's normal. OUCH!

8. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I haven't seen Squallie drink in almost 1 1/2 years! I do add water to his food, and I'm sure he must drink some on his own, but I never see him doing it anymore. Before his FD was under control he'd drink huge amounts, almost constantly.

vbc2000 likes this.
  9. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Maybe a fountain would entice him to drink more. We added extra water around here so it was on each floor.

vbc2000 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.