worried

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by srk4cats, May 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. srk4cats

srk4cats Well-Known Member

Something is wrong this morning. No howling for food and I had to hold Chloe's food in front of her face. She didn't seem very hungry. I tested her first thing and she was at 304. After she ate a little, I gave her 1 unit. Now I got home late last night, so I fed her, but didn't give any insulin. What's going on? Should I stay home from work this morning? Is it because I changed from FF back to Friskies? I will open a can of FF and see if she gets excited.

2. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Any change yet? I honestly don't know, not enough experience. I can see why she's 304 but that's not super high. My usual tricks are warm up the food, 20 seconds in the microwave, crumble treats in the food, all the stuff you've already thought about. Keep posting.

3. Supurrkitten

Supurrkitten Member

it looks like the number is not bad compared to the others on the SS. If fs is furshot/ ns is no shot, then from the 5/16 to 5/17 there was a cycle with no insulin that was preceeded with a 0.5 shot. If prozinc is like lantus it can effect the later numbers. Do you do TR or SLGS? I was wondering because of the changes in units. Maybe a SLGS woudl work better. There is a great link on the main page about that routine. My cat can be picky too about food. I have to set in in front of him a few times. It looks like there are a lot of NSs. Do you think changing the schedule would help? I have a wacky schedule and understand totally, but everyone says the closer to the scheduled time the better. My cat is on lantus so I am not familiar with prozinc. If kitty is not eating try rubbing a bit on it's chin to get it to lick it. Tuna juice is also good. I am very new to this, so my advice is just that, newbie advice. Go with your gut about how you feel about how kitty is doing. My experience is in nursing and I will tell you the first thing we learn is listen to parents and family because hey know the patient.

Good luck. I hope your Chloe perks up.

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  4. Noah & me (GA)

@Supurrkitten
    This is how people get smarter, ask stupid questions.
    What is SS, TR, SLGS NS
    I've only used ever Caninsulin on 2 cats in 5 years. Please just reply later so we don't clog this thread up. "Well known member" doesn't mean anything. Thanks

5. srk4cats

I know that NS is no shot, and SS is spreadsheet. TR and SLGS- I haven't a clue. She says SLGS is on the main page, so I will look for it.

6. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Please test for ketones ASAP, especially if Chloe is still not eating.

7. Squeakycats

Squeakycats Member

TR=the "tight regulation" protocol described on the main site. SLGS=the "start low, go slow" one.

Supurrkitten likes this.
  8. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

I think those protocols only apply to Lantus not ProZinc.

9. Squeakycats

Squeakycats Member

Yes, I bet that's the case--so they may not even be relevant for @srk3cats at all. It's nice to know what the abbreviations mean, but they may not be an appropriate guide for decision-making!

How is Chloe doing now? Do you have any concerns that she might be hypoglycemic, or is it more just that it's unusual for her not to want to eat? Is there anything else unusual about her behavior?

When you hold the food in front of her, does she just look bored, or does she approach it and maybe sniff it, but then pull back? Or approach it and then start licking her lips? Those are signs of nausea; if she's nauseated, she may be hungry but unwilling to eat (understandably). There are medications that help some cats (for mine, Cerenia helped); if it does seem like she might be nauseated and you're interested in trying to get medication for it, you might want to call your vet now (unless you have a vet that's open over the weekend).

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  10. Tracey&Jones (GA)

With those higher numbers you would think she would be hungry. Has she eaten any of the FF?

11. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Chloe is on ProZinc so TR doesn't apply the way it does with Lantus.

Supurrkitten likes this.
  12. Nan & Amber (GA)

Going to re-up the suggestion to test for ketones, esp. if she still seems to be feeling unwell. Recipe for ketones is: not eating + not enough insulin + infection or other systemic stressor. The skipped shot last night, high numbers, and lack of appetite this morning are all setting off warning bells. One missed meal isn't necessarily cause for panic (maybe the new food last night just disagreed with her), but any time a diabetic cat is inappetant you want to be extra-vigilant.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  13. srk4cats

I don't know how to test for ketones. I never catch her peeing. The 2 things that worried me were: 1. she wasn't yowling for food, and 2. her eyes were very dilated. I will test her again now.

14. srk4cats

n
    nope

15. Nan & Amber (GA)

You can try placing some crumpled-up plastic wrap in her favorite corners of the litterbox-- all you need to catch is just a drop or two.

How is she acting otherwise today? Any lethargy? Vomiting? Is she drinking water?

Might want to give your vet a call, if she's still not eating.

16. Squeakycats

Squeakycats Member

Does she do the thing where if you put out a brand new batch of litter, she just has to go pee on it? I'm able to just stick a ladle under my cat, but if you can't get her to pee on cue, saran wrap is a great strategy.

17. srk4cats

183 and she seems to have her appetite back. Whew!

18. Nan & Amber (GA)

Yay! So, probably just a bit of tummy upset from the change in food?

19. srk4cats

Yes, she's been drinking water and is eating with gusto. Thank you. I feel better now, too, after eating some ice cream. So I'll be heading off to work.

Supurrkitten and Squeakycats like this.
  20. Nan & Amber (GA)

Great!

Before you head out, could you edit the thread title to remove the 911, now that she's doing well?

21. srk4cats

No, I don't think it was the food. When we woke up, her eyes were so dilated, I could barely see the blue. Also, she had been cuddling with me instead of screaming for her breakfast. Just had a feeling. But she's back to normal now. Is it possible she went hypo during the night?

Supurrkitten likes this.
  22. srk4cats

done

Nan & Amber (GA) likes this.
  23. Nan & Amber (GA)

Possible, yes, but it doesn't fit with no shot the previous night or the 304 reading you got when she was acting oddly. And she's spent a lot of time in higher numbers than 304, so I wouldn't think that she was feeling yucky because of that, either. Not really sure what to make of this, honestly-- the only other thing I can think of is maybe she got into something she shouldn't have? Like, chewing on a slightly-toxic-to-cats houseplant kind of thing.

I'm just glad she's feeling better now!

24. Noah & me (GA)

Can you test for ketones with the special litter the vet gives you for other urine tests with a sterile litter box? Noah would go nuts if I put him in a room and closed the door and he's one of those super-private-don't-watch cats. Makes everything hard for himself.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  25. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Squallie is one of those oh-so-very-private-in-the-litter-box cats, too. You should see the whole stalking-and-hiding routine I go through to get a ketone test from him, it's hilarious, like something out of the old Benny Hill show! And the inflated sense of great success I feel when all is said and done is just ridiculous, lol! :joyful:

26. Noah & me (GA)

Thank you!!! That's one of those things some people don't believe is possible. Quick off topic/Things you see when you're young/I'll NEVER do that. I'm 18 and we visit some young couple in a tiny rental, so tiny the bathroom is right next to the living room and kitchen. You know what's next right? OMG You're not closing the door? We can hear you! If you came here you'd think Noah was abused, it's that bad.

27. Supurrkitten

Supurrkitten Member

Thank you everyone for educating me. I was not aware that SLGS / TR was lantus specific. I am a lantus user and did not know. Thank you for clarifying.
    I am really glad Chloe is doing better. I think I will keep my advice to lantus users next time tho because I would hate to mess with someones furbaby. I am a newb. I will probably send just good vibes.

srk4cats likes this.
  28. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Yep and that is the reason I know - I did the same. So I now look at the signature to ensure I know the insulin being used.

29. srk4cats

Sending good vibes is the most helpful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.