Worried

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kim36, Jul 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kim36

Kim36 New Member

Hello

Can anyone please advise, my 5 year old boy jack was diagnosed with diabetes only a few days ago ' big shock '
    He has been on lantus 2units twice a day 12 hours apart.

All has been going well with him improving but I am seeing dry skin and now a red dot/blood where the injection sites were.
    Dry area started a couple of days ago and look a little flaky/ scabby.

Also just moments ago he went for a wee and his wee began spraying a little in different directions, his tail was shaking to begin with.

These side effects are worrying me and really upsetting....

I want to stop treatment if I had it my way as I am totally against pharmaceuticals.
    I know the bad they cause then good :(

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Could he be dehydrated? Pull the scruff and see how quick it snaps back. Are the gums wet or tacky?

Is your cat prone to uti?

My cat had very flaky skin until she became regulated.

Is he showing back leg weakness?

Maybe a little fish oil in her food would help.
    What kind of food are you feeding?

Insulin is not really a medicine... It's a hormone. It's just your kitty isn't producing enough of it.

2 units is a high starting dose. Cats are recommended to start at 1 unit, and if testing proves it is not enough raise it by no more than half a unit at a time.

Are you home testing? Do you plan to (I hope)? We can help you with that if you need. It's the best way to keep your cat safe.

3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome. Dry skin is common. My Max had it even after he was well regulated. I agree he might have a UTI. How much does he weigh? If not a large cat it's a high starting dose. I'd be con corned that he might drop too low if you aren't testing at home. Is this your first post?

4. Kim36

Kim36 New Member

Thank you for your sudden responses

Jack is 5 years old 4.2kg.
    He was 6kg and over a space of a few months lost sudden weight but I thought that was down to putting him on a diet but then came the constant hunger then excessive thirst.

He was only diagnosed with diabetes and put on lantus insulin days ago.
    My vet has advise me that I don't home test just now until I take back jack to see him on Tuesday.

Then I believe the vets is checking him all over then wil go through the home testing and diet.
    He also will be doing a scan to check his prancras etc.

But jack today is back to seeming well other then stil being hungry and drinking loads.

My concerns are the ' injections sites ' and now what just happened when I saw him wee.

Do you think it's ok to carry on as normal with his shots until he returns to the vets on Tuesday?

When I saw him wee it was just final for me to believe that these side effects are from lantus insulin?

5. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

It could be that, with the increase water intake, there is increase water output - meaning he just had to wee badly. Gizmo had dandruff. Fish oil and SEB (slippery elm bark) will help along with regulation.

6. Kim36

Kim36 New Member

Ps i was also told not to change anything with his food until i return to see my vet on Tuesday.

He is on royal canin sensitive rice and chicken.
    A few biscuits.
    Boiled breasts chicken at times.

I have no idea about diabetes other then what what I have read over the pass few days.

7. Kim36

Kim36 New Member

Thank you Lizzie

Are they human suppliments, the fish oil etc?
    Can you advice what I need to get for him?

Sorry I just have no clue about any of this.

8. LizzieInTexas

Do you know what the BG (blood glucose) was at the diagnosis?

9. LizzieInTexas

I can share what I have been giving Gizmo.

This is the fish oil. It is easy to dispense (pump bottle and dose is 1 pump)

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N0SM3OF/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

SEB
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UE25XQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is how to make the slury

http://www.felinecrf.org/holistic_treatments.htm#slippery_elm_bark

Just add to food. Unless very picky Jack should eat the food with it (slurry) mixed in with no issues.

MJW likes this.
  10. Kim36

Kim36 New Member

Sorry not to sure so uploaded Jack's part results for you

Attached Files:

11. Kim36

Kim36 New Member

Thank you Lizzie I will order tomorrow

12. JanetNJ

It could have been just a strong stream of pee. The liver values are up. Hmmm

13. Marvin's Mom - Nat

Marvin's Mom - Nat Well-Known Member

I don't think the peeing issue is related to Lantus, it would be more related to diabetes itself. That is how I ended up finding out my Marvin had diabetes with peeing issues, the huge amounts, outside of the litter box, and how he was peeing (weak legs). Even though they are drinking constantly when not regulated, they are actually dehydrated, so important that they are able to drink as much as needed. Getting him regulated is the important part.

As for the red marks around the injection point, I would speak with your vet. He may just have sensitive skin. Just make sure not to shoot in the same spot, too often. I can't tell with mine, too much fur. I heard that on really high doses Lantus can sting, and some people switch to Levemir to avoid the sting.

I think you will get a lot of people recommend you start home testing right away, because right now you are shooting blind, meaning that you don't know if it is safe to give you baby a shot or not. Unfortunately a lot of vets do that, let's put it this way if it was a child or adult human you would never shoot without knowing what the BG is. Recommend that you look into that sooner than later. People here will be happy to guide you through or just provide support.

I know, there is a lot to take in, a lot of suggestions, just take it one day at a time, you are doing your best. This place has been my saving grace with my Marvin. It was tough at first, took me a while to catch on to some things, I go there and my baby is doing so much better. :bighug:

14. JanetNJ

That food is like 36% carb. You're feeding him the equivalent of feeding a diabetic human cake. Dude.... You need to get him on low carb food and lower the dose to 1. (Canned pate food... No gravy). Lowering the carbs in food will have a tremendous impact on his bg level.... So it's key that you would want to lower the dose of you get him on a diabetic appropriate diet.

Tanya and Ducia and tiffmaxee like this.
  15. tiffmaxee

The fish oil might help but not sure why you are suggesting SEB. Is he eating well ? That's way too fast to lose weight for a cat. They can get fatty liver so fast. Is he at a good weightbnow or too skinny? It's very important that he eat well.

Diabetics will pee a lot when not regulated. When Max started that I was thinking kidney disease because he was a senior.

16. Marvin's Mom - Nat

Marvin's Mom - Nat Well-Known Member

When you change his diet to Low Carb, please make sure you home test. Alot of times just the change in diet will make the cats BG dive down, and you would need to monitor, to make sure his BG doesn't go too low the first few days.

17. Heather&Dagron

Heather&Dagron Member

Cats will sometimes spray and shake their tails while doing it. Dagron has been neutered since 5 months old and started spraying at about 4 years (well he did the tail shaking, but nothing came out). He still does it. It could be that is what you saw when your boy was peeing.

StephG likes this.
  18. LizzieInTexas

The natural remedy most commonly used for CKD cats is slippery elm bark powder (ulmus rubra or ulmus fulva). Slippery elm bark is a herbal remedy used for most kinds of digestive or intestinal problems - it can be used for nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea or constipation. As a side effect it can also improve coat dryness and dandruff.

19. LizzieInTexas

Not until she is set up to home test.

20. tiffmaxee

I know SEB is is used for CKD and intestinal issues. Never heard of its use for dandruff. I guess I'd still try the oil and if it doesn't work, maybe SEB. I don't like to make more than one change at a time. Even natural products don't always work and can have adverse reactions. iIf you add both you will never know which is helping.

21. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

That is the first thing that popped into my head. My civvie does it but nothing comes out because he's fixed.

22. Kim36

Kim36 New Member

Thank you all for your comments and advice.

I am stil in disbelief and stil a bit confused by the whole diabetes diagnosis.

I'm constantly researching since finding out that is how I have came across this site for one.

I am just doing for now what my vet has strongly advise.
    Yes I doubt him and yes I do not want to injection my cat with crap ' it's heart breaking every time '

My vet said not to change everything at once and I thought that was the best thing also.

The day of Jack's results he was kept in and monitored on his first doze of lantus.

Jack goes back tomorrow where diet monitoring will be explained.

Now I'm more worried as your comments make me feel my vet is wrong in Jack's dosage?

Jack was 6kg and by his old picture looks very fat.
    Now he looks a good weight ' last weight check was 4.2kg
    Weight check to follow up tomorrow with.

Jack had bad diarrhoea that is why he was put on the sensitive /chicken.
    Diarrhoea all cleared up

Can anyone recommend good food for diabetes?
    Obviously the vets will give me there diabetes food for now.
    Price of the food doesn't matter so please fire away if know of good brands

23. Kim36

Kim36 New Member

So upset for him just don't know which way I'm turning/ wrong or right.

Home testing sounds horrible to start.
    Pricking him constantly
    Wouldn't even do it for myself but know I have to for jack.

24. Kim36

Kim36 New Member

I'm in the UK

25. JanetNJ

They have very few nerve endings in the edges
    Of their ears. Most of the time my cat doesn't even seem to feel it. Watch the video link in my signature showing how I test my cat CC. She is literally purring the whole time.

26. Kim36

Kim36 New Member

Ok thank you Janet

27. Kim36

Kim36 New Member

Just watched your video ☺
    Still feel nervous to begin but I know I don't have a choice but to.

About to order monitor

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  28. JanetNJ

I understand the hesitation.... I waited six weeks before I started because I was nervous. It wasn't until my vet wanted me to double the dose from 1 to 2 units that I decided didn't want the worry of hypoglycemic events killing my cat. I was more scared of finding my cat having a seizure than I was of doing a tiny poke to the ear. The first week was a challenge.... It often took several frustrating tries.... After that it got much easier.

29. Chubba (GA)

Chubba (GA) Well-Known Member

I like you was terrified to give my cat an injection twice a day. Soon that became second nature and I decided that I needed to start home testing. Once again I doubted myself and said there is no way Gizmo will let me poke his ear. But I have been pleasantly surprised. He now actually tells me it is time for his shots and comes when called for his sugar checks (and purrs the entire time). I'm sure treats are the big motivator, but it helps me to know that he doesn't seem to mind the new routines caused by his diagnosis. We are actually closer now then ever before (my silver lining in this whole journey).

Kim36, Ollie (GA) and Kris & Teasel like this.
  30. tiffmaxee

I wasn't going to home test. My very first post stated that. Then Max had a nadir of 60 at my vet's office and he took him off insulin thinking maybe remission. Big mistake. Three weeks later back on and I became a test-a-holic. It really doesn't hurt them and treats make them accept testing.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    Kim36 and Kris & Teasel like this.
  31. LizzieInTexas

Very good advice.

32. Kim36

Kim36 New Member

Thank you all for your replies.

Monitor ordered and wil be with me within 2 days.
    Vets tomorrow 9am a bit concerned what the vet wil tell me so no doubt I wil be back for more advise.
    Thanks again for all your reassurances also.

JanetNJ likes this.
  33. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Kim36 likes this.
  34. Kim36

Kim36 New Member

Thank you very much yong.

35. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

With the elevated ALT 155 (RR 12-134) and high-ish bilirubin of 19 (RR0-15) I would ask your vet about liver support meds or supplements. When my cat was in the same situation she was given Denamarin - I don't know it's UK equivalent, sorry..

If not then ask your vet if Milk Thistle , a herbal supplement would be advisable. In the US Milk Thistle can be from a herbal store or in it's Rx form - Silymarin (Click here for general info on Silymarin).

Hopefully someone from the UK used it and can help locating it for you.

36. Kim36

Kim36 New Member

Without sounding stupid I have no clue to ALT RR0-15 etc etc or to diabetes for that matter.
    It's only been days of finding out my cat has it.

Jack returned to my vets today.
    All seems to be going ok I guess but again my vet has advise not to rush into everything at once.
    And I somewhat agree as this is all a bit much to take in at once, i'm so stressed.

I am just getting to grips with his insulin shots.
    Next monitoring, vet gave me a monitoring chart.
    Again it all is confusing and worrying.

Any advice please bare with me in giving as I am really trying to understand it all and not get more confuse and make the wrong steps.

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  37. tiffmaxee

Max had a slightly elevated ALT in his last few years. My internist said unless more the twice the high if other liver values are normal it's not a concern. I noticed with Max the rise often occurred when his pancreatitis acted up. You gave to look at the whole picture rather than treating each abnormal number. Please consult with your vet before adding any supplements. All can have side effects.

Kim36 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.