Would a bad tooth cause higher blood sugar readings?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by LoveMySmokey, Jul 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoveMySmokey

LoveMySmokey Member

I think Smokey has a bad tooth but I'm not really sure. I noticed that one of his teeth has a black area on it near the gum line and his breath smells pretty bad. I'm guessing it is a bad tooth. I called the vet to make an appointment to have a dental done but they won't do it without looking first. I told the girl I was concerned that a bad tooth would cause higher blood sugar readings but she didn't seem to think it would? I don't think that sounds right.

Smokey hates going to the vet so I wanted to try and get everything done in one trip but I guess that won't be possible. He has to go in for a blood sugar curve anyway since they won't give more insulin without it. :roll:

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Yes, an infection like caused by badd teeth/gums can cause elevated BGs.
    Have you talked to your vet about you doing the cure at home since very frequently BGs taken at the vets are elevate due to stress. It is standard practice ro have a vet visit prior to a dental. That way the vet can see if the cat's condition supports a dental. Usually blood is is take to help just the acceptability of a dental.

3. LoveMySmokey

LoveMySmokey Member

I have asked about doing the curve at home but they still refused to give insulin without seeing him first. They don't seem to think that being at the vet would cause his level to go up. :roll: You would think that since the last time he went there it shot up to over 400 when he was about 60 or so at home would tell them something. The lady vet is pretty nice it just seems like we have a totally different view on how to treat him. I know we should probably find another vet but unfortunately I have to consider the cost and all the other vets would probably cost twice as much as this vet. I just try to stretch out his visits as much as possible until he needs more insulin.

4. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

If your vet is forcing you to do in office curves, I would definitely switch vets to one that is supportive of home-testing. It's possible the other vet might be more expensive for a visit, but how much is your current vet charging you for that in office curve that you don't need? Even if you're paying $60 for a visit at a more expensive vet instead of $30, you'll be saving hundreds of dollars in useless testing. Most vets current with feline diabetes do not require more than an initial visit and blood test to confirm the diagnosis. Since your cat needs a dental anyway, this can be done with the pre-dental bloodwork.

Bandit has never had a curve done at the vet. It's just a waste of money because you can't dose based off those numbers because of vet stress. If you try to adjust insulin with inflated in-office numbers usually the cat ends up getting overdosed which can be very dangerous. A 60 to 400 jump because of stress is a HUGE difference--there's no possible way you can dose based of that.

You can call around and get dental estimates since it can be expensive. http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Dental_procedure Here's a good checklist of things the vet should be doing for the dental. You don't want to get a dental from a vet, no matter how cheap, that is not following these procedures.

5. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Let me get this straight.... a vet is refusing to give you insulin rx unless you take the animal in for an expensive curve?
    Tell the vet you cannot afford the cost of the curve, will the curve be free?

I would find another vet because blackmailing a client does not sit right with me.

I have never ever had to take either of my cats into the vet for a curve. If you are home testing, there is absolutely no need for a curve at the vet which will produce skewed numbers because of stress, and the fructosamine test is not any use except at the start, before you start insulin to see how the numbers have been over the last little while.

If the cat is diabetic, how can the vet justify withholding insulin to treat?

ETA: I forgot to add a comment on the tooth!
    OK my Oliver has a blemish on one of his teeth and I asked the vet about it, the one who does all the dentals. She said it's like stain but not a cavity, and it could be cleaned when he has a dental. He is not having trouble eating at all.
    My Shadoe also had no eating problems but she had never had a dental, so I took her for her first one. She had one extraction and her dose dropped from 14u to 2.5u. So yes, dental and other health issues can raise BG for many cats.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.