Would a different food send a kitty into a high blood sugar episode?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by olivercoyne, May 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. olivercoyne

olivercoyne New Member

I have a 13 (almost 14) year old kitty who became diabetic about 7 weeks ago due to being on steroids after back surgery and I am hopeful for remission.

We have been struggling to get his glucose levels stable. He is currently on 2 units 2X a day, and I have been experimenting with various foods from Mud Bay.
    I found one that seemed to be the one that worked, then I screwed up and gave him Purina DM. Woke up this morning to clear vomit everything, he was very lathergic, wobbly when walking, etc....

I gave him his normal dose of insulin along with his normal food, and watched him like a hawk. Two hours later we checked his glucose levels and he was at 312.

I have been watching him all day, and he is slowly improving, but obviously not 100%.
    My question is can a food throw in into either high or low blood sugar levels?
    As I look back, other “bad” days he has had, has also been a change of food.

Any inputs are appreciated. My previous diabetic kitty was pre-internet, so information wasn’t what it is now.

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

I'm not an expert, or experienced, but it was recommended to me to provide wet food 7% or less carbohydrates. There is a sticky at the top of this forum with a chart of canned foods. The prescription foods are high in carbs. We use Fancy Feast and Friskies canned per the chart.

3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Be sure to read the stickies, and info messages at the top of forums, the Feline Health and FAQ s. there is a wealth of information on this board, and many other experienced and supportive people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.