Would a tiny dab of Lidocaine be contraindicated on ear when testing?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Shoeskitty-GA, Apr 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

Just curious as Shoes seems a little sensitive on one ear in particular. Has anyone ever tried this?

2. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Any sort of ointment/gel/cream can effect the glucose readings and cause improper results. One of my kitties is more sensitive with one ear so I try to do most tests on the ear that he doesn't mind.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
    Shoeskitty-GA likes this.
  3. Shoeskitty-GA

Thanks. That's what I needed to know.

4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Some members use Neosporin ointment on their kitties' ears. I'm not sure whether they apply it before or after the poke. I apply a very thin film of Vaseline to Saoirse's ears before testing. If any of the ointment gets onto the test strip it gives an error (Alphatrak 2 meter).

Mogs

Shoeskitty-GA likes this.
  5. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

Many of us use Neosporin on our kitties' ears. Best to not put it on right before the test, but I know some use the Neosporin ointment (not cream) on the ear to help the blood bead up better sometimes.

Lidocaine I think is a different type of pain relief, the type found in sore muscle meds correct? There have been case of cats becoming very ill after ingesting those types of products off of people so I would be hesitant to use them on a cat itself.

Critter Mom and Shoeskitty-GA like this.
  6. Shoeskitty-GA

It's a numbing agent. It comes in different strengths otc and is the ingredient in Baby OraGel, I think.

7. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think the meds that numb are the problem. This is one article that talks about the use of local anesthetics on cats.
    Pain Medication Poisonous to Cats

8. Shoeskitty-GA

Thanks so much!

9. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

That's an interesting article. With respect to the Lidnocaine it is a bit vague, it says can cause problems with arythmia ect in large amounts, but doesn't specify if toxicity is a problem at large or even small amounts.

I use lidnocaine, my vet recommended it, it's cream so I apply a very small amount to the underside of the ear so that I don't have a problem with blood beading. I would add that I use it sporadically, not regularly, I save it for days when he has gone for a dive and have had to test like a mad thing to keep him safe. We can't get the neosporin with pain relief in europe. I have probably used it 5 times in the last 5 months.

I would check and see what your vet thinks.

10. Shoeskitty-GA

Very interesting! I will do that.

11. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

I think I will double check with my vet too about it's use.:)

Critter Mom likes this.
  12. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.