Would anyone mind looking at my SS/condo?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by kim and simon, Feb 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kim and simon

kim and simon Member

Hello everyone,
    I'm a relatively new Lantus user (Dx 1/5/12) and my kitty is doing pretty well. In my last conversation with my vet, he suggested we might need to switch to Levemir because Simon has a very early nadir and doesn't get enough duration. Is this accurate? I understood both Lantus and Levemir to be long acting, but I've not found any info comparing them.
    Here is my post in Lantus, and I'm hoping that those familiar with the differences might comment there.
    I appreciate any help!

2. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

3. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

Hi, Kim. Simon is so handsome! I love those Siamese-ish kitties. Heck, I love ALL kitties!

Anyway, I agree with Vicky. He is getting a good response from lantus. We say here all the time, "Every Cat is Different" (ECID), and this applies to nadir time too. Some cats nadir mid cycle while others nadir earlier or later or even have their shot time be their low point. He may actually have enough duration that the earlier nadir is an overlap of the last shot and the new shot - or it could be the pancreas waking back up, as Vicky mentioned.

I'm not seeing any wild swings that usually happen with too much insulin, so he is still near his right dose. It looked like your s.25u dose didn't quite do the trick, so I would stay at .25u for now and see if things settle out over the next week. Right now he isn't dropping too low, but watch for below 50s and be ready for the next decrease. Practice getting .1u drops from a used syringe and water until you are confident you can dose .2u and .1u. Hopefully, Simon is headed OTJ and you will need those doses as he steps down and his pancreas takes over.

Good job!

4. kim and simon

kim and simon Member

Thanks, guys. We will stay the course! I think small dose measurements are the hardest part.

5. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

Yes, they are. Just practice, practice, practice. You can do it. I had Beau on .05u for the last stretch before he went OTJ. It was painstaking, but so worth it!

6. kim and simon

kim and simon Member

I did a little practice today. It's challenging! Just the activity I need at the children's nap/rest time:) the tips should help me standardize my dosing a little better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.