Would Appreciate Some Thoughts

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by G & I, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G & I

G & I Member

As you can see by the spreadsheet, we appear to be going in reverse. Does not appear to be the normal bounce I am used to seeing and other than the increase to 3.50F recently (which I dropped again) nothing has changed in regards to diet or environment. She is constipated. My notes within the spreadsheet pretty much say it all. We have been to the vet for blood tests include fpl which was normal. While liver levels were slightly elevated (kind of understandable), other lab work was normal with no apparent infections going on. Her appetite is still very good, but the skin irritation has returned with a vengeance. In regards to the constipation, I have tried pumpkin, and a laxative provided by the vet (which I later researched and found it contained corn syrup and stopped but probably contributed to the numbers in some fashion). I picked up some Vaseline today which I will try. She is not vomiting or showing any other signs of distress, just the bowel movement area. I have been performing ketone tests as well which are all negative. I am hesitant to increase dosage until the constipation is resolved but understand may have to. A lot going on here at the moment with three additional sick cats and monitoring has been sporadic at best I know. I have also been very slowly moving her shot time to an earlier time. I am now at 10:00 am/pm JST and still trying to move downward to around 9:00 am/pm. I say very slowly as I have only been able to guarantee a few minutes at a time. Can anyone suggest what else may be contributing to these higher numbers? She was doing well, not great number wise by any means, but active, alert and interested in what was going on around her. I am noting this to a lesser degree each day.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or guidance, as always is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  2. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hmmmm...that cycle on 3/21 could have caused a bounce but doubtful it lasted this long.

For the constipation have you tried Miralax? I’ve heard that can be effective. Also egg yolk powder is supposed to help.

Constipation can certainly cause high BG so that could be your culprit.

G & I and Djamila like this.
  3. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

Possibly the constipation is raising numbers?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fleet-Pedia-Lax-Liquid-Glycerin-Suppositories-6-Each/671863718

If you want to solve the constipation in 20 minutes use this (see link above)

PLEASE NOTE: it’s a baby sized GLYCERIN not saline ! Pure glycerin only! Very small - have one person hold kitty still on the floor another person yourself administer it rectally squeeze the tiny little bulb - if there is a tiny bit left don’t worry about it just get some in there. Remove and wait. Immediately kitty will go to litter box but nothing will come out - continuously she will go back and forth , then in about 15-20 mins she will go in and stay for quite a bit and when she’s done you will most likely want to take the result outside - my kitty came out of the kitty box like a rocket running around the house with glee

This was 2 years ago, mine may need it again so I will easily do that - I suggest two sets of hands to hold kitty when administering

Vet gave it a thumbs up! Sometimes you gotta work from the other end :D

Attached Files:

G & I, Djamila and Kris & Teasel like this.
  4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Really good suggestion. :)

Magic Johnson likes this.
  5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Constipation can certainly affect BG so address that first. It could also be that you need to begin upping the dose in 0.25 u increments more frequently. Bouncy cats seem to get stuck in high numbers easily and then glucose toxicity takes hold.

We're here to help. Glad to see you back. :)

G & I and Djamila like this.
  6. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Hi Greg! We've missed you around here! I'm so sorry to hear you have three sick kitties!!! Sending healing vines to all :bighug:

G & I likes this.
  7. G & I

G & I Member

Thanks - I’ll see if I can find something comparable over here. Obviously a great idea and I appreciate it. No need for the pic it’s in the link you graciously provided.

8. G & I

G & I Member

Thank you - I tried to find Miralax or a comparable product locally but was not successful today. Will be looking at another store in the morning.

9. G & I

G & I Member

Thank you - I was going to start the increase cycles with the 3.5F but got the high inter cycle number and backed off. Constipation seemed to be an issue and I did not want to try anything else until I can resolve. I’m hoping to try the suggestions provided and get her back to where she was and move forward with increasing dosage.

Magic Johnson and Kris & Teasel like this.
  10. G & I

G & I Member

@Magic Johnson - I think I found something similar but it contains other things(not saline) and it is 10gms which I believe is 10ml. I think I can give less than half to match the 4ml item you are showing. Thoughts? Does yours have anything at all in it besides glycerin? Not getting much help locally with vet saying it will put too much stress on her and I can’t read the directions so I don’t know how long to hold it in. My plan was to dump more than half prior to inserting so I can’t overdo it. Thanks in advance...

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  11. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

@Greg and Goma & Friends , I will get up and check in 5 mins and I have a box...I will check it out and get back with you right away

Kris & Teasel and G & I like this.
  12. G & I

G & I Member

Please don’t rush- not sure if I’ll do this tonight or not. I did buy the item. She had a small movement with a lot of hair but it is apparent she is not comfortable so I am certain there’s a lot more in there. Numbers were outrageously high all day which I’ve not seen in a while. Planning to up the dose tomorrow and want to do what I can.

13. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

Ok here goes: mine says Glycerin 2.8 g as the ACTIVE INGREDIENT. And calls it a Hyperosmotic laxative

THEN I the Inactive ingredient: edetate disodium, purified water

I believe that are the preservatives - that it’s

NOW I think mine is about 1/3 the size of what you have lemme try and get a photo of one of these devices next to something easily measure with the eye next...

G & I likes this.
  14. G & I

G & I Member

I think yours are 4ml. But they appear to be the same so to prevent an inappropriate amount going in I will dump mine down to about 4ml and go from there . I’m hoping there is no harm in doing this if it turns out nothing there. But with the amount she has been eating what is being eliminated is no where near what I saw in the past. And her sides are now bulging.

15. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

exactly! that is how Maji looked! like saddlebags...we only found out when the tech did and xray and he said he'd never seen so much <well you know> inside a cat before...

Attached Files:

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  16. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

another pic for reference. - Maji is circling me like a vulture....I better go test ;)

this is a teaspoon

Attached Files:

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  17. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

I think that if it is NOT saline...you are o.k. :)
    it was such a relief for her too.

I might add that from then on we added extra water to her food. Being dehydrated causes cats stools to compact and dry out like a rock! poor thing...if she's passed anything that felt as hard as a dry hard rock...there's more in there...

wishing you the best lemme know how it turns out seriously I wish to help :)

G & I likes this.
  18. G & I

G & I Member

This is what has me confused. I have always added a lot of water to her food. So you did this after the vet visit? How long did this go on before you performed the action? I have not seen anything like you describe other than the saddle bag sides. And small amount of diarrhea which I understand is also a sign of constipation. And very small amount of other and she actually is laying in the litter box at times. Think I should try this sooner than later. Thanks for the pictures and info.

19. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

Yes...it was either I pay to have them do an enema...and that would be so traumatic for Maji, that I felt in her own home and what only takes seconds to do...really getting it in there is the hardest part the rest is her bowels finally having something to get rid of it. Before the vet and before this was done...she would go to the litter box and strain and nothing OR a rock (basically) her sides stuck out and her tummy around there felt hard. She did not have diarrhea that I know of...that being said hubby cleans out the boxes...so it's possible I missed that or it looked like a pee ball or something.

Really it is quick to do and FOR US what probably the easiest procedure I think pricking the ears takes longer.

It won't come out in seconds or a minute...it will need to "work" she will think she has to go right away...it's merely the beginning...don't fret if it's not exactly 20 minutes. the first stuff will be hard and dry and then regular stuff, then after all that...probably a little looser stuff after that.

Like I said it will be A LOT, and it will stink up your house, best to clean the litter box after LOL. You should notice her feeling better afterwards within minutes...

NOW don't freak out if she doesn't go for a whole day afterwards as everything comes out and she will be squeaky clean and it takes a good 24 hours or longer for new food to eventually get to the end there :)

G & I and Kris & Teasel like this.
  20. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

one more thing...you ask "how long did this go on before I performed the action"? unsure other than after the vet visit we tried for 4 days with miralax and all kinds of stuff...a lot went in...very little came out

Basically I think she had been constipated for a lot of her life...and I didn't know it as she had been on dry food ;(

21. G & I

G & I Member

I understand and thank you for helping us out.

22. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

I’m not sure of the size of the insertion part I would judge how small mine was ALSO you don’t have to go in very far just barely enough :)

Like an inch

23. G & I

G & I Member

Got it...I think she is reading all this, as this morning (just now) she had a hard piece than a good amount of softer. Perhaps she knows what's coming. This is more than the past couple of days. Her appetite was better as well. I'll give it a bit more time after breakfast in about 1/2 hour.

Djamila, Rachel and Magic Johnson like this.
  24. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

Hey perhaps !!! Cats have a 6th sense!!! LOL

Oh yea if u don’t need it... no need it’s kinda a judgement thing - she might get it out on her own!!!

It’s a good thing to have on hand just in case...

Also yea if they’re all stopped up...appetite goes way down...so two very good ‘signs ‘

25. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hopefully she's got it all out on her own! But at least you know what to do now if she hasn't...

G & I and Magic Johnson like this.
  26. G & I

G & I Member

Okay I did a twofer - The up the butt and up the insulin dose to a ~3.75. She's in the litter box as we speak for the first go around...We shall hopefully see. Decided to go this route since this is probably the only day I will be able to monitor continuously. Thanks again for all the thoughts and advice.

27. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I know this is weird, but please do tell us how it goes! I'd love to hear she had a nice big poop and got it all out of her system (oh the things we do for our kitties!).

28. G & I

G & I Member

I'll be sure to let you know. 30 minutes now - she is in the litter box and complaining - I think and hope something will happen soon.

Don't consider it weird at all - Think about all the other stuff we do - digging into poop to look for whatever....just to name one.

Kris & Teasel and Magic Johnson like this.
  29. G & I

G & I Member

@Magic Johnson - Okay - I have hit the one hour mark with nothing - Perhaps the full 10ml dosage here is as mild or milder than the 4ml dose of the brand back there. Is it safe to give more at this time or should I continue to wait? She is vocalizing so I am sure now there is some discomfort going on.

30. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

Ok dunno but I found a good article that goes into this subject especially the glycerine route

http://www.felineconstipation.org/acutetreatment.html

G & I likes this.
  31. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

did anything come out at all ?

32. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

Found this on this site here - with the glycerine a little ways down

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/constipation-is-it-okay-to-use-this.70025/

33. G & I

G & I Member

Great information - I will be printing and keeping on file for future reference. Really appreciate the time and effort you have given us. I gave the rest of the vial (bulb) just now as the directions say to give an hour between doses. Since I only gave half, I gave the other half now.

34. G & I

G & I Member

A teensy tiny droplet.

35. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

I found this

[​IMG]
    tuckers mom
    Girly said:
    Awww, Sam. Hope he is feeling better. How do you give a cat an enema at home and what suppositories do you use?
    Thank you, Sam is feeling better right now and I'm hoping he never gets impacted again but Megacolon is difficult, it can be neuro in origin or just old age related.

My little man is the easiest cat in the world, I was able to take him outside on the grass and use a Pedia-Lax enema. He walked around the yard after a few minutes and relieved himself of the enema quite a bit. After he was done I took him in and washed him up in the sink. The suppositories were also pedia lax brand for infants. Very tiny and easy to insert when your kitty is not feeling well and wants to feel better. You can't use adult or Fleet type enimas on kitties. I suppose most people can't take their cat outdoors, if it were a different cat of mine I'd probably do this in the bathroom with a litter box next to me.

This was done with my vet's knowledge, we thought since she gave him an enema one more might do the trick, but unfortunately it didn't.

36. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

If that doesn’t work I would go to the vet... I know you said she went poop a bit already but I’m wondering is she has something difficult to come out? This won’t hurt and may loosen it up and help - I really thought it would come out a little quicker- is she acting ok? Other than frequent trips to litter box

G & I likes this.
  37. G & I

G & I Member

She is acting okay - A minute after the second process she passed a pretty hard piece so maybe she needed additional loosening up. If I don't see anything in the next 30 minutes I may try to get her to the vet.

38. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

Obviously something is in there that needs to come out - she passing things so no blockage... im hoping and praying this second one will loosen it up - sounds pretty big I’m wondering if the other poop she had earlier bypassed it?

Dunno but I’m on pins and needles with ya!

Obviously something there needs to come out one way or another

39. G & I

G & I Member

She seems fine in all other ways - She just went to her food bowl and ate some more. I'll let you know...but yeah, somethings there...and it's got to come out.

40. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

Well... if she eating... that’s a good sign but it sounds like whatever is in there needs to come out-

I would not do more and if she is acting as good as she is I would give her a chance BUT that being said there may be something too big for her in there and I do believe this can’t hurt, can help, and many vets recommend BUT if it doesn’t work you may have to go to the vet and have it manually removed.

But her actions eating and stuff is a good sign

Poor thing... but the losening up with this stuff gives her a chance to pass this

Again if she can’t poop this out it still needs to come out - and I would go to the vet for advanced help

K

G & I likes this.
  41. G & I

G & I Member

I'll give it a day or so. Perhaps we have at least loosened something up and the rest will follow given time. Since she is still eating, drinking, urinating, a tiny bit of poop, I'll keep an eye on her (as always). Thanks again for all the info and time you have spent on this. Greatly appreciated.

Djamila and Magic Johnson like this.
  42. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

I’m hanging in there with ya on this...

I can say I am relieved she is eating drinking - not sure of your time zone but perhaps please consider giving your vet a call to discuss...

Please let me know :) I will be thinking of you guys all the time !!!

G & I likes this.
  43. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

44. Djamila

Greg is in Japan, so it's quite the time difference. If I'm counting correctly, it's morning there now. He's a very skilled caretaker with his kitties, so I'm sure he'll use good judgement about watching and waiting vs. vet visit.

Greg - sending more healing vines to little Goma (and your other fur babies too!). I hope things start moving for her soon. How are your other cats doing?

45. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

Thank you Djamila- I am just concerned and want the kitty to feel better - thank you so much...

Djamila likes this.
  46. Djamila

You've done a great job helping and sharing your experience. It can be nerve wracking to wait from across the internet, so deep breaths :)I just wanted you to be reassured that Goma is in good hands. :bighug:

It might just take her a little longer to ....ummm....work things out. ;)

I'm curious too, to hear how this goes as it might be something I have to try one of these days! :eek:

47. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

You have no idea how much better this makes me feel!!! BLESS YOU DJAMILA! :)

Kris & Teasel and Djamila like this.
  48. G & I

G & I Member

@Magic Johnson has done an outstanding job helping me through this and I greatly appreciate the willingness to share and support.

I think Goma just may need some time to work through this. I’m going at both ends now with Vaseline on the paws to lick and we’ve gone the other route as well. Pumpkin was given time as well mixed in the food.

I fully recognize the time difference is frustrating but I promise to keep everyone up dated when something happens.

Thank goodness for you all...

Kris & Teasel and Magic Johnson like this.
  49. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

Thank you so much!!!

50. G & I

G & I Member

Thank you for the healing vines and kind words.

Update on Goma- @Magic Johnson , @Djamila , @Kris & Teasel ,@Rachel

With time running out in regards to vet office hours plus being closed tomorrow, I took stock of her overall condition and because she was increasingly refusing to eat (totally not Goma) and the persistent scratching, I got her there 45 minutes prior to closing. Sine she recently had all blood work done, an X-ray was performed- and I pointed out the obvious signs of ear problems with the scratching.
    Well the hard pieces we were able to loosen were apparently all the stool there was with a small amount still evident but of no concern to the vet. What she does/did have was a large amount of gas. And she has a pretty bad ear infection. She was given sub q fluids that contained gas reducing med and vitamins, two week antibiotic shot, injection for pain remover . And some meds for home. Back at home for about 2 hours and she seems more calm and not vocalizing. Unfortunately I let her out of the carrier too soon and she immediately went after forbidden food belonging to the civvies(that’s the Goma I know). Guess the stuff at the vet worked fast.

Thank you all for the continued support and guidance. Hopefully this will be resolved with in the next day or so when the meds really kick in.

Kris & Teasel and Djamila like this.
  51. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

Oh good - THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Im so glad you took her in and got the meds! It’s so much easier if they have an antibiotic shot too, gas can be really painful!

I will be following and would love to hear reports on Goma! I’ll bet once the meds have done their job you’ll watch her numbers come down!!!

Sending good thoughts your way and to Goma!!!!

G & I likes this.
  52. Djamila

Oh Goma! No contraband, sweet kitty! That isn't for you! I hope she at least enjoyed her forbidden snack :p

Glad to hear the gas resolved quickly. That makes sense why she was vocalizing now since it can be quite painful (along with the ear). Hope she rests well tonight and heals quickly from that ear infection.

53. G & I

G & I Member

She is still trying to get comfortable again. At least the contraband was wet canned food but probably a ton of carbs (in comparison to her normal diet). With the increased dose I’ll be checking on her through much of the night.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.