would like to buy human meter?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by lovey11, Oct 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lovey11

lovey11 Well-Known Member

I currently use an Alpha Trak Meter. Now that I am testing more often it is getting quite expensive due to the costs of the strips about $1 each. I wanted a meter that doesn't need much blood.

I was looking at the consumer reports article that someone attached and the meters some of the members use.

Does anyone use relion micro? Bayer breeze 2? or Accu check? I How much are strips and do you need much blood?

Anyone really happy with their meter?
    What do I need to know about the numbers besides that they run about 30 points higher than alpha track.

2. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Many people here use the Walmart relion confirm or micro and are happy with them and they are cheap. The prime is cheap too but it needs more blood. Click the Walmart links above to see pricing. I think it's more than half the price of the AT.

I can't get the Walmart ones in Canada so use the bayer contour USB and like it but it's more expensive again... Same price as the alphatrak here!!

3. lovey11

Your up late too. What time is it in Canada? Thank you very much. I will check the website.

4. The Relion Confirm and Micro are about $15. The strips are about $20 for 50 strips. They used to sell them in 100 strip boxes but not sure if they still do. I think the drop size is .03? (it's .3 micro liter) It's the smallest sample size I've seen, I believe. I think the AT is the same?

5. lovey11

Hi, Carl. How are you?

Yes, the alpha trak has a .3 ml blood sample size. I noticed that the micro and confirm has a .3ml sample size.

6. I'm doing great, Catherine, thanks for asking! How you are too.

7. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I think you have that backwards. Human meters run about 30 points lower than the Alpha Trak.

8. lovey11

Good morning Dyana. yes, your right. How is J.D. this morning? Last night my PMPS of 150 turned into a AMPS of 415? Interesting.

9. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

He's pretty good, thanks. Maybe an active cycle coming up and I have to do some shopping today :cool:

I used to use the OneTouch UltraSmart and loved it, but the strips for that meter are pretty expensive, too. Close to $1 each if you buy them at a pharmacy, so I had to buy them from EBay and that's always a challenge.
    Because of the expense I finally ordered the Arkray Vital from the ADW link above (FDMB gets a percentage when you use the links) and their test strips are about 18 cents each. I believe the ReliOn and Arkray are made by the same company. One of the ReliOn meters (I think it's the Prime) has test strips for 18 cents each too. I think the less expensive meters give more errors, but wasting a test strip now and then hurts a lot less.

10. lovey11

J.D. has a lower AMPS today. you raised his dose, right? Good luck getting everything you need. I pray for a nice healthy safe cycle.

thanks for the info. on the meters. I think I am going to buy one this weekend. Enjoy your day off.

11. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I have use the Relion meters for years. For several years I used the Relion Ultima. When the Confirm came out, I switched to it. I have been very pleased with both meters. Relion's customer service is also very good. I have had to replace a couple of Ultimas because the cat would knock it off of the counter. Both times, Relion sent a replacement meter the next day. Of course with any human meter, if you need to contact their customer service, don't tell them you use it on a cat. :mrgreen:

The strips for the Confirm meter run about $39 for a box of 100.

12. lovey11

Hi Lisa, thank you for telling me about your experience with the Relion products. I appreciate the input!

I may go to Walmart this weekend or order online. Thanks for the tip about not mentioning using it on a cat! ;-)

13. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I'm still fairly new at this, but I use the Relion Confirm and love it. We had some rough times getting enough blood, but I found that the Confirm needs such a small sample that even my cat's ear bleeds enough. Hopefully my newbie point of view will give you some help. :D

14. lovey11

Hi Rachel, I am new to ear testing. I sometimes don't get enough and have to prick more than Lovey, my cat, likes.

I appreciate your input and experience with the meter. I was looking for a meter that uses a small sample.

When was your cat diagnosed? Her numbers are staying nice and low without insulin. That's great. The dose was too high?

15. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

My baby was diagnosed end of August. I assume the insulin must have been too much. I'm hoping to figure out what we need to do to get her regulated. Hope the ear testing gets better! I spent time looking at my cat's ear with a light bendind it. That helped me see where testing would be easiest and I rarely have problems getting enough blood. Good luck!

16. Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout

Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout Well-Known Member

How about a free meter?

We had 2 bags full of meters at work that were being tossed out. There's nothing wrong with them except that they have no strips left. We get the meters free from the reps so our closet has been restocked and I grabbed the bags that were headed for the trash. I know there are Accucheck Nanos, Contours and a couple of the One Touch mini's.

For the Contours, I also have some strips that just expired at the end of November. They are unopened in the box and should be just fine to use. (bottles of 50 strips)

If you want one of the meters and some strips, I would be happy to send it to you just for the cost of the shipping. I grabbed the meters to donate anyway.

17. cjleo

cjleo Member

I use the AccuCheck Nano for myself and my five (soon to be six) diabetic cats. Love this meter! So small and sits so well in my hand when testing cats.

Strips are more expensive than Relion strips, but I really like the Nano.

Claudia

18. lovey11

That is so thoughtful of you Deanie. I think I may purchase the relion micro since it takes a small blood sample and has inexpensive strips. I was asking the members which they like. I have the alpha trak which works fine but the strips are $1 each.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.