Would love food advice from pate' lovers

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Marciegee, Jan 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marciegee

Marciegee Member

Hello!

Since this month's diagnosis, I have been feeding Moby DM just out of desperation to ensure I'm giving him something low carb. Prior to diagnosis, Moby enjoyed poultry-based pate' canned food in the evenings, and dry food Wellness in the mornings. He really doesn't miss the dry food, but he's kinda "MEH" on the DM. He has also eaten Blue Buffalo Basics (he went through a bout of sensitive tummy) and got sick of that pretty fast but has enjoyed Evo previously.

He seems to like a specific flavor/brand for a few months and then we usually have to rotate to something else.

He is a pate' only kitty (texture is just everything to him it seems!), so I have two questions:

1. What low carb poultry-based pates do your kitties prefer?
    2. What high carb pates' would be good for my hypo kit? I have been reading a lot for the gravy types, but he doesn't like gravy (WUT?!!) or flaked meat.

I found the food list and have been perusing through and writing down some options but just thought I'd throw it out there to the group if they have any suggestions of tasty things.

P.S. The Halo Liv-a-Littles are already in my Amazon cart. Excited for him to try those!

2. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Well since I have 15 cats 3 of which are diabetic (2 in remission) the standard fare here is Friskies Poultry Platter, Turkey and Giblets, Liver and Chicken, and Chicken and Tuna dinner for the low carb stuff, for medium carbs Friskies makes a couple flavors of their Special Treasures that are pates but the one mine love is Turkey, Chicken and Cheese. High carb I can't answer as mine will all take my legs off for gravy.

Mel and The Fur Gang

kallima_butterfly likes this.
  3. Steph

Steph Member

Halo Chicken, Merrick Duck or Beef Pates

4. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

1. low carb choices we use.
    Fancy Feast Turkey & Giblet (Wink's number 1, hands down favorite), Fancy Feast Chicken, Fancy Feast Liver and Chicken, Friskies Special Diet Beef and Chicken, Friskeis Special Diet Turkey & Giblet.

2. high carb choices. Can't help you out there. We don't have any high carb cat foods in the house.
    Ice cream? That's high in carbs and can help raise your kitty's BG (blood glucose) levels.

5. Marciegee

Marciegee Member

Thank you all for the suggestions! Going to run out this weekend and get some options!

6. Erinia

Erinia Member

My cats like the Grreat Choice (Petsmart generic and wicked cheap) Poultry Platter and Chicken Dinners.

For higher carb Pates...what about Soulistic from Petco? You can get cans in a gel form and it has shreds of real chicken in it. I don't know if your kitty would hate the texture or not. Since a lot of their stuff has pumpkin in it, my cats don't really mind.

7. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Mikey is allergic to red meats so I took Dr. Lisa's list off catinfo.org and separated out the protein types into tabs for red meat, seafood, and poultry only to help me spot the poultry foods easier. After over two years playing the diet game, I've narrowed down the favorites in my house: Friskies Special Diet Turkey and Giblets (this is the food that they love the most and is the least expensive to feed regularly), Weruva Chicken Frick 'A Zee, and Tiki Cat Chicken and Egg. All three are different in texture and contain different proteins (turkey, chicken, and egg) in case they get sick of one of them.

For high carb, I keep a couple of cans of the Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers Chicken Feast on hand for emergencies because they're small enough and inexpensive enough that I won't feel bad tossing out the leftovers once it's no longer needed to boost numbers. I actually haven't had to use any since October when he thew me a 39 and I couldn't hypo-watch him as closely as I would have liked. Otherwise, Mikey is so carb sensitive, I can usually get away with using his regular food to bring up low numbers.

Stacym20 likes this.
  8. jane and stewey

jane and stewey Member

After researching various nutritional information (DCIN has many educational links), I came to understand wet food and pate especially was to best food for my diabetic cat. It took a little patience and time switching from dry food. She is still receiving insulin twice daily but overall health is great. I use Friskies and Fancy feast which she has come to love. Sheba caused her sugars to soar. Pate digests in a way of proving more stable blood sugars. The sliced or grilled seems to cause her sugars to fluxuate entirely too much. I feed her 5 times daily, the 2 larger portion sizes corralating with insulin delivery times. Good luck from Jane and Stewey

9. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

How's Moby doing on his eating? Did you find a few different foods he likes better than the DM?

10. mirnta

mirnta Member

My cat loves all the pates! Turkey n giblets..all the seafood stuff, tho I try not to give too much seafood..senior diets are good.

11. Marciegee

Marciegee Member

And are these all pate varieties? I saw them in a local pet food store here and remembered you mentioning the Weruva and the Tiki Cat, but couldn't remember the types! ARGH! D:

He is eating a bit better. We tried a Fancy Feast classics variety that he seems to like OK, the DM still gets mild interest and the Merrick was an epic fail! hah! I'll still keep trying. He is digging the Liv-A-Little HALO treats a bit more and more each day, so we're weaning him away of his treasured "Party Mix" treats to those. :)

12. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

No, the Tiki Cat is more like shredded canned chicken and the Weruva is more gelatinous shredded chicken. I use them as "toppers" or mix them in with their pate. They're not as big of fans when there's no pate in the mix.

Marciegee likes this.
  13. Marciegee

Marciegee Member

Ohmygosh, that is a great idea. I'll grab some this week after work!!!

14. monty_dweezil (GA)

monty_dweezil (GA) Member

BAH!!! I just looked again at the Australian Fancy Feast site and no, still cereal. lol. Chicken and giblet pate...cereal and cereal by-products. Chicken and liver...cereal and cereal by-products. SIGH SIGH SIGH.

I still want to know what was in the cod, sole & shrimp and tuna & whitemeat (which do NOT list cereals) that caused Dweezil to be symptomatic again.

15. MommaOfMuse

Did a little web surfing it looks like several online sites do ship to Australia ...A couple brands to look at would be Whiskas, as it looks like several of their trays are low carb even if not exactly pate style there are some that are shredded in just meat juices. And I can't remember which brand I'm thinking it might be Ziwipeaks has a Kangaroo canned kitty food that a member awhile back was feeding her FD cat.

Mel and The Fur Gang

16. kallima_butterfly

kallima_butterfly Member

My funny cat will eat Friskies Mariners Catch one day then turn up his nose, then eat Friskies chicken then turn up his noise.....such I fussy animal. I end up with 4 cans of Friskies and fancy fest constantly open! And then there's my civie Mama who will only eat the gravy ones so I have to keep him away from that....and since Oyster gets wet in the morning they all want wet (4 cats, 2 dogs). I feel like a catering service lol

Marciegee likes this.
  17. MommaOfMuse

LOL try pleasing 15! Yep you read that right 15, 12 civies and 3 sugars I have to rotate flavors constantly. I also have a gravy loving civie so I trick him into thinking he is getting gravy by mixing hot water with the jelly like substance in that is left in the can when I empty it, and pour that over his food and mush it up. He hasn't caught on in 4 years now that he really isn't getting gravy. Everyone here eats exactly what the sugars do, just plain Friskies pate

Mel and The Fur Gang

18. kallima_butterfly

kallima_butterfly Member

Ohh the things we do for our fur babies....Mel have you picky about the pate or just any Friskies Pate? And do you have thoughts about the new Indoor (laugh at this) Friskies

19. MommaOfMuse

I pretty much do a rotation of 5-6 flavors plus 1 fishy flavor every week, the standards are Poultry Platter, Liver & Chicken, Turkey & Giblets, then depending on what my local Wal-mart has in stock either Supreme Supper, Country Style Dinner, Or Chicken & Tuna...then the fishy one is a rotation of Mariner's Catch, Classic Seafood dinner, Ocean Whitefish & Tuna, or Salmon Dinner. I use to also serve Sea Captain's Choice until about a year ago when I got a bad batch and all 15 came down with food poisoning off it. Now not a single one of them will touch it with a 10-ft pole. I avoid the Indoor Friskies as it contains both wheat and corn which makes it too high in carbs for my sugars ( I have 2 in remission and 1 insulin dependent).

Mel and The Fur Gang

20. monty_dweezil (GA)

monty_dweezil (GA) Member

Thanks Momma! :) Do you know which companies ship to Australia? (I want the Young Again Zero Carb dry food and the Purina DM wet food mostly).

21. kallima_butterfly

kallima_butterfly Member

Thanks...kind of figured there was a reason I shouldn't touch them!

22. Rachyl Tipton

Rachyl Tipton New Member

Chicken and tuna is the best for cat diet.

23. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Actually @Rachyl Tipton, you need to be careful about how much fish you feed due to the heavy metals which concentrate in the bigger, older, fish. We suggest limiting fish to 1-2 times per week.
    We refer folks to Cat Info for vet-written nutritional information for our feline obligate carnivores.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
    mirnta likes this.
  24. mirnta

mirnta Member

That's what I want to do too @monty_dweezil...lemme know if you have any luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.