Would you jab at 10.6 (190)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Pria & Splodge, Nov 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pria & Splodge

Pria & Splodge Member

Ive just done Splodges PMPS and its 10.6. I really dont know whether to give him any insulin. He has been on 2.5 units of Caninsulin for the last week. Obviously I wouldnt give him that dose at this BGL, but wasnt sure if I should maybe give him 0.5?

Any opinions would be great!

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Can you wait 30 minutes and test again?

3. Pria & Splodge

Pria & Splodge Member

Hey Sue

I will give it another 10mins and test again!

4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sounds good. Then you can be sure it is heading up, and it may be over 200. Are you thinking a reduced dose? Did you get any numbers mid cycle?

5. Pria & Splodge

Pria & Splodge Member

Ok just re did it and its 12.1. Im tempted to give a low dose. Just not sure how much to give!

I tested at +2 and +5 and the results were 18.3 and 6.4

I tend to test anytime I get the chance to nip home. We have a livestock farm, so Im there a lot of the time.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... y=CLT1ypoP

6. Sue and Oliver (GA)

What kind of insulin?

7. Pria & Splodge

Pria & Splodge Member

Caninsulin

8. Sue and Oliver (GA)

It is kind of scary to start at 3 units and then work your way down. I know he was on insulin before, but I think I would do one unit - if you are going to be around and can test at those low spots in his cycle.. Then you can see what happens and increase after a few cycles, if needed. You could also be super conservative and do .5

Edited. I would do .5 You just don't know because he is new back on insulin and it may all be his teeth...

9. Pria & Splodge

Pria & Splodge Member

It was a very high dose to start with, but I stupidly allowed the vet to bully me. Probably because I was shaken a bit by the need for insulin again. I am regaining my confidence again now, hence the reason I started to reduce the dose!

Will give 0.5 for tonight I think and see what happens with the next test!

10. Pria & Splodge

Pria & Splodge Member

I was wondering that. He's now off AB's and maybe now the actual infection is gone. That is the reason! He will still need to have the rotten teeth out asap, but hopefully the vets will now agree.

11. Kate and Basil

Kate and Basil New Member

Hi, just a quick question about your insulin. Have you always used caninsulin? How do you find it? Apparently, Pfizer is discontinuing the production of Insuvet Lente here in the UK, so caninsulin is the only alternative.

With regard to you your question, I usually use 10 as my guideline. Below 10, I don't shoot (Basil was 8.8 tonight, so no shot- he's usually on 2 units BID). At 10, I give it an hour or so, test him again and sometimes give him 1 or 0.5, depending on how much it's gone up. I'm just worried about switching insulins now that we've all got used to this one.

Thanks,
    Kate

12. Pria & Splodge

Pria & Splodge Member

Hi Kate

Yes I have always used Caninsulin. Its the only one my vets will prescribe! I had no problems with it last time I used it and hopefully wont have this time, once the dental is done.

I always used 10 as my guideline before, but because we are still at regulating stage, I want sure, this time.

Where about in Essex are you? I lived in Thurrock for many years, but moved to Norfolk about 5 years ago.

13. Kate and Basil

Kate and Basil New Member

I'm in Langdon Hills, in Basildon, so not far from where you used to be. I'm nervous about switching as I've not heard anything good about Caninsulin.....I've got a new bottle of Insuvet Lente, so I think we'll be making the switch over the Christmas holidays when I'm home and can monitor him closely!

Let me know how your cat gets on once the dental issues clear up.

Thanks,
    Kate

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.