WOW - 48 hours between shots, twice!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Shirley and Ragnar, Apr 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shirley and Ragnar

Shirley and Ragnar Member

Just some good news for once. :smile: Ragnar has gone 48 hours between shots, the last two shots in a row! He was going 24 hrs for a while... and I've gotten to where I check him only every midnight. But now he's around 115 the first midnight and doesn't come up to 200 until the second one! (He gets a skinny 3/4u of Lantus.)

He seems to be eating better again, too. He ate an entire can (without throwing part of it away and switching flavors or giving FF) today for the first time in weeks - and when I saw that he'd finished the can, I jumped into the car and drove through snow and sleet to buy another dozen cans of Country Style, and just got back. Very rash of me (I did have two more cans), but the iffy driving was rather fun. Now I am going to try Turkey and Giblets and see if he likes that.

Friskies changes the recipes from time to time, so it's good to check the CRF Canned Food page and see how your favorite flavors are doing. Ragnar originally went OTJ on Turkey and Giblets in 2009, but his phos. was 5.9, and it turned out to be a higher phosphorus food. Now it's come down and is one of the lower ones. Changing his diet brought his phos. down - it was 4.9 at last check (early March), but he wasn't willing to eat anything then except mackerel for humans (that's why I took him for his 6-month checkup a few weeks early). Another time, though, his phos. was up and I checked his current foods on the CRF website - and sure enough, they were much higher than before! Switched him to a lower-phos. variety and it came down. It seems directly related to diet.

The best Friskies varieties now that aren't Special Diet (acidified) are Country Style, Turkey & Giblets, and Salmon Dinner, all 1.32% phosphorus. In the past, that much phos. in the food has meant his phos. was around 4.5 to 5, which the docs say is fine for him. (He has a mild renal insufficiency.) Fancy Feast pate varieties are 2% or more, so Friskies is the better choice.

Blessings!

Shirley and - I'd better go feed him!!

2. Shirley and Ragnar

Shirley and Ragnar Member

He was 193 at +23.5 tonight, so I guess he'll get his shot around +24. I gave him a tiny bit less insulin last time, though. (edited for typo)

3. Barb & Mr. Frog

Barb & Mr. Frog Member

Still an awesome display of the healing You are giving him :) Bravo to you both.

4. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

this makes my heart sing!
    All my best to you and Sweet Ragnar,
    jeanne

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Can you get some tests besides the pre-shots? If you can test him about 3-4 hours after eating, you may see how his pancreas is doing at coping with the food.

Or run a curve when you have a day and test him every 2 hours to see what is happening.

Also, spreading his food out over the day may further assist in keeping his glucose down, if you are not already doing that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.