Wow Loki at 355 PMPS

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by mimi4neeyah and Loki, Apr 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mimi4neeyah and Loki

mimi4neeyah and Loki Member

He has been going up all day :sad: 355 for his PMPS. I hope I did not make a mistake switching to Lantus from PZI?

2. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Couple of questions come to mind....I don't see any dose on the pm slots...Are you giving shots twice a day? If not that could be part of the problem. Any chance this morning was a fur shot?

If neither of the above apply then the other thing it could be is that we just haven't found the right dose for him but right now it is too soon to tell with Lantus because his shed isn't completely full yet...It takes 5 to 7 days before that shed is full and the cat and the full dose is going to the cat to lower BGs.

The thing is from how I understand it from others that have switched from PZI to either Lantus or Levemir is that you have to completely unlearn everything you learned about how PZI works to relearn how Lantus works. Granted I understand very little about PZI because I have never had a cat on it, but from my limited understanding PZI is an "In & Out" insulin in that it is injected it does its thing and by the next preshot it has pretty much worn off...where as Lantus forms little time released crystals under the skin that have to dissolve before the cat can use it to lower their BGs. Very often on Lantus we see what is affectionately called NDW New Dose Wonkyness, where for a day or two you get higher numbers as the shed is either filling for the first time or as it adjusts to a new level with either an increase or decrease. With Lantus each shot builds upon the next one.

With Lantus you are basically trying to fill a funnel that is constantly running out the bottom while you pour in the top and you are trying to find a dose that holds the level at the top of the funnel even without going to fast so that the funnel overflows (hypo) or too slow and allows the level at the top to drop.

Mel, Maxwell, Autumn & The Fur Gang

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.