WWYD...do we need to start insulin agagin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by milosmommy, Dec 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. milosmommy

milosmommy Member

Milo has been OTJ for 5 years. Last weekend he was 477 (for years he was normally 50-70 with me checking monthly). I took him to the vet after finding pimple like bumps that he was picking on. The vet wasn't exactly sure what they were but gave an antibiotic shot and flea treatment (we live in Indiana so there are no active fleas now and Milo just goes out in nice weather occasionally for 15 minutes or so-- but I know he can still get fleas). His readings since then have been 150-220. I have not seen any other symptoms of diabetes other than the higher readings which have dropped significantly since the 477. When he was full blown diabetic prior to starting insulin he'd drink a full bowl of water. His water consumption hasn't really increased as the numbers have increased this time. The vet did check his teeth and they were fine. In February 2014 Milo had a full dental cleaning and 3 teeth pulled.

He has always eaten low carb fancy feast from 'the list'. Last weekend when numbers were high I re-read the list and saw some even lower carb foods that he tried. IDK if those helped the initial going down or not. I ran out of those and started on the low carb fancy feast. I am torn as what to do now. Should we go back to the vet and talk about the next step? Continue to monitor for another week and start the super low carb food again (I caught him digging in the garbage last night after I cleaned the refrig eating turkey and noodles which was my fault). He is feeling fine other than numbers no lethargic behavior, etc.

We test on the Freestyle Lite meter....guess I am asking if you were in the boat what would you do. I found this board when we were at our worse and got great guidance so that is what I am asking now. I appreciate help. Thanks...Milo and mommy

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

The Freestyle meters don't always seem to be the most reliable. Have you tried it on yourself to see if it is in the ballpark? Aren't they the ones with the butterfly strips? I was thinking there are an issue with thoseā€¦

What insulin? 150-220 is close to our remission numbers but not there. (We think 40-120 is the range for OTJ) Is there a chance there is any kind of infection? That would raise the numbers. Yes, I think I would try the lowest carb and see if the numbers go down into the OTJ range. Maybe he has been snacking on Thanksgiving leftovers without you knowing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.