WWYD - Going away for a week

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Janice & Johnny, Jun 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Janice & Johnny

Janice & Johnny Well-Known Member

(cross-posted on Lantus board)

We're going away for a week starting July 3 (Sat). Our usual awesome cat sitter and good friend will be on vacation at the same time, but able to start watching the kitties (she'll pick them up and take them to her house) by the PM shot of July 7 (Wed). So, we've been trying to find someone for Sat PM to Wed AM. We've found a couple sitters who are both comfortable with the test/shot routine, one of whom is a vet tech. The problem is that they don't know each other and would be trading off...one AM , one PM. And with Johnny already on the microdose he's on, there isn't much room for lowering dose while we are away. They can do a test and shoot, but we won't know what's going on in between and it seems like such a narrow opportunity for error/sudden reaction from Johnny. It makes me nervous, especially since Johnny can drop pretty low at night.

I'm wondering your thoughts on having someone come to do a test/shot only in the AM. Lower to .25u and let him get some insulin when he's the highest and let that be the norm for the week. I know he's doing awesome and don't want to set him back, but the Sat-Wed watchers wouldn't have anything to go on but a pre-shot number and I'm SO nervous about him going low at night. We'll be getting an auto feeder, but with three cats, I just don't feel like I'll be able to relax. It's also $25 per visit. We'll gladly pay it, though it will be a strech for us, but I almost think the PM shot could do more harm/bounce than good. I know Lantus likes consistency, but wondering about others' thoughts.

If I should move this topic elsewhere, please let me know. I just know that here people would know Johnny's history better and understand Lantus.

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.