? WWYD- just started insulin again, but have to leave her alone for many hours

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by katiesmom, Aug 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. katiesmom

katiesmom Member

I just started Katie back on insulin after 3 years OTJ. She has only been on insulin a day and half (since Monday night). She is getting 1 unit Lantus.

My home testing attempts have mostly failed, but did manage to get my first successful test last night. It was 4 hours after a shot, and I got 2 different readings of 374 and 264...so I assume it was probably around 300.
    I really dont know how she is doing on the insulin yet, and even if I was getting more tests in, I think its really too soon to tell anything after only 3 shots.

I am normally home pretty much 24/7, but both Thursday and Friday I will be gone a good 10 hours each day.
    I am scared to leave her for so long this soon after starting insulin. The depot will be kicking about those days, and I just dont know how she is going to react to the insulin. I cant guarantee I will even get a successful test in before leaving the house, and I basically have to shoot and leave.

Should I decrease her insulin on these 2 days to 1/2 unit, just to be on the safe side? I hate to mess around with her dosage, but I am so scared of a hypo.
    Thoughts?

2. Misterbeesmom

Misterbeesmom Well-Known Member

Thats a tough one. I really had to think about that. This is precariously close to dosing advice, which none of us here want to do. I'm not even close to being a dosing expert.

But you're asking wwyd, so:

With the knowledge that too little insulin is better than too much, if i were in your shoes, for my own peace of mind i would probably decrease the dose. That being said, i'm a cautious person naturally and this may not be the best approach, and i do not want to influence you negatively.

I'm still learning, and there are others here who have way more experience than me, so hopefully others will chime in.

I know all about the fear of leaving kitty for hours, and sweating it out the whole time with worry over a hypo incident, so i do feel for you.

3. katiesmom

katiesmom Member

Thanks for your reply. I assumed there have been others in this predicament and wondered what they have done. Honestly, I am just so neurotic. Worry is my middle name.

dmc and Misterbeesmom like this.
  4. Misterbeesmom

Misterbeesmom Well-Known Member

Its scary business, this. I dont blame you for worrying.

5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Hi. Sorry Katie has left the Falls. Please post on the lantus forum as there will be more eyes on your condo. It will take time for the depot to build up. It's a good idea to start a spreadsheet again ASAP. Do you have one from the past by any chance?

6. dmc

dmc New Member

I think if she eats a good meal and you have to be gone it is better to stick to the schedule. But it is important that they eat to fill up their stomach. I hate to leave too, but we do have lives to lead.....

7. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

You might want to leave some food out for her in case her glucose goes down. Some people here freeze cat food hocky pucks when they are going to be gone for the day.

8. dmc

dmc New Member

9. dmc

dmc New Member

Update: Ozzy, 14 years old, diagnosed with diabetes August 9. His numbers were high...vet wants to go slow and steady ( eat, then 2 units prozinc.....12 hours later, eat, then prozinc, 2 units). He has been a little more active loving to sit on the patio. I have to sit with him and nudge a bit to get him to eat a full bowl (1/4th cup) of kd feline. He does not like kd feline canned, so, I mix 1/2 teaspoon of fancy feast with warm water for him to eat. The vet does not want him to eat fancy feast but if he won?t eat the kd feline canned...I have no choice. My worry now is the upcoming trips I have planned (3 days in October, 8 days in December). The vet is only option I have as he would hide from pet sitter and would be alone too much. Vet will be a safe place with vet techs in 2x a day on weekends to monitor pets. Plus office will be open 7:30 to 5:30 evry day during week. So, Ozzy may be scared but does everyone agree this is best option for his safety/health issues?? Thanks!

Marlena likes this.
  10. Marlena

Marlena Well-Known Member

Yes, I think it is the best option because Ozzy will be safe.:bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.