WWYD? Teeth Cleaning/Extractions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lauren & Eliot, Aug 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lauren & Eliot

Lauren & Eliot Member

SO! Eliot has always had rotten teeth, semi-pun intended. :D We're not entirely sure why, it may have something to do with the fact that he was on the streets for a while, or that he is a long fur and prone to hairballs/bile, but whatever it is, not including his incisors which are oddly just fine, he's had 12 of his 18 teeth either removed or they were missing. Poor thing. Aaaand the rest don't seem to be doing so hot.

We were waiting for summer for insurance to kick in again, but then I brought him in for peeing too much and boom all this; teeth sort of went by the way side. Except now I'm reading that it can really affect numbers and it may hinder him once he does get them cleaned/potentially extracted?

So, I guess my question is, clean/extractions now or wait to get him more settled?

PS. The human meter I bought online ended up being backordered, which they didn't tell me until today, the day it was supposed to arrive. :arghh: So I was gouged for yet another bundle of AT2 strips - it was $15 difference between them and the FSLite ones, and I figured my sanity trying to figure out new strips for a couple weeks just to do it AGAIN was worth the $15 - to tide me over until the Bravo meter finally arrives, mid September.

Oh, and the AT2 strips won't arrive until Friday, so I'm hoarding the remaining few I have for pre-feed tests and have realized how addicted I've become to being able to do random tests... Sigh.

2. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

If he's got issues with his teeth, the sooner they're taken care of, the better....not only can dental issues effect the blood glucose numbers, infection in the mouth can spread throughout the body and attack other organs, like the heart

It's just important that the vet that does the dental has the equipment to monitor during the procedure to keep Eliot safe

4. Lauren & Eliot

Lauren & Eliot Member

@donnalea When in rains... :facepalm:

@Chris & China That's what I thought, too, but surprising no one they're being pretty blasé about it. I know they just got new dental equipment, but am unsure other than that. I'll ask what they plan on doing to keep Eliot safe, considering his diabetes, during the procedure, but do you/does anyone know what I should be looking for in their answer?

(I don't want to go in blind again, especially after last time.)

Thank you!

5. Chris & China (GA)

6. Lauren & Eliot

Lauren & Eliot Member

@Chris & China ...I swear I forum search, I need to be doing a better job. SIGH! :D Thank you!

(Seriously, Chris, you've been amazing, thank you so much.)

7. Chris & China (GA)

After spending almost 4 years searching myself, I've just learned where to look for some of the more common things!! You wouldn't find it just searching for "dental"....at least without going through 10,000 pages of "hits"

8. billr

billr Member

FYI, the links in the referenced posting are all broken.

9. Chris & China (GA)

What a shame!!

Some of the information is HERE

10. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

11. Chris & China (GA)

We just updated the information tonight so all the links work again

12. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

What a great profile page of China White - from a thin diabetic kitty to nearly insulin free and healthy. A fine success story for all to emulate.

Yes, I would get the dental work done soon. We adopted Little Dude as a stray last year. First thing was dental - 2 upper canines and one lower molar were broken (before capture). All 3 had to be surgically extracted. Poor Little Dude. He is so happy now.

13. Georgia

Georgia New Member

I don't have insurance for my pets and was told today that getting Rocky's teeth done would probably run me about $1000. We are not rich people. He is 12 years old, doing well other than his diabetes (which is under control) and does not seem to be in any pain. I know many tests would have to be done prior to the dental procedure. I am also concerned about him being put to sleep in order to do the cleaning and/or extractions. I am having a hard time with this information.

14. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

I think @sherrib 's kitty, Skittles had a tooth problem recently. She may be able to give her thoughts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.