Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

I need some advice about changing Callie's dose. Callie's numbers have been going down from black and red to yellow, blue and greens. I worry about her going hypo at +5&+6, early in the morning. I test before feeding and shooting religiously. Sometimes I use 3-4 strips before she has a shootable number. Would she be better if I lowered her doses .25u? So far she has not had any sign of a hypo.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Since you are using a pet meter, I would reduce dose by 1/4 unit.

3. Callie & Patches

That's what I was thinking. I use syringes with 1/2 unit markings so they are easy to work with.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I agree that you should reduce the dose. I would take it down by.25-.5 She may not have shown hypo symptoms but she was in hypo numbers, and that earns her a reduction.

5. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Donna, have you ever considered putting Callie on a longer-acting insulin? My Squallie was on Vetsulin for about ten months, and he actually did fairly well on it, unlike some, but he did better when I finally switched him over to Lantus. Just a thought. :):bighug:

6. Callie & Patches

It seems to me that the Vetsulin is working too well. One of our problems is her numbers are fairly low when I PS test. I sometimes have to delay feeding and shooting because she is too low? Doesn't that mean that the insulin is lasting a long time ?

Squalliesmom likes this.
  7. Squalliesmom

Yes, you are probably getting the full 12-hour endurance from the Vetsulin, I did, too. The major difference between the intermediate and long acting insulins is that the longer acting ones have a much gentler drop. It doesn't give kitty the sharp, steep drops that Vetsulin does, so it is a little easier on them, and the numbers seem to stay a little more consistent during the cycle (surfing). It also has a higher rate of remission. Like I said, just a thought, maybe information for a future date. :)

8. Callie & Patches

I will have to do some reading about it and talk to my vet. She is very open minded. I took in a copy of the spreadsheet. She liked it so much that she wants all her diabetic cats to have one. She had me start testing from the start. Her fees are very reasonable and I know she won't take advantage of any patients.

JanetNJ and Squalliesmom like this.
  9. Squalliesmom

That's one of the most important parts of this sugar dance - a vet you can trust, who is open minded!!! You know, you can give her a link to your spreadsheet so she can check it any time you have a problem. That's what I did; my vet really appreciated it, and now if I call with a question he can just bring the ss up on his computer and see what's going on!

10. Callie & Patches

I did that. She wants all her diabetic cats to do it. She really loves the SS.

JanetNJ, Marlena and Squalliesmom like this.
  11. Squalliesmom

It really is a great tool, isn't it?! :):):)

12. Marlena

Marlena Well-Known Member

Brilliant!:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.