Xuxu, 2/27/13, on ProZinc, now blood in urine

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by DebH, Feb 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DebH

DebH Member

He just keeps throwing me obstacles. Now he's got blood in his urine. I've given him fluids put him on a linoleum floor and am hoping he'll either pee there, or I can express his bladder in a hour or so to get some urine to take into the vet. He's doing little pees all over the carpet and if he hadn't done it on the bed spread, I wouldn't have noticed the blood. The thing is on the ProZinc, he's been eating really well without the mirtazapine and I think he is gaining weight. I was taking him in Fri for another blood test and check to see how he was doing, now I'm trying to get into the vet today.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Hoping there is really not much wrong with Xuxu.

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Got some aquarium gravel, and a clean box he could use? Or, lay some plastic over the litter and mold a depression to collect the pee.

Bladder infections have a field day in a high glucose environment, so that is a high probability.

Another possibility is a bladder stone (the stone scraping the bladder cause the bleeding)

The first 2 are not mutually exclusive, because stones provide nooks and crannies for bacteria to hole up in.

Or it might by idiopathic cycstitis - they don't know why, but the bladder is irritated.

Fingers crossed.

4. DebH

DebH Member

The vet called and said put him back on Orbax and she didn't need to see him for a couple of days to see if the orbax was starting to work. She said it would work fast.

I did find two odd little bloody pieces of what looked like tissue (flesh) on the bedspread. After that is when there was blood in all his pee. By the time I went to the vet to pick up the prescription, what I thought was tissue was so dried out that it just looked like a piece of seaweed. So it wasn't a stone, but perhaps some tissue that had sloughed off after being passed one? I was in the back of the vet office 2 weeks ago when they had a cat on the surgical table that was completely blocked. Doc showed me the tissue that she took out to clear the uretha. It looked sort of like what I saw on the bed.

BJ, That's a good idea about plastic wrap on the litter box. All I could think of was to express his bladder and I couldn't get anything out.

I don't think I could have anticipated this, He appeared to be peeing just fine, especially since I still had him on sub-q fluids at night, although I'd gone from every night to every other night after he didn't fully absorb it after 12 hrs. I have to go into the office tomorrow so I hope he is ok and doesn't become blocked. There won't be anyone here for 9 hrs.

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If it were idiopathic (cause unknown) cystitis, some folks have found that giving glucosamine seems to help.

Hope the Orbax helps.

6. nckitties3

nckitties3 Well-Known Member

Poor Xuxu and mommabean! Ya'll have sure had it rough. :sad:

My old female had the same symptoms when she had stones, they all but completely closed her off. She would pass those tiny bits of bloody tissue/clots, too. Once they get him straightened out, he'll be right as rain. :thumbup

Sending lots of healing wishes to Xuxu! cat_pet_icon

7. DebH

DebH Member

Thanks for the good wishes and info. I've never had a cat with stones before. It does look as though the orbax is working quickly. He's not passed any blood and isn't using the litter box every 5 min. What a relief to have something easily solved.

8. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

It seems like the PZI may be getting you some blues and greens without crashing him (so far).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.