Xuxu, 3/16/13 650

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by DebH, Mar 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DebH

DebH Member

He was at 650 this am, so I did give .25. With my pressure, there are 28 drops in .25. They are really little drops that don't form and hang at the top, they just rapidly slide down the needle. Is that how they normally do? Whoever did the pictures to get it to stay at the top was really really good. I have ordered a syringe magnifier and magnifing clip-ons for my glasses. You will also see a / with two numbers starting today. I'm comparing the meters (AlphaTrak2/ReliOn Ultima) to see if I feel comfortable switching to the ReliOn meter. As many times as I feel I have to check Xuxu, the AlphaTrak2 strips are getting prohibitively expensive.

I think his number is higher today because I ran out of azithromycin 2 days ago. He's already sneezing and has a really thick gunk in his eyes. He's on orbax too, but while that neatly took care of his UTI, it doesn't seem to help his URI. The gunk is really strange, really thick, white, doesn't come out easily. My vet said it indicated a more systemic infection. Anyway, the zithro takes care of it, but it also is very expensive. So we are going to try Clavamox and see if that does as well for him.

So I'm going to try split dosing this evening. I'll do a nadir on him to double check how low the .25 takes him. It seems to drop him about 400 of 14U per drop. so that would be 250. If that is correct, I might try doing just 5 drops to see how much further down he goes. The PZI seems to react immediately, there is no delayed reaction.

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Are you giving him lysine? For some cats, adding about 500 mg of powdered lysine to food, or getting lysine treats helps with the URI symptoms.

Check with your vet if it would be OK to use sterile, preservative-free eye drops which will drain into the nose and possibly help loosen the mucus to get it out more readily.

That drop count is fantastic; are you using U-40 syringes or U-100? I'm sorry, I can't recall. Perhaps put in your signature if the insulin and syringe are U-100 or U-40 for readers?

3. DebH

DebH Member

I'm using U100s for PZI 100. I ran him into the vet with me to pick up some clavamox so I could weigh him. He's lost another .25 pound when I thought he was gaining. He's still eating a lot, so I guess I'm just feeling heavy stool in him. When I was chatting with the vet in another room, a new friendly tech gave him a whole bag of cat treats, corn the 2nd ingredient. So now his BG is up to 695, registering HI on the ReliOn. So the split dosing is delayed until tomorrow.

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

D*mn. You'd think clinic policy would be ask first or not to feed until you know the client!

Tomorrow's another day.

5. Grayson & Lu

Grayson & Lu Well-Known Member

My vet is guilty of the same treat-giving tactics :shock: ... and it works - Grayson ADORES her!

I used a ReliOn Ultima last year from January through about May. I got some REALLY hard to believe numbers from it - sometimes. If you should get anything that looks extremely high or low, PLEASE retest. Back in April of last year, I started doing dual testing with a ReliOn Confirm, then with another meter. On April 27th I tested 7 times with my Ultima in about 5 minutes. The results ranged from 295-455. I wasn't sure WHAT to believe! I ultimately changed to an Accu-Check Aviva, and order my strips (auto-ship) from ADW. Half the price of Walmart for the strips. Since then, I've questioned my result ONCE.

In January of this year, DCIN was doing a test to see how the ReliOn Confirm compared to the Bayer Contour. I did 3-way testing with both of theirs AND my ACA, which you can see the results in my SS below. Both read a little lower than mine on the low end, but were generally consistent. The ReliOn Confirm is manufactured by a different company than the ReliOn Ultima. And, unlike the Ultima, their strips are available on ADW for REALLY cheap! That may be worth looking into.

Hoping you see some good numbers with XuXu soon!

Lu-Ann

6. DebH

DebH Member

Thanks for that info Grayson. I'll ck on other monitors. I didn't realize that ReliON had different manufactures for different models.

7. DebH

DebH Member

Lu-Ann,
    This morning (Monday), Xuxu was at 574, and the ReliOn Ultima said HI. Is that all the higher it goes? Do you remember what HI meant when you tried it? If it doesn't go beyond 574, and assuming it would actually read lower than the AT2, say 525, then it's useless for Xuxu, given that he will go to 750 and above.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.