Xuxu 3/3/13, absorption problem again????

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by DebH, Mar 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DebH

DebH Member

I posted his new numbers again. I've had to use a new symbol, dear Xuxu, always covering new ground. I've started using a dash to indicate skipping hours. In those cases, when I've done what I thought was a near nadir reading, he's been HI, so I've gone ahead and given him the shot. I don't know if I've got an absorption problem again and he's not dropping at all, but in one case, he did drop and then went up HI faster than his normal curve. I'm not sure if I should up the dose or not, the nadir reading I got on the previous day had him down to 64.

I've opted to go ahead and give him the shot even though it throws his 12 hr curve off. in today's case, I needed to get him on an earlier time, since I have to work 3 days in the office this week. I know it's not good to go longer than 12 hrs, but what about less than 12 hrs.

BJ, I looked at the Agro links that you send. It mentions increasing lean muscle mass and gaining weight. That's definitely not the case with Xuxu, he's still skin and bones, although I think he may have gained maybe .25 pound, although my human scale probably isn't accurate for him. My gut feel is it isn't a match. I wish it was because I have enough dopamine agonist drugs that weren't effective for my RLS to choke a horse.

Someone mentioned going ahead and treating him for Cushings. I think I'm going to discuss that with my vet next week when I take him in. If his Eos is still high, I think that may be the way to go. At least if he didn't respond, it would rule out something.

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

T'was I who suggested talking with the vet about treating him as if he did have Cushings. At the vet expo, I was told that it is difficult to diagnose, that the tests for it are not very good, and that results may only rule out conditions, rather than rule them in.

Since they are saying 'Cushinoid' and there's no definitive dignostic test for it, it seemed reasonable to discuss the pros and cons of trying the Cushings treatment(s)

I know you are giving a tiny dose; is the nadir onset predictable, or does that vary?

Also, where do you inject him on the body? I did a Google search on insulin absorption and in humans, it can make a difference. In humans, scar tissue building up in the injection area may reduce absorption. Injection near an active muscle may increase absorption in humans.
    wikipedia on insulin has some info on how insulin works, and how it breaks down. Its almost like he hypermetabolizes insulin in some way.

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

see note on increased glucagon in 3rd paragraph.

It is possible to test for this in humans, so may be possible to test in cats, though maybe sent out to a specialty lab.

And, there is a very rare typr of tumor called a glucagonoma which secretes glucagon, raising glucose levels. Have they done x-rays or CT scans of the abdominal cavity?

treatment ideas near bottom of page. Only mentions dogs specifically.

4. DebH

DebH Member

The absorption and injection articles that you linked are very interesting, I learned a few things. They should be put on the sticky pages.

I don't think he's developing scar tissue from injections. I do a curve from side around hips to other side in 3 lines, I don't hit the same spot for a couple of weeks. He's going sort of odd again, HIs pm shot yesterday lasted 13 hrs and was still at 451, I waited another hour until he was 677 to inject. It appears to be lasting a long time again this time. I'm willing to inject in the 500's, but was nervous about doing @450 since I was going to be out of the house at intervals. He seems to be able to go down to 60 without symptoms, but I didn't want to risk any lower.

We did 2 ultrasounds of the abdomen, he didn't see any tumors, and he did look back at the scans a 3rd time to see if there might be something that at first glance was either borderline, or might be a very new small tumor. He said he didn't see anything at all. I'll read the link about that tumor though. I'm not sure that I can afford a CT scan for him. I've spent so much already that we had to go into savings. It's going to take us another couple of months to replace it.

I'm getting a MRI for my hip on Wed, maybe I could wear baggy pants and tie him there and get a 2 for one :twisted:

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

from the Merck Veterinary Manual:
    Discuss if these supplements would be of any harm; if not, could be helpful for Xuxu on an "as if" basis.

6. DebH

DebH Member

Wow, that would be a lot to get down him. He isn't real great about pills, although I can get the orbax down him if I immediately follow it up with his tuna flavored K supplement.

I have been giving him what is supposedly an antioxidant all along, Vetri-DMG. It's suppose to support glucose metabolism. Have you heard of it? I don't know what it is compared to the ones you listed. When i looked online, there were so many to choose from, I just sort of closed my eyes and pointed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.