Xuxu, 4/12/13, LO never a dull moment

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by DebH, Apr 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DebH

DebH Member

Xuxu has been happy for the last week. But this morning I could see that he hadn't eaten in the night. He wasn't even interested in eating his Iams treat. His BG was close to HI, so I gave him an shot, a bit higher than normal, thinking perhaps ketones were accumulating. I also gave him fluids, a bit more than normal. I thought that he might have spit out the small piece of steroid capsule when I wasn't looking. So I gave him another dose and his K supplement. When the fluids ran through his system, I checked ketones, which were still small, 15.

When I checked in 4 hrs, he was laying out so straight I was afraid he had died. But he was still awake, if lethargic. His BG was LO, below 20. I gave karo syrup and when he roused, he ate about half his Iams treat. Then he took a long drink of water. He still hasn't eaten any more. He had run through his course of Clavamox for his ear infection, and it looks fine now. He's still on orbax to try and keep any kidney or pancreatitis down. But that doesn't work for a URI or skin infection. So perhaps I should restart the Clavamox.

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I never feel qualified to offer any suggestions, Deb, but I continue to be amazed at all XuXu's complications and how well you bounce with the punches. You are both incredible!

3. DebH

DebH Member

He is incredible, I'm just along for the ride. In 25 years of breeding cats, I definitely saw some ill ones that had no will to live and others that fought every step of the way. He definitely is a fighter. Even skinny, he seems to be a strong presence, you wouldn't think of him as as a sick frail being.

4. Grayson & Lu

Grayson & Lu Well-Known Member

I second what Sue said - you really know how to roll with all the punches he throws you!

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Are you familiar with the hypo protocol? Its under feline health in the first section.

One round of Karo may not be sufficient to prevent brain damage.

6. DebH

DebH Member

Thanks, I'll look it up.

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.