Yay adequan is here..started today 3/23 first dose .23

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Phoebes (GA), Mar 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

I was given phoebe the b12 injection. Well it shot thru to the other side and on her fur and floor. Do I reshoot? Will it make her sick if she licks it? I wiped but dI'd not wash it off?? Any suggestions. Would it hurt her to reshoot?

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I would just wipe as much as you can off her. You can reshoot if yo want. B2 is water soluble so excess gets excreted so it is hard to overdose.
    I have done the same but do not think I reshot since it is not that important like insulin

Phoebes (GA) likes this.
  3. Phoebes (GA)

Thank you. :)

4. Phoebes (GA)

They did not write on bottle what dosage the vet suggested. :( and I have only insulin syringes any peeps wanna help me out on dosage plz and ty, Phoebe and I appreciate it. @Wendy&Neko @Nan & Amber

5. Phoebes (GA)

And did she weighs about 12 pounds...I am not good at math buy reading would that be about 24units?

6. Phoebes (GA)

@Squalliesmom @Bobbie And Bubba

7. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Oh Angela, I am such a math-a-phobe and so terrible in Math. What exactly was the recommended dosage? I hope someone will weigh in to help you with the dose.

Phoebes (GA) likes this.
  8. Phoebes (GA)

Didn't tell me and the place I got it from said dosage on inside package. Well there was no dosage :(

9. Phoebes (GA)

Thank you tho :)

10. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

I am not familiar with adequan at all so I wouldn't be able to help with dosage. Hope some who knows stops by.

11. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Sorry, Angela, I have never used adequan, so I have no idea. The only information I can find online says it needs to initially be administered by a vet.

12. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

I've never used it either-- if you can get some directions I can help calculate what's appropriate for Phoebe, but I can't suggest anything off the top of my head and wouldn't want to risk googling, either. Hopefully someone who has used it will stop by...

Phoebes (GA) likes this.
  13. Squalliesmom

Phoebes (GA) likes this.
  14. Phoebes (GA)

I don't want to shoot her if I can't make sure of a dosage. I will have to wait until morning. Will call vet, hopefully she will get back too me before they close. :)

15. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

The dosage for adequan is .....for example
    your cat is 10 pounds-
    you double the weight so you have 20
    she would get 0.20 on a 1ml syringe
    My vet always suggest rounding up so in your case I would use 15 pounds and double to 30 which gives you a dose of 0.30 on a 1ml syringe.
    If you are using a 3cc syringe it is a bit harder to see the exact dose but it will be 3 little lines before you see the .5

the excess will not hurt her but you will go thru it faster. Loading dose is a shot every 4 days for 8 shots then anywhere from 1x every 4 days all the way to 1x a month. You do not want to exceed a month or you will need another loading dose.
    Also many vets suggest giving in the muscle and I have given SQ for years and works great as well.
    good luck!

16. Squalliesmom

Ah ha! I knew I knew someone who had used it! I should have known it was you, Jayla, lol! :bighug::)

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  17. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

I don't know how my vet calculated the dose for Shoes, but when he started on it his weight was 9 lbs 4.5 oz. and his does is .22 ml which is 22 units on a .3 ml U100 insulin syringe.

18. jayla-n-Drevon

You can use different syringes but the 1ml is by far the easiest to measure....

19. jayla-n-Drevon

Hi Sandy, I am not a expert on the syringe variations especially with a insulin syringe or why to use a insulin syringe but just reading what you said it sounds like he rounded up to 10 (with the 2.2) I am not sure how he got to .3 on a U100 but I am sure many vets will use different measures. Maybe he was rounding up to make it easier as well....those lines are teeny!:cat:
    I will only speak to my own experience (which includes many pets who come to my shop for the shot because owners are afraid to give a shot:nailbiting:)
    How is Shoes doing??:bighug:

20. Phoebes (GA)

Ty soo much!!! I didn't want to go much longer without it, it's like she gets slower everyday!! :(:(:( so if I use the insulin syringes it would be the full needle amount. 30 units?

21. jayla-n-Drevon

Hi Hun, I have never used a insulin but her yes her dose is 0.30
    You hopefully will see changes quickly--my seniors are pretty active :cat::cat:

22. Shoeskitty-GA

Hi Jayla. I was just saying what size insulin syringe that I am using to administer the adequan to Shoes. Just that I give 22 units on that particular syringe so I did not have to buy additional syringes just to give the adequan shot.

Shoes is hanging in there, being normal bouncy Shoes. He has good days and bad days but for now, more good days than bad days. Since he is over 17 years old now, I have no doubt that this is normal for a geriatric kitty. How are the boys, Rico and Dre'?

Squalliesmom likes this.
  23. jayla-n-Drevon

The boys are really good !
    I increased the adequan from every 8-10 days to every 4-5 days and it has made a huge difference especially in Rico.
    He was squatting very slowly to pee and now he leaps in pees and leaps out to chase Dre.
    Dre will be 18 and Rico 19 this summer.
    I can't believe it I feel like I just got them
    I am weaning Rico off the budesonide so far so good !!
    Give Shoes a kiss for me :kiss:

24. Shoeskitty-GA

Glad that both are doing so great!! The adequan has not made that kind of difference for Shoes. He moves better and still can jump on the couch and off but he doesn't have that kind of energy level that Rico seems to have. That is awesome!! Shoes said thanks for the kiss! Give scritches and kisses to the boys from me too!

Squalliesmom likes this.
  25. Phoebes (GA)

Ok so vet says .23cc x2 a week for 8 doses then 1x a week for 4 weeks. We are getting cerenia everyday with zofram. Staying at 4.5 a couple more cycles, then see how she does.

26. jayla-n-Drevon

Sounds like he doesn't round up--the only thing I would add to is to an eye on her weight because if it does go up you will want to increase the dose:bighug:

Phoebes (GA) likes this.
  27. jayla-n-Drevon

Hi Sandi! Have you tried giving it more frequently?
    I was doing every 7-10 days and they were just ok--
    I spoke with some other people with seniors that were doing every 4/5 days and it made a huge difference so I tried it and they were right it made a BIG difference.:)

28. Phoebes (GA)

I can only hope she will gain weight. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.