Yay Yay We're OTJ!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by lmcfrld, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lmcfrld

lmcfrld Member

After tonight's reading of a nice green 64, Misha is officially off the juice! His vet is amazed at his quick remission, and I give all the credit to the wonderful folks here who got us off dry food completely, and into home testing and M-B12 and all the other wonderful advice and support. It has been a little over 40 days since his first insulin shot. I had no idea we'd get here so quickly, but I'm very, very thankful.

Wondering now about continued monitoring...how often should I test him? How long do I keep the ProZinc before needing to throw it out? Do I always need to have a bottle on hand in case his BG spikes? I have lots of extra syringes...should I hang on to them or donate them?

Lora and Misha

2. First off, Lora, CONGRATS!!!! You too Misha!!!

I would keep the Prozinc, just in case. It should still be good until the exp date on the box/vial. I gave most of Bob's syringes away, but kept a dozen or so just in case. Ha, I still have the original vial of PZI he got in the fridge, even though it's way past expiration. I keep it to remind myself why he needs to stay on a low carb diet forever. And 10 years from now when he crosses the bridge, I'll have the vet put it in his urn with his ashes in case he runs into a sugarcat on the other side ;-)

As far as testing goes. It's a hard habit to break. :smile: I probably tested him 2 or 3 times a week after he first went OTJ, then it became once a week, and eventually once a month or so. Long term, the issue is the strips. If I only test him once a month, the strips expire long before I use them. So if you need to buy any down the road, buy the smallest box you can.

Carl

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

One important 'test' to do regularly is checking his teeth for infection/gingivitis. You might consider starting on regular tooth brushing. See Cat Info for more info on that.

4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Hurray! What wonderful news - congratulations to both of you!

5. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Fantastic news!

Woohoo!!!
    dancing_cat :RAHCAT dancing_cat :RAHCAT dancing_cat

6. Tara & Buster

Tara & Buster Well-Known Member

dancing_cat dancing_cat What a great way to start off the new year! Way to go, Misha!! dancing_cat dancing_cat

7. jguyott06

jguyott06 New Member

Whooo Hoooo!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!! My kitty was just diagnosed last week so I am unable to offer any advice in regards to your questions but just had to celebrate with you and Misha. What an inspiration to us all Misha is :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.