Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I just received sample of this food. Would leaving it out while I'm working be enough if Smokey deciders to go low? I've been lucky that I've always been home when he has, but some day I won't be. Will it keep him safe should he go low?

2. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I don't know how much help it would be because it's supposed to be zero carb, so that's an interesting question. I guess any food will raise his BG some. I do know it takes longer for dry food to raise BG, as a rule.

3. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

It is a good question, but it is what I do - I don't see what other choice there is -- on the other hand, I assume that they start getting hungry way before they get badly hypo, so that would give the food time to work -

Squalliesmom likes this.
  4. Squalliesmom

Sounds reasonable to me!

5. Squalliesmom

@woodsywife , Just make sure before you leave that he likes it and will actually eat it! :)

granadilla likes this.
  6. Olive & Paula

I gave him a few pieces last night. He wolfed it down. The problem will be him not eating it the minute I walk out the door.

granadilla likes this.
  7. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes that is the problem Young again is very high in calories (600 per cup) so keep that in mind

8. PAMELA ALLEN

PAMELA ALLEN Member

And I'm wondering how the automatic feeders are, I can't come home during the day, and I would like to figure out a way to have him some canned food available around mid day, but don't really know how too, and I 3 other non diabetic cats!

9. granadilla

granadilla Well-Known Member

@woodsywife, maybe an automatic feeder would work so it could open a couple of hours after you leave? Would your civvie scarf it all down and leave any for Smokey?

SpecklesandMe likes this.
  10. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Also, you can freeze some of the food to be eaten as it thaws.

SpecklesandMe likes this.
  11. Olive & Paula

Never mind civvie, Smokey will scarf it down. He'll probably sit on it till it opens.

granadilla likes this.
  12. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Cute visual, Paula!!

granadilla likes this.
  13. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

I have two feeders (one for each cat), and for a while I was separating the cats to make sure they both got their full meals because I was afraid Orpheus would scarf Bandit's food because he eats so fast. Then I did a couple tests when I was home to see how they react to the feeders without being separated, and I discovered they both hover over the two feeders at meal time, and while they may rotate between the two, they both were getting a full meal. It might be worth a shot to try out!

14. Olive & Paula

Been thinking about a feeder. Usually it's only 1 day I have to worry about. Occasionally 2 days depending on hubby schedule. I started leaving the frozen puck down but he is licking it as I walk out the door. Which us when he gets his +3 feeding.

15. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

I know the feeling! Both my cats will sit and lick at the frozen food for hours like a kitty popsicle, which is why I have to use a feeder for both of them. :) I feed them at opposite ends of the kitchen for every meal, and when I set the feeders I stick them at their feeding spots, too. So that means typically Orpheus will run to his spot and eat and Bandit his, and they don't go for the same feeder. Sometimes they switch it up if Orpheus heads for the first one he sees (Bandit's), but I saw that if that happened Bandit would just run to Orpheus's feeder and it was fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.