Yeah! Gave Rascal His First Shot Today!!!!!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JUNE & RASCAL, Jan 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JUNE & RASCAL

JUNE & RASCAL Member

Gave Rascal his first shot today!! I am no longer in a panic! He is on the Prozinc. I misunderstood my Vet and thought Rascal would start on 1 unit once a day. Its 1 unit twice a day.

He was at 397 today. I am so pleased with myself, as you all told me it is no big deal and it wasn't. I need to bring him back in a week so he can be checked.

My biggest worry was we have to be away tomorrow from early in the morning until about 7 pm. I called a Vet Technician who I know and she will come spend the day at the house with him. So all is starting out well!

My Vet does not want me to test him at all this week, said not to stress him. Just watch him for any unusual behavior. (have karo) and she gave me her cell number if I need to call her.

My biggest challenge is learning how to communicate with all the experts on this site. Need to learn what the numbers mean and do i say shot or injection???? I do know what OTJ means and thats what I'm aiming for!

Thanks everyone!!!!!

2. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

Yay for Rascal! And good on you for managing it!

3. JUNE & RASCAL

JUNE & RASCAL Member

Thanks Ann!!!!!

4. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

ALRIGHT!!!! DANCIN' NANNERS!!!!

I still remember my first injection - I had to remind myself to breathe for minutes before I could do it...while KT sat there and looked at me like 'Come on silly, get done....'.

BTW - testing him this week won't stress him much compared to the ability to keep him safe especially since he's just starting. Sorry, my memory is shot today...do you have your testing equipment yet? If so, try it - it won't be any bigger of a deal than what you just accomplished!!! If he were mine, I'd want to know how the dose is working immediately rather than just shooting blindly.

Remember - insulin is a hormone that should be provided by the pancreas. You're supplying something that his body should naturally have, not giving him a dose of a chemical medicine. You're working toward the correct balance of insulin and glucose in the body....that's what the numbers mean!

BIG HUGS! BIG DANCE TOO!!!!

5. Jenn & Baxter

Jenn & Baxter Well-Known Member

Congrats on your 1st shot! I am glad you have someone to look after him while you enjoy your date with DH.
    I don't want to scare you. My my vet told me the same thing. To bring Baxter back in a week to test his BG. Within the the 1st week or so I had Baxter off of dry food. DID NOT have a BG meter & was adminstering 1 unit twice aday. Without knowing any of his BG #s. I was shoting insulin blind.
    One evening I noticed Baxter walking very weird, drunk like is the easiest to explain it. He almost fell a couple of times. I didn't know what to do. I was kind of freaking out. I could not get ahold of my vet. It's was really late at night. I read the sheet of paper the vet gave me about hypo symptoms & followed them. I was up all night with Baxter. I will never know how low his BG was because I didn't home test. If I could change one thing since Baxter DX...that would be to home test since day one. I could have killed Baxter giving him insulin & not knowing his BG before giving it.

Its more stressful on Rascal taking him to the vet then you home testing. Its hard to get accurate BG in a vet office because the cat is usually stress out from the car ride & office visit. Under stress the BG will be higher.

Enjoy your date tomorrow night!
    Keep us updated.
    Jenn & Baxter cat_pet_icon

6. Teresa and Poopy

Teresa and Poopy Well-Known Member

Woohoo! Congrats to you both for the first shot! dancing_cat

As far as not stressing him with home testing....it's a lot less stress for you to be testing him than the vet. :D

And it's easier to beg forgiveness after the fact - you could always say you didn't want to bother the vet since off duty and Rascal just seemed a bit off. :D I'd go for it, since it means caring for Rascal and his best interests. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.