Yeast infection/bg levels

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cat girl, Oct 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cat girl

Cat girl Member

Will a yeast infection cause bg levels to go up?miss kitty is getting her yeast infection back in one ear.i treated her in 7/15 when she had it in both before she was diagnosed with diabetes.im going to start putting panalog in her ears again and she is going to be so mad at me.she hates ear meds the most of all meds lol.here is pic of her mad at me behind couch after I put meds in her ears. lol

Attached Files:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  2. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

And she's not coming out!!

Squalliesmom likes this.
  3. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Anything that causes irritation, infection, inflammation, or stress has the ability to raise blood glucose. Testing her blood glucose will give you the answer.

Double check with your vet about the Panalog you're using. There are a few different manufacturers of Panalog out there now. The Panalog that was manufactured by Zoetis was a corticosteroid, but I *think* it's been discontinued. I don't know if other manufacturers have included a corticosteroids in their formulas. Since corticosteroids could raise blood glucose it's worth looking into...

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

5. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Love the pic, it shows very clearly exactly what she thought about you at that moment, lol!

Cat girl likes this.
  6. SpecklesandMe

SpecklesandMe Member

If you're sure it's a yeast infection, you might consider trying an antifungal instead of the Panalog. I have always been told that steroid creams can make yeast infections worse, and looking it up, I do see several sites saying that.
    But anyway, as others said, I think any kind of infection can potentially raise the BG.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  7. Squalliesmom

I second what SpecklesandMe said: my mother was a registered nurse all her life and she always told me NEVER to use a steroid cream on a yeast infection.

SpecklesandMe likes this.
  8. Julie and Scott

Julie and Scott New Member

Can any of you recommend an antifungal? I need an alternative to Panalog to ask the vet for. Scott gets recurrent yeast infections. Vet has me cleaning the ears regularly with Epi-Otic Advanced, but the yeast keeps coming back. Panalog makes the BG skyrocket and I don't believe ever really clears the infection up.

9. Cat girl

Cat girl Member

Panolog has antifungal ingredients and also antibacterial ingredients too.i just noticed it coming back in one ear.i haven't put the panolog in yet.maybe I should wait and find something else that will get rid of it.im always checking and cleaning her ears out.she use to have reoccurring ear infections and one day they stopped and now since her diabetes started yeast started growning.

10. Cat girl

Cat girl Member

This one does have a steroid in it too with the other things.didnt know it had steroids in it.i just knew it got rid of ear infections and yeast.got to go find something else.maybe my mom has something better in her supplies.

11. Larry and Kitties

12. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

When Whisper first came to us from the rescue, he had a really bad yeast infection in his ears. You could literally smell it in the entire room, it was gross. Our vet used "Oti pak", which was new to me. It was a very thick ointment like Vaseline, and she literally packed his ears full. It was a little greasy on the outside of his fur, but you could tell that he immediately felt better -- quit scratching his ears. And it lasts for about 2 weeks, so no having to extract poor Miss Kitty from behind the couch daily. It did a great job for Whispy. She said it might effect his hearing, but he is a cat and ignores us when we call anyway, but boy he could hear the wet food can crack open :)

This might be it: http://www.drugs.com/vet/otibiotic-ointment.html because it does say it is in a "mineral oil-based system containing a plasticized hydrocarbon gel". It does say steroids, but we had to get him feeling better, and this really seemed to knock it out quickly, and after the two weeks, completely. Good Luck!

13. Julie and Scott

Julie and Scott New Member

Thank you, I'll look into the Conofite and Otibiotic. Hope the vet will go along with it!

14. SpecklesandMe

SpecklesandMe Member

Clotrimazole is the most commonly used antifungal. Anything your vet gives you with that in it should be helpful if it's yeast.

15. Cat girl

Cat girl Member

I go shopping tomorrow and will pick up some antifungal for her at petsmart or somewhere.my mom said she has some things that are antifungal in her animal supplies.

16. Larry and Kitties

The only aniti-fungals I would use for a known problem require a prescription (in USA).

17. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

There is a VERY clear association between steroid use and yeast infection - if anyone uses a steroid inhaler, you are supposed to rinse your mouth afterwards to avoid getting thrush

SpecklesandMe and Squalliesmom like this.
  18. Squalliesmom

This is very true. I use a steriod inhaler, and have to rinse my mouth after each use.

19. Cat girl

Cat girl Member

1800pet meds has a bunch of antifungals without prescrition and my mom has ordered a bunch without one.the panolog I have is non prescrition too.we go to tractor supply and get a lot of meds for our animals too.my mom use to work at humane society so she knows a lot of tricks with meds.like we get cattle penicillin and she was told the correct amount to give a cat and dog by a vet friend she had.i have a bottle in my frig.along with Albon my mom gave me.for emergency diarrhea and infections.also have tons of antibotic capsules I can convert into a suspension for them.my mom has 20 cats,6 dogs,8 horses,couple lizards and 2 tamed blackbirds raised since she found them fallen out of nest.i have bottle fed many things to help her when she was at shelter.kittens ,baby opposum etc lol.

20. Cat girl

Cat girl Member

I have an atrovent inhaler.dont think mind has steriods in it.

21. Carol & Murphy (GA)

I am completely intrigued by 2 tamed blackbirds - can you tell me a little more about them?

22. Cat girl

Cat girl Member

One my mom has had for 8 yrs.he is calm and likes to hang out on her computer when out with her.my mom has allergies and sniffles a lot and he has picked that up.he sniffles just like her and it is so funny.the other one she has had like 6 months or so and is hyper likes to steal her stuff shiny things like paper clips etc.

23. Cat girl

Cat girl Member

We raised a baby robin a long time ago too.i loved Robbie the robin

24. Carol & Murphy (GA)

do the birds stay in the house?

25. Cat girl

Cat girl Member

Yes they have bird cages and my mom lets them out in her computer room at night.they are just like a reg.bird except eat bugs corn etc along with bird food.they are very smart.one is like a grackle a small blackbird and they other is twice as big and looks more like a crow.crows can be taught to talk.my mom has to tie the slide door shut on cages cause they figured out how to open them lol

Carol & Murphy (GA) likes this.
  26. Bobbie And Bubba

Yeah, blackbirds are extremely intelligent and you are right about them learning to talk. A lot of experiments have been done with them such as there food is in a box and the only way they can get it out is to do multiple sequential steps and they have been known to figure it out in unbelievable record times! How neat that you have them.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  27. Carol & Murphy (GA)

I find it just amazing - thanks for sharing

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  28. Squalliesmom

Yes! They even makes "keys" by looking at one and copying it in a reverse image so it is exactly the same. They are amazing birds!

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  29. Bobbie And Bubba

What do you mean "keys" ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.