Yellow All Day - What Dose Should I Give?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ozzy Pawzbourne, Dec 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Ozzy Pawzbourne Well-Known Member

First Cycle of all yellows, no blues. How much vestulin should I give for his PM shot? 1U or go back to the .75?

As much as I hate all the ear pokes, now I am really wishing I had more data!

This cycle Ozzy only dropped down from his AMPS by 71 points to 241 at +5 and then he started going back up. I'm not sure if the 241 +5 was his nadir. It could have been sometime between the +3.5 and +5 readings, but I doubt with how subtle his BG changes were this cycle (compared to other cycles) that he got below 200 this cycle. I feel pretty confident I did not give a fur shot this am.

Going to get one more BG at +10.5 then feed and shoot (because we have to run out to do some errands)...what dose do you think we should give?

Thanks!

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

How long are you going to be gone? (remember, it's Christmas time and you might get stuck wherever you're going so add a little time just in case)

3. Ozzy Pawzbourne

couple of hours---we are those last minute xmas shoppers you hear about.

4. Ozzy Pawzbourne

BTW- I am not super concerned about a hypo event- just trying to figure out what dose would be best. His AM cycle was wierd today.

5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Dark Side, Jo! ;)

6. Ozzy Pawzbourne

OK- here is Ozzy's YELLOW curve from his AM Cycle today:
    AMPS: 312
    +1: 276
    +3.5: 212
    +5: 241
    +7.5: 291
    +9: 294
    +10 (PMPS): 283 (ohh...unexpected small drop)

Feeding now..and he's hungry...been sharking the kitchen for the last 20 mins. Shoot in 30 mins. Do I give 1U or .75U?

Thanks!

7. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Looks like 1 u should be OK based on today's numbers.

8. Critter Mom

What a terrific turn of phrase! :cool:

9. Ozzy Pawzbourne

OK, I'll go with the 1 U. Thanks Kris!

What do you think about his all yellow cycle with barely a drop in BG today? Kind of a stable day sugar wise, but no healing blues or greens. He has only had a few greens so far (probably from too much insulin actually), but he has had several blues. But...I notice that his levels were really stable across the board even though they were all in the yellows and he only went down 71 points from his AMPS. What should I make of this?

10. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Hahah! You know it's true! All cat owners have seen this behavior. It's when they stand in the kitchen next to their kitty bowl and walk in circles...or as my Figgie does, circles your legs as your standing there... circling like a shark. Cats are soo funny! :p

Critter Mom likes this.
  11. Critter Mom

Might be the dose increase, or he might have dipped low in the previous PM cycle and be bouncing a little. The only other suggestion I have is whether you might have had a bit of a fur shot this morning?

Great spreadsheet journalling, BTW. :)

Mogs

Ozzy Pawzbourne likes this.
  12. Critter Mom

Exactly.

Tell me: if one leaps over one's cat when they're exhibiting this behaviour does that count as jumping the shark? :confused:

Mogs

13. Chris & China (GA)

Just be ready just in case....sometimes those flat yellow cycles can precede a very active one!!!

Critter Mom likes this.
  14. Chris & China (GA)

I don't think so because (as anyone with a cat knows), if you tried to "leap over", he'd move real fast, trip you up and you'd fall on the floor....possibly breaking a hip in the process ;)

15. Ozzy Pawzbourne

I really don't think I gave a fur shot. I know we are not perfect, but I really feel confident today that he didn't get a fur shot. I check for wet fur after and sniff him for the Band-Aid like smell (omg...we are freaks!) and didn't see evidence of either. Plus, I really feel like I have got the handle of the insulin shots and the ear pokes down pretty well.

16. Ozzy Pawzbourne

What does this mean? What is an 'active' one? Like...a possible hypo event could be forthcoming with a 1U dose?

17. Critter Mom

You have the right of it, Chris! ;)

18. Chris & China (GA)

Are you using Vetsulin or Lantus? I know Lantus smells like a Band-Aid factory but I don't know what Vetsulin smells like

Critter Mom likes this.
  19. Critter Mom

Cool. I was throwing out possibles. There's a fair bit of detective work involved in this 'ere Sugar Dance at times so it can help to brainstorm a little. :)

20. Ozzy Pawzbourne

You ladies are cracking me up! They say cats are cooler than dogs, but I really think cat owners are cooler than dog owners, too! JMO!! :p:woot:

21. Ozzy Pawzbourne

You know I appreciate it....you ladies have been so wonderful! I want to take back my earlier comment...I really don't think I gave a fur shot, but honestly, you never really know! Maybe I did.

Critter Mom likes this.
  22. Ozzy Pawzbourne

The 'evil' vestulin. With his past history, he usually drops pretty fast so today was a weird turn of events. Didn't know that vestulin doesn't smell like bandaids....but I do know it hurts like hell when it squirts in your eye!!!:blackeye:

Critter Mom likes this.
  23. Chris & China (GA)

I don't think that's the preferred method of administration.....LOL

Critter Mom and Ozzy Pawzbourne like this.
  24. Chris & China (GA)

I'm not sure about Vetsulin, but I know with Lantus, one of the things that they burned into my brain was watch those flat yellow cycles....a lot of times the next cycle they drop a lot lower (and yes, possibly too low)

I'd make sure he has a good sized meal, shoot the 1U and get back home as soon as you can without mowing over a little old lady trying to buy one more roll of wrapping paper

Maybe leave him an extra snack....just in case

Critter Mom and Ozzy Pawzbourne like this.
  25. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Hahah! I don't think so either...but that stuff squirts out of the bottle every time. I'm not sure if we are drawing it up correctly. This event happened the first time I tried to get Hubby to give Ozzy a shot...he drew the insulin into the syringe, withdrew it and the bottle stream squirted directly into my eye!!! Like seriously...what are the odds!!!o_O And that shiz hurt like hell...burned for hours. Then hubby was worried I was going to get hypo myself- we did all this research and saw that it could absorb through your eyes. I had psychosomatic symptoms and felt like my heart was hurting...he brought me sugar water!!!!! Like twice!!! HAHAHAHAH! It's so funny in retrospect. Damn...these cats drive us wild!! Hope this story makes you laugh!! Time for Ozzy's 1U.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  26. Ozzy Pawzbourne

He ate really well tonight after his shark attack - almost 3oz when he normally has about 1.5 oz at breakfast and dinner (plus lots of small snacks every 3 hours in between).

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  27. Critter Mom

Laughed so hard at this I had a coughing fit! :confused:

28. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Glad to bring you some joy. Happy Holidays Mogs!!! :D

Critter Mom likes this.
  29. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Gave the 1U. Decided to do the last minute shopping tomorrow and will monitor Ozzy tonight. See....we are those last minute shoppers you hear about! Mall will probably be better in am than tonight anyways. Only 2 presents left to get..

Critter Mom likes this.
  30. Critter Mom

This thread just keeps on giving!

[​IMG]

31. Critter Mom

Beannachtaí na Nollag, Jo! :)

32. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Thanks! Even though I have no idea what that means....off to google translator! :)

Critter Mom likes this.
  33. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Ohh, I got it. Merry Christmas to you, too Mogs!!! Love your interest in the Gaelic language. I'm part Irish too! Did you see our winter solstice lunar eclipse last night/this morning!? Sorry I'm a science nerd...I work in aerospace so it comes with the territory!

Critter Mom likes this.
  34. Critter Mom

Noooo. It was overcast here. :rolleyes:

Lunar eclipses always remind me of my dad. I miss him so, especially at this time of year. :(

No need to apologise (former engineer who loves physics here). What a cool career! :cool:

35. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Same here...rained for the past 2 days. But rain is very needed in our drought stricken state.

36. Ozzy Pawzbourne

What a neat thing to remind you of your dad. Very cool. Sorry he is no longer with you, but what a great way to remember him!

Critter Mom likes this.
  37. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Not an engineer...just a nerdy attorney who found my way into the aerospace industry.

Critter Mom likes this.
  38. Critter Mom

This has a really good ring to it! :)

39. Critter Mom

One of oh-so-many, Jo. (Real daddy's girl.)

40. Ozzy Pawzbourne

PMShot +1 = 264. He is starting out slow like his AM cycle. Wonder if we will see any blues tonight.

41. Critter Mom

Can you test at +3 tonight, Jo?

It helps a lot to get PM +3 tests to get an idea of safety and possible drop in BG. A lot of cats run lower at night. Without having an idea of what happened in the PM cycles it's trickier to interpret data.

Mogs

42. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Yes, Mogs. I was planning on it. That will be in approx. 1 hour. Will test and post back. Thanks!

Critter Mom likes this.
  43. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Just grabbed a +2. He's at 222. So still cruising down slow. Still in the yellows.

44. Ozzy Pawzbourne

PM shot +3 = 168. First blue of the day. Giving him another snack now. Figgie is sharking too so I know he's also hungie.

Critter Mom likes this.
  45. Chris & China (GA)

Nice Ozzy!!....now you surf safely for your mama tonight!!

46. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Thanks Chris. I'm hoping for the same!

47. Ozzy Pawzbourne

PM +5= 176. He's back on the rise now but in the blues for a good couple hours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.