Yemala 4/19 low +12.5 = 27

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Hroswitha, Apr 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hroswitha

Hroswitha Well-Known Member

Yemala just tested at +6. Reading verified on a One Touch Ultra - stood at 26.

Administered some sugar water. Will test again.

What do I do?

She is a-symptomatic, but I worry.

2. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Re: Yemala 4/19 LOW +6 readings

I would give her straight karo, syrup, honey....do you have any HC food with gravy? You could also give her the gravy but she needs more than sugar water.
    If you don't have any of the above...how about ice cream or even a little dry cat food?

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Do you have any kind of syrup -- corn syrup (Karo), maple syrup, honey, etc? Add several drops to some food -- high carb food if you have it. If not, add the syrup to LC. Re-test in 20 min. and post the numbers in your subject line so they can be seen. (Change the subject line in your first post.)

See this post, as well: handling low numbers

4. Hroswitha

I've got her eating a little low-carb wet food, but she has never liked the stuff with gravy. Shes eating happily.

I shot 1 U at 6 PM. She's got quite a reaction. If I get her through the night (Lord help us), what does this mean for shooting tomorrow?

5. Marje and Gracie

Low carb wet food isn't going to be enough more than likely. You need something with more carbs ....again....syrup? ice cream? honey? dry food?

She has earned a dose reduction of .25u but first you need to get her up and fast....she has nothing to prove. Once you get her up, you absolutely must stay on top of it because she could wobble and go back down. Sienne sent you the link to handling low numbers.

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Good info from Marjorie. Yemala earned a dose reduction.

You're going to need to stay up for a while to make sure Yemala's numbers stabilize in a safe range. This was a really good catch on your part!

7. Marje and Gracie

Plan to retest about 15-20 mins after the test where you got the 26. Did you test her twice then to make sure that was an accurate number? Reread your first post and saw you verified it. Sorry. I'll stay up with you until you get her up to a safe number.

8. Hroswitha

I did test twice, yes.

She has just eaten some cat cat food. I tested at 12:15; will test again in 5.

I do have some honey, I think, and will try to get it into her.

As you can see from my profile, this was our FIRST DAY of testing and shooting insulin. She's been in remission for 5 years; what a sensitive soul she is.

She is not showing any symptoms of discomfort. I'll stay up and keep testing. Doesn't help that I was just diagnosed with bronchitis today. I NEED the sleep. *sigh*

9. Marje and Gracie

Test her before you give her the honey and see if what you gave her is working. Then you can give her honey after. If you give her honey first and then test the number might be skewed a little so we can't tell what she's doing. You can also take the 911 off....like I said, I'll stay up until she's stable.

So sorry about your bronchitis...yikes.

10. Hroswitha

Re: Yemala 4/19 low - 12:45 = 59

I have removed 911 and retested her bg. She is now at 59. She has eaten some low carb food and had a small amount of sugar water. She was patient as I savaged her ears.

I have not added syrup to her yet. I have a syringe with appx. 1.5 mL of maple syrup ready to go, but I'm holding off.

11. Marje and Gracie

Very good!!!! Could you please tell me what you did after you got the 59? Did you give her more food or the honey? Thanks!!

12. Hroswitha

I have done nothing just yet. I'm holding off. The syringe is ready, but I have not dosed her with maple syrup yet.

On the first day back on insulin, I guess I never expected the lows. I will stock up on karo and ice cream tomorrow.

13. Marje and Gracie

Understandable but you are smart to get HC food and some gravy and karo/syrup tomorrow if you feel up to it. You're doing fine but it's important to keep monitoring every 15-20 mins until you start to get a couple rising numbers and then you can back off to every half hour and then every hour provided she is still rising. Karo/sugar water/honey, etc. all wear off really fast. The good thing is, she is at +6 and not +2!!!

Just while we're waiting....next time you need any help just use your current condo so people can see what she had going on earlier in the day. I had to scroll back down and find it so I could see any notes in there or comments anyone might have had today. I'll link it here in case anyone else comes along so they don't have to find it:

http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=41567

14. Hroswitha

Thank you for your patience. I don't even know what a condo is, but I presume it's the earlier thread on Mala from today. I'll add it from now on.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=41567

Husband is of to get kara syrup. I'll have him test her before he goes.

15. Hroswitha

Re: Yemala 4/19 low - 1 AM = 49

1 AM = 49. She's dropping again. Husband is off on an AM run for karo syrup.

Do I administer it to her, or hold off?

16. Marje and Gracie

Sorry about that....yes..a condo is the earlier thread you did today but you don't need to add the link to every post. We've got it now in this condo and folks will catch it if they scroll up and down so it's ok. You're good...doing great. Like Sienne said...great catch. Is Mala acting ok still? One thing that is important is to be sure you don't get her TOO full on food...that's why we often use HC gravy. It helps that you are later in the cycle. Could you please let me know when you get your next number? Thanks so much.

ETA: So she's back down to 49....time to give her more honey/syrup, etc ...I'd give her a generous amount.....at least a ml or so at the very least. Do you know what % carb your food is? If it's a higher level and you don't have any gravy, adding the karo/honey, etc to the food will help to keep her from bobbling. Just be sure you don't feed TOO much. Ok??

17. Marje and Gracie

Everything ok?? Any update?

18. Hroswitha

She doesn't recognize gravy as a food source. Stubborn thing. I'm waiting on the karo, but she's eating some 9 Lives Ocean Whitefish. Listed on J&B chart as 5 mg of carbs. Very low. I'll have to squirt the karo down her throat - I think she's feeling full.

19. Marje and Gracie

Yes...that's fine...just squirt it in her mouth on the side but not straight down her throat. Doesn't like gravy, eh? Well, that's ok...the gravy just helps keep her up more than the karo will. You may be up monitoring a long time with just the karo since it wears off. You doing ok??? You should be coming up on another test, right?

eta: so the process is to test, give her karo, wait 15-20 test, give more karo if needed. We call it wash, rinse, repeat. You do this until she is up safely. Here is what you want to be doing:

20. Hroswitha

She has very stubborn ears. Hard to get blood from her. Just tested - she's at 40.

Still waiting on the karo, but she ate a little more whitefish cat food.

21. Marje and Gracie

Re: Yemala 4/19 low - 1:30 AM = 40

You need to give her the maple syrup now....please do not wait on the karo. The maple syrup is fine. Please give her a generous amount.

Are you warming her ears?

22. Hroswitha

Maple syrup introduced to cat. I gave her 1.5 mL in the side of her mouth. I think she hates me, but she's not hiding or running when I grab her each time. Still patient.

karo syrup is entering the house now.

23. Marje and Gracie

Super ....good job. Give her 20 mins and see what the maple syrup does before you give the karo. The maple syrup should work. She'll forgive you later :D
    Any questions...doing ok?

24. Hroswitha

I'm hanging in there. And can I just say - I am so grateful for all your time, support, and help. Bless you.

Mala is drinking a little ice cream now. Checking bgs in 5. Husband is now in for assistance. Poor bean.

25. Marje and Gracie

No worries, dear. We all help each other....been in your shoes and had folks stay up with me.

Best to not let her have anything RIGHT before you test. Reason is it takes a good 20-30 mins for carbs to show up in the BG number. So best to give the carbs a chance to work, then test, then recarb if need be, wait another 20-30 and test, etc. K?? Good job!! Waiting for next number...come on up Mala!!

26. Hroswitha

Re: Yemala 4/19 low - 1:45 AM = 75

Daddy bean just tested her. He's the best at quick and easy ear sticks.

She's at 75, tested at 1:45 AM.

27. Marje and Gracie

AWESOME!!!! Great job!!! And good job on the testing DH!!! Ok....now you want to just check her again in about 30 mins to be sure she is still rising. If she is coming back down, give her more karo. Again, you want to test every 30 until you get two rising numbers and then every hour until you get two rising numbers.

Because this is her first day back on the juice, we don't know if she will bounce...did she ever before? Because of her really low number, her liver may panic and release counterregulatory hormones and glucose which may cause her number to go WAY up. Don't panic...it's normal. If she's above 200 in the morning, you can shoot the reduced dose of .75u but you must be there to monitor her closely...is that possible? If she is below 200, you need to post and get help before you shoot; also, if she's below 200 in the morning, please do not feed her until you post and ask for help. The only exception to this is if she is below 50...always feed any PS below 50 and POST. Be sure to link this condo so they can see what we did tonight.

How comfortable are you with her number? I can stay up or I can turn it over to my DH.....he is VERY used to handling low numbers with our girl...she likes low numbers. He can keep an eye on you as he is up monitoring Gracie. I have to go to work tomorrow but most important is I will do whatever makes you most comfortable.

28. Hroswitha

Mala is at 86 at 2 AM. Still a-symptomatic. No food since 1:30 or so.

DH - is that your partner? I would be fine if s/he posted, and you can go on to sleep.

Just to be sure I understand - I'm going to test every half hour until I get two consecutive rising numbers, then check on the hour. Only shoot .75 units in the morning, but if she's under 200, wait and post before shooting or feeding.

Am I missing anything?

OH - what do you mean by "bounce"? She was on the juice for so short a time in 2006 that I don't think we ever got a great profile on her.

29. Marje and Gracie

86...fantastic.

Yes...DH is my husband, Mike. He frequently runs our condo when I am working and takes care of Gracie so he's very, very good. Very calm (he's a pilot). He will be up until 2:45 your time so if she's still rising then, he'll probably call it a night if you are ok. You know what to do if she goes back down, right? Test, carb, wait 20-30, test carb, etc...wash, rinse, repeat.

Yes...you have it right. So if you got 75 at 1:45 a.m. and 86 at 2:00 a.m., I'd probably do one more test at 2:30; if she's still coming up, then wait an hour and then an hour after that as long as she continues to rise. If you can, sleep in between but be sure and set your alarm (I sleep with my cell phone). It is very important to do this as even after an hour, she can come back down.

And yes...you have it correct for the a.m.
    1. If she is above 200, shoot a reduced dose of .75u; if you are not comfortable with that...you can always ask for help before you shoot but just don't feed any number above 50. If she is above but close to 200 when you shoot, please be sure you get a +1, +2, +3 and post and watch her closely.
    2. if she is between 50-200, do not feed or shoot, but immediately post and ask for help
    3. if she is below 50, feed, do not shoot, and immediately post for help

Okey doke? If that's ok..I'm off to bed. You did a really good job. I'll wait a few minutes to hear back from you. Hope you feel better really soon.

Oh sorry...just reread your post and saw your question about bounce. A "bounce" is when the liver releases hormones and glucose to protect the body from that low number of 26. Some cats bounce, some don't. Some bounce up into the 400s, some into the 100s...every cat is different (ECID). It can take up to 72 hours of high numbers before you see the bounce clearing. This is where patience is a virtue (not one of mine). If you look at my Gracie's SS, you'll see she has come down the dosing scale very fast lately and right now she is finally clearing a bounce after three cycles of higher, bouncy numbers.

30. Marje and Gracie

Re: Yemala 4/19 low - 2 AM = 86

Mike said he'll be up until 3:30 your time and will continue to check in on you. Please let him know all is ok. Good night!! And, again, you all did great. Next time will be easier.

31. Hroswitha

Re: Yemala 4/19 low - 2:30 AM = 66

Hiya, it's Davey (Renee's husband) and I just got a 66 at 2:30, so she's sneaking back down. She just happily slurped some melted vanilla ice cream. I guess we're gonna test her again at 3:00. I'm sposta be up and bouncing off to work in three hours.

32. Hroswitha

Re: Yemala 4/19 low - 3 AM = 75

numbers are creeping up a little. 3 am sees 75. will test again at 3:30,

33. Marje and Gracie

Hey guys, Mike here. Did you feed her anything after the 3AM 75? If not, and she is higher or the same at 3:30, you can probably wait an hour to test again.

34. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

hi there

I dont know what + hour you are at, but try to get a +11 or +11.5, one hour before your AMPS is due (or 1/2 an hour before)
    This will help give you a heads up as to where is in her numbers.

Try to use the + hours like on spreadsheet, because so many of us are in different time zones, + hours is easier to pinpoint where you are in the cycle.

35. Marje and Gracie

Marje here.I was worried so thought I'd check in. I was going to suggest the same as Ronnie. With the way you've been working to keep her up I would post an+11.5 number and "need help" in your subject line and click on the "?" button even if her number is above 200. Some of the east coast folks should be up soon to help but I would use caution in shooting without someone looking at her numbers the last few hours. I'm headed back to bed..paws crossed you keep her up in safe numbers now.

36. Hroswitha

+12 here, and Mala is at 27 again.

Feeding some kara syrup and food immediately. Holding off on the insulin.

37. Miriam and Putty (GA)

Miriam and Putty (GA) Well-Known Member

Good morning.....any update?
    Do not give any insulin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.