Yes it Does feel overwhelming...:P

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Delores7, Jul 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Delores7

Delores7 Member

My almost 11 yr old Tuxedo cat,Casey, got his diagnosis of diabetes yesterday...I had a pretty good idea this would be the outcome as he had been drinking alot,ravenous but losing weight and lethargic...yet this morning i AM feeling very overwhelmed also.I came on the pc this A.M. to seek out more info and am so glad to have found this support site as my head is in overload from all the info Ive been finding on feline diabetes,treatment,etc and cant seem to soak it all in yet, but I know like all new things it is a learnning process and am just glad treatment is available.
    I am so glad to see all the positive support here which helps me not feel so alone in this.

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

welcome! I'm glad you found this site too! So many helpful and knowledgeable people on here. It is TOTALLY overwhelming at first, but will all quickly become routine. Diabetes is very treatable, and many even go into remission. We will help you through it. Has Casey started insulin yet? If you have any specific health questions, please ask on our main health forum where you will get more eyes on it.

3. Delores7

Delores7 Member

Hi thank you for the nice welcome and encouragement...my vet started Casey on one daily 8 ul dose of Caninsulin which thankfully he was ok with me giving him the shot (so was I... yay )

4. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

Have you already given your cat 8 units????

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

PLEASE let us know if you've given that 8 unit dose!!

6. JanetNJ

Wait a minute, you gave 8 units?? Is that a typo? Do you mean 1 unit, because 8 could literally kill him!!!!!

7. JanetNJ

The starting dose of canisilun is 1 unit every 12 hours! I would bring your cat to the vet before he starts having seizures

8. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Maybe she meant .8 but that's a strange figure. @Delores7 , are you there?

9. Monica & Josie

Monica & Josie Member

Please let us know what's happening as soon as you can @Delores7 , we are all very concerned about your kitty!!:nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:

10. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I really hope you're right about this! :eek::nailbiting:

11. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Oh I do hope it was 0.8 or a typo for 1.0U :nailbiting:

12. Noah & me (GA)

Maybe that was 8 ml., that's 3.2 units on a U100. Hope we find out soon.

13. JanetNJ

She's written on the other thread. She did inject 8 u but fortunately the cat is ok.

14. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

8 ml of U100 insulin is 800 units
    8 ml of U40 insulin is 320 units

15. Noah & me (GA)

I get a Gong on that, maybe a double. Should have said 8 lines would equal .08 cc = .08ml = 8.0 units. That's twice I've made that mistake with a newbie. My mind is elsewhere these days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.