(Yesterday's accidental second post, ignore!) Now linked to current post

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Darcy and Jonesy, Oct 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darcy and Jonesy

Darcy and Jonesy Well-Known Member

Okay ladies,

Be ready to be astounded. I'm truly too stupid to own a cat, never mind 3 of them. I've been reading my needles wrong. At least, how I've been posting them.

(Thread from this morning's post) http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...-141-10-1-2-104-was-increase-too-much.145337/

I KNOW that the first line is one unit. I KNOW this. But for whatever reason, I've been POSTING that he is only getting 0.10. I think, somehow, somewhere I mentally read the 5 as "point 5", so thinking that 1 unit, was actually 0.10.

Don't worry, I've not been giving him amounts that would require calipers. You've NO idea how fricking embarrassed I am right now. None. I'm horrified by my stupidity :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

I gave him 2 units this morning. If everyone is saying that with Lantus he won't drop like a stone (like past Sunday and Monday night) then I'll do 2 units. But I really don't want to go through that again.

I'm going to feed everyone now, they're all starving (or so they say) Again, I can't tell you what a total moron I feel like . . . .

2. Anne & Hyde (GA)

Anne & Hyde (GA) Well-Known Member

We are all learning here ;). At least you figured it out

Darcy and Jonesy likes this.
  3. Darcy and Jonesy

Good God . . . trust me, the f bombs that I'm throwing around right now, my cats are covering their ears :eek::facepalm:

bettyandhank likes this.
  4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

@Darcy Kul ....Let us think on this a minute Darcy...before you shoot 2Units again

5. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

Don't be so hard on yourself. We've all been there. This Sugar Dance is a huge learning curve!
    You'll be fine.:)

6. Darcy and Jonesy

Thank you Paula, but really, I've no excuse. This isn't my first rodeo, but it is at reporting. I've been giving everyone wrong information for such a long time . . .

7. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Don't be too hard on yourself, we all make mistakes as we're learning. You've got it figured out now.

8. Chris & China (GA)

I really think considering the syringe errors, you should go back to the 1 unit dose for at least another cycle or two and let's see how he does now that you're using the human meter...we're getting into the area of "too many variables"

For Lebowski's safety, I think it's probably better

When you have .5 on your spreadsheet, what were you giving? ....and you do need to get some syringes with half unit markings or you'll never be able to do .5 or .25 doses consistently unless you use calipers

9. Darcy and Jonesy

Now all the history on my spreadsheet is bloody useless . . . just useless

10. Darcy and Jonesy

I could just cry Chris, my entire spreadsheet is useless. I know that the 0.10's would be one unit, the 0.20 is two, but I can only assume the 0.25 is 2 1/2 units, but I've NO damn clue what 0.50 is . . . . I agree with going to one unit.

Should I start the spread sheet all over? (I'm going to go feed everyone) They're all starving, will run right back up to the computer once the bowls hit the floor.

I'm sorry everyone

11. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

So can you give us a conversion ?
    0.25u on your ss =
    0.50u =
    0.10u=
    0.20u =

12. Chris & China (GA)

13. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I messed up Furball's dose before by getting my caliper measurements wrong. I went back and put the actual dose I gave on the SS and just made notes in the comments section.

14. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Don't be too hard on yourself Darcy. I've heard of MUCH worse mistakes, such as someone being showed by a vet tech how to shoot 2 units, when the tech in fact showed them how to shoot 20 units! :eek::eek::eek: Only a month later when the caregiver contacted the vet for a new prescription because they'd run out of the vial - did he figure out what was wrong. Thankfully (sort of), the cat had acromegaly and survived. That was a story from a vet in my vet's office at his old place of work. We had one member here who got a cat that had been fostered and getting 10 units instead of 1 for a month and hypoing with seizures. Bottom line, Lebowski is safe and you caught it in time. :bighug:

Like Sandy suggested, I'd put a note in the SS saying to ignore the previous dosing, what the conversions are, and just move on.

15. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

Darcy, you are definitely being too hard on yourself. It's early days and you caught it, Lebowski is fine and it's not too late to start over! I can appreciate the F-bombs flying, but you caught it! I think you have good data on your spreadsheet. If you can't figure out the .50 just put "?" and a "not sure" in the comments - there are only 4 of them.

16. Darcy and Jonesy

Sigh . . . thank you. I'm just so mad as I should know better. I'm not new to this as he was in remission for about 6 months, so I've done this before. Just never filled out the spreadsheet, and was following the dosages given by my vet. Never tested as often as now either.
    Although it is much more in depth re the tracking of all the information, I know this is critically important. It was just a stupid mistake. But I like your idea of putting in the ? for the spots that I've no clue as to what I did.

I'm going to go eat pizza now to console myself, and as others have said, he's okay. He's happy, full tummy, and in an open window.

Yes. Time for pizza . . . thank you to EVERYONE that has once again talked me off the proverbial ledge here!

17. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

no worries - here's the thing. Lebowski is doing fine. So no harm done.

I also had a major syringe error - we started with ProZinc (a u-40 insulin with its own syringes) and when the vet switched punkin to Lantus, he never told me I needed different syringes. So punkin was actually getting 7.5u per shot when I thought he was getting 3. It's a terrible error, but in this case, Punkin's acromegaly was a blessing. No harm done at all.

So - for tonight - I would figure out what you gave this morning and if you think the past few doses where you recorded 0.1u were actually 1.0u, then as you suggested, I'd stick with that 1.0u for a few days and see what it does.

The good news is that you won't make this mistake again. You might make a whole different mistake, but you won't make this one. :D

18. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug: That should be the worst thing that happens, recording wrong. You have kept hm safe. That is ALL that matters.

19. Marycatmom

Marycatmom Well-Known Member

No kicking yourself allowed! We've all made plenty of mistakes. Everyone is safe, and that's all that matters. When you finish the pizza, have some chocolate.

20. bettyandhank

bettyandhank Well-Known Member

Oy.....a whole other condo I didn't know about. I just got through catching up and posting in your other one and that doesn't count the 3rd one I commented in this morning ( from last night). I am guessing my last comments there were redundant now having read through this one. Oh well, I'm not taking it back or restating here cause I'm getting dizzy.
    In the end all will be well. His numbers actually look pretty great so no harm done. And thank G-d for reporting!!!!!!!!!

So it's a do over and we go from here! :bighug::bighug:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  21. Marilyn and Polly

Marilyn and Polly Well-Known Member

And this is what matters. So the bookkeeping got flubbed up. The cat didn't. Push the re-set button and go from here.

Gee, I wish I had pizza. Where's my phone?

Marilyn and Polly

Brashworks likes this.
  22. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

I'm so glad your cat is safe!
    I had a friend dose Spitzer (GA) one time when I was going to be home late. I'd picked up a different brand of syringes. Instead of giving 1 unit, he misread the syringe and gave 10. When I got back and checked with him, showing about the amount he should have given with my fingers, I was horrified to discover the error. I quickly opened a can of high carb food, slammed it down in front of Spitzer and went to the emergency vet. Some $2,000 of critical nursing with IV dextrose later, Spitzer was able to come home.

23. Tara & Ivana (GA)

Tara & Ivana (GA) Well-Known Member

Yay for realising you'd made a mistake rather than not knowing for how many more months, and also yay for pizza! I've recently started using this insulin ruler, maybe that would help? Don't beat yourself up about it, I bet Lebowski doesn't even care, as long as he gets food.

24. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Just want to add my reassurances that you are not, in fact, too stupid to own a cat. Too stupid would be not caring if you got it right or not. Too stupid would be shooting insulin and not testing. You are an excellent, loving bean and you are also human. Forgive yourself. This, too, shall pass. :bighug:

Brashworks and bettyandhank like this.
  25. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

You have made another serious error you know - it's not the human that owns the cat, it's definitely the other way around ;)

Hope you enjoyed your pizza and you've let yourself off the hook by now :)

26. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

@Darcy Kul -

I want more clarification.
    The first line on the syringe is zero. Are you using syringes that are marked in half unit increments? If so, the line below the zero is 0.5u.
    [​IMG]
    The photo above shows the zero line, the plunger at 0.25u, and the next line being the 0,5u line. Typically, the 0.5u line is shorter than the lines for a full unit.

Are you measuring at the first line (i.e, the zero) or somewhere else?

27. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Today is a new day, Lebowski is fine, and we'll help you get all this straightened out :bighug::bighug::bighug:!

28. Darcy and Jonesy

It's funny you say that Mary, as there was chocolate consumed also! heehee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.