Yet another newbie

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sharon14, Aug 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi everybody, my name is Sharon and my 11 year old neutered male cat, Colin, was diagnosed in Feb 2015. The vet started him on 1 u 2x/day Pro Zinc and he is now up to 5 u 2x/day, and has developed neuropathy. I haven't seen much progress, so I decided to do some research instead of just going along with what my vet said, and I found this site. I've been reading posts this last week and have learned a lot. Colin has benefitted too. Since finding this site, I have changed the way I feed him and begun home testing. In the beginning of the week he never got out of the 300's and now he gets into the 200's during the day and I can see the difference! I've also started him on Zobaline and tested him for ketones(so far, so good on that). Everything is still a bit confusing, but I finally see a light at the end of the tunnel thanks to you all. I'm sure that as time goes by I'll get the hang of it with your help. Thanks again!

Judy and Hershey and Critter Mom like this.
  2. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Sharon and extra sweet Colin! Welcome to the best place you never wanted to be!

Oh you've already made a lot of progress - I'm very impressed!!! I know there's lots of confusing stuff but you've already waded thru a lot of it. We have a wonderful 'Health' section for any questions you may have. Dive in, poke around and post questions - we LOVE questions! :)

HUGS and welcome again....

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

We have a protocol for optimizing your use of ProZinc here.

4. Sharon14

Thank you so much for the warm welcome. I'm home today and doing a curve on Colin, so I'm sure I'll have questions when I get more data. It's so overwhelming at times I can't even think what to ask!

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Remember to breathe!
    Colin didn't become a diabetic overnight. He won't be regulated, nor off the juice overnight.

And check out my signature links for info on glucose testing, other assessments, and topics to discuss with your vet (if you're so inclined!).

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  6. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

You're doing a great job and on the right track! You're doing far better than I was when I started out here and had no idea how important it was to change the diet, do home testing and monitor dosing closely.

Am I correct that among your 14 rescues, you have one that is 23 years old?? That is fantastic! Please do tell us your secret to your 23 year old's longevity!

7. Sharon14

Thank you, I'm trying to do right by my boy. I only wish I had started sooner!

As for the rescues, actually I have 15. 14 in the house and 1 in the barn- he doesn't get along with the others. D.J. Is 23 he lived in a barn all his life until these last few years when I moved him inside- against his wishes. He has good genes, his brother Salem made it to 22 and his grandma was 20 when she passed!

Critter Mom and Cat Ma like this.
  8. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

You are on par with BJM who also has 15 rescues!

Maybe D.J. will outlive the current oldest cat who is 26 years old!

Critter Mom likes this.
  9. Sharon14

Yes, I have trouble turning them away. I think this applies to me... image.jpg

10. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

This is hilarious!

11. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome, Sharon and Colin!

Just lurve that piccie. :D Now I'm off to find out who gave them my address ... :rolleyes:

Mogs

Cat Ma likes this.
  12. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

Watch out, Mogs. They're coming your way quickly! No time to run!

Critter Mom likes this.
  13. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Who's running? Bring on the kittehs!!! :D

Cat Ma likes this.
  14. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

LOVE IT! Add a few doggies in that pic and you'll see my house....currently have 20 rescue fuzzy feetz... :)

15. Sharon14

20? Wow that's wonderful. I have 5 horses and 8 chickens too, no dogs, but I live across the road from an animal rescue and they have 20- 30 Great Pyrennes dogs plus assorted mustangs, cats, other dog breeds, you name it. So I just go there for my 'dog fix'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.